Formal night...another way of Holland America getting cheaper?

Riversedge

To the OP and those who enjoy formal nights, I can certainly understand how you feel that eliminating some formal nights is a cut in service. Let's face it - that is exactly what it is. You are receiving less than you otherwise expect.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I think that HAL actually loses money when it cancels a formal night. Unfortunately for the OP, I an guessing this has more to do with the current more casual trend and trying to maintain staffing levels throughout the ship than it is to save money.

It must be really difficult for HAL to schedule staff for formal nights when it doesn't have a clear indication of how many passengers will actually participate. If more and more passengers over numerous cruises are simply not participating in formal night, then I am guessing that HAL must simply concede that formal nights are not meeting their passengers' needs and start eliminating some nights.

I've posted this many, many times. On every formal night in open seating it is packed to the rafters. I tend to eat between 6 and 6:30. It's never as busy on a casual on a casual night. I've heard traditional is too although I can't speak to that. It makes it sound like the dining room is empty. I'd love to hear of your experiences in an empty mdr because we are clearly not doing the same cruises.

cruz chic....

Re; Travel Insurance....forgot to tell you that the firm I mentioned will take into consideration any group travel insurance that you may have.

As an example, we have 60 days of travel insurance with another insurance company through my employer pension plan. I just called and added another 35 days on to the end of that 60 days to give us a total of 95 days. Just over $200. for both of us-both over 60, under 65. $10 million coverage w/ evac.

Also, if we decide to return later than anticipated, as we did last time, we simply call, amend the policy, and add a the required days.

cruz chic....

Re; Travel Insurance....forgot to tell you that the firm I mentioned will take into consideration any group travel insurance that you may have.

As an example, we have 60 days of travel insurance with another insurance company through my employer pension plan. I just called and added another 35 days on to the end of that 60 days to give us a total of 95 days. Just over $200. for both of us-both over 60, under 65. $10 million coverage w/ evac.

Also, if we decide to return later than anticipated, as we did last time, we simply call, amend the policy, and add a the required days.

Thank you! I appreciate the information.

I always find that the formal night has a buzz about it. Just hanging around the atrium people look good, people are having their pictures taken. There's just a buzz about the evening.

Yes the guy that shows up in a robe, or cargo pants and crocs just spoils the buzz. If I want to see a bunch of people in flip flops and shorts

I'll just go to my local mall.

Then there's the female poster who says i love getting dressed up but my husband refuses. What he can 't give a little? I hope she makes him sleep on a deck chair on the promenade deck.

Edited by Wakepatrol

I always find that the formal night has a buzz about it. Just hanging around the atrium people look good, people are having their pictures taken. There's just a buzz about the evening.

Yes the guy that shows up in a robe, or cargo pants and crocs just spoils the buzz. If I want to see a bunch of people in flip flops and shorts

I'll just go to my local mall.

Then there's the female poster who says i love getting dressed up but my husband refuses. What he can 't give a little? I hope she makes him sleep on a deck chair on the promenade deck.

totally agree with all but the last. When DH doesn't feel like getting dressed up I give him the option of the Lido. He has chosen to dress up once he knew he had an option (he likes dressing up but after 8 times, you can get tired)

You left out the guy in the hiking boots :)

Thankfully I haven't encountered any of those.

totally agree with all but the last. When DH doesn't feel like getting dressed up I give him the option of the Lido. He has chosen to dress up once he knew he had an option (he likes dressing up but after 8 times, you can get tired)

You left out the guy in the hiking boots :)

Thankfully I haven't encountered any of those.

Yes...New formal wear promotion

"Buy any tuxedo and get a free pair of hiking boots":eek: