Are CRS Mandatory on planes

tutak

Our daughter is bringing her 4 year old twins on a cruise with us. Are CRS mandatory for 4 year olds or can they just fly with seat belt fastened? My daughter is checking in 2 booster seats for the short ride from the airport (FLL) and Port Everglades.

No they aren't required, though they are recommended in case of turbulence. Some car seats can be attached to rolling Carry on luggage with a mommy hook so they can be transported through the terminal. All crs need to be FAA approved, and you should either have a sticker on the crs or bring a copy of the page in he manual (usually available online) to prove that the crs is approved for flying.

Edited by kitkat343

Go with the booster seats. We will be getting a Bubble Bum booster for DD before our next trip. Keep in mind the booster seats can't be used on an airplane.

DD flew cross country at a little over 3 years old with just the seat belt & was fine. We would have used a CARES harness on the plane, but she was above the max height for it.

Thanks for the advice and information.

I just confirmed with United Airlines that the 4 year old twins did not need to be in CRS and could fly in the airline seat with the normal seat belt. United also confirmed that we could check two booster seats at no cost to take to Fort Lauderdale.

The twins will be well taken care of. Their mother who has a Masters Degree in physical therapy will be sitting with them, their father will be sitting across the aisle nesx to my wife and I who will be penniless after paying for all this. Our other daughter has a BS in nursing and her two children (8 and 11) will be sitting in front of the twins.

Everyone, please have a Merry Christmas.