Advice for a quick and painless check-in ( Miami)

hlb76

We are sailing from Miami for the first time in years. Our first cruises where from there but since we have avoided it recent years.

What I remember is it being chaos! I'm hoping to get some advice to make it a little more painless. We are a group of 10. One group on 3 has FTTF. Another group of 3 are previous cruisers but its been a while. The other 4 are brand new to this! I'm hoping more FTTF becomes available but not holding my breath anymore. I would like for us to stay semi together but I'm not giving up my FTTF perks for the ones late to the show.

What time should be be there for an early boarding number?

I'm assuming plenty of porters will be on hand to take out luggage as in all ports.

From there is it the normal run through the xray machine/ metal detector and then into the building to check in.

I've heard they put in shelf service kiosks - what are these all about and how easy to use?

Ive dreaded going back to Miami for a long time but they had the best options for us this time around.

I would suggest getting to the port around 10 AM. They may allow people to entry a bit early, but that'll only work for persons with only carry-on luggage. Until around 10:30 most porters are assisting debarking passengers. This may vary depending upon when the prior cruise is permitted to debark, again, depending upon inspections or other delays that may occur and for which you cannot plan.

Yes you go through the scanners then tot he boarding area where you fill out your health docs and get a boarding zone number from an attendant. Then you stand in line for the next available Carnival rep to check you in. Then you sit around and wait until your boarding number is called. Most boardings begin around 11:30/11:45 and if you're in the first 10-15 boarding zones, you'll be on board and in the lunch line on the Lido by 12:15.

I can't answer about the self service kiosks, but would assume they may or may not save time. If you have any issues or difficulty using the kiosks, you'll be sent to a service rep any way.

I wouldn't stress too much! We went to the port of Miami in 2013 and we had a great experience.

I know the self service kiosks are there but I would avoid them unless you really need to. I think it had been debated a while back weather it really saves time.

What can you do to make your check in more smooth when you get there?

1. Have your online check in done for all on the cruise.

2. Are you paying for your online expenses with a credit card? Have it handy.

3. Have everyone's documents ready and organized. If not using passports make sure everyone knows where all their ID's are.

We got there around 10:30 and our taxi driver dropped us off right to where the porters were collecting luggage. We had no problem locating one and they took our luggage quickly.

You will go through an x-ray machine and then through the check in process. But if you go this early there really should be no reason to need to use the Kiosks. There shouldn't be much of a line and you shouldn't have to wait long at all to get to the desk to talk to a check in agent and get your cards.

We had FTTF and boarded right around 11:15-11:30. It was very smooth and pain free!

Your three cabins with FTTF will be going to a difference check in area.

Are your other past guest platinum cruisers? if not they will be going to the regular check in area.

you will not be boarding together since you are paying for your FTTF and they can not board before you-- but if you all get to the pier about 10:30 they will be boarded not soon after you anyways.

Will they be meeting you in your cabin? or up on the lido buffet area?

A few weeks back we took an alternative route to being first on and decided we had 7 days to take it all in. We went to a leisure breakfast and got a haircut and didn't hit the port until probably 12:30 or so which is much later than we ever have.

It was nice because we weren't stressed about getting on. When we got through XRay (which seemed pretty easy) we did stand in the queue line for a bit. It was nice to be able to get right on with our room ready and could drop off our bags before walking around.

Now I know that doesn't help your specific question, but in a way, maybe those without the FTTF can simply meet you at noon or 1 and sleep in a little bit that day :).

For others that may read it, I know that we are usually anxious to get on and get a drink of the day and start eating, but we found that pacing ourselves this time around made for a much more relaxing start to the trip. We didn't feel like we had a schedule to keep just to start our vacation. :D

Sorry I will try to clear this up a little more.

1 cabin has FTTF

3 cabins no FTTF/ no priority

Of those 3 other cabins 2 cabins are virgin cruisers.

We all 10 will be splitting two rental cars and will drop us all off at the port with luggage and 2 will return the rental.

The rest of us will go check in and just meet the last on board. I know the newbies want to be with someone a bit more experienced. We will be fine no mater what! I'm just trying to get ideas!!

Having been on the Glory out of Miami this past November, Miami isn't so bad. Get there around 11 PM, even if you get a message to get there later. Have all the luggage tags made up to the cabin that has the FTTF and it should all get there early. FTTF cabin should get them on after the wedding parties, Diamond, Priority, etc. before they start calling regular cabin passengers. You can get the medical paper online and have everything in hand and filled out before getting in line. You will save time and aggravation. FTTF, if the ship has the 2.0 upgrades, head to Guys Burgers and get the first of what will probably be many visits.

Sorry I will try to clear this up a little more.

1 cabin has FTTF

3 cabins no FTTF/ no priority

Of those 3 other cabins 2 cabins are virgin cruisers.

We all 10 will be splitting two rental cars and will drop us all off at the port with luggage and 2 will return the rental.

The rest of us will go check in and just meet the last on board. I know the newbies want to be with someone a bit more experienced. We will be fine no mater what! I'm just trying to get ideas!!

I am not sure if it has changed, but when we had FTTF in Miami, we did not sit somewhere special waiting for the embarkation to begin. We were just given priority cards and said listen for the announcement and it will be called. Sure enough we sat in the regular area with everyone else. That was fine with us. Point being, your FTTF people can find a seat because they will likely get through the line before everyone else and the other non FTTF people can find them and come sit with them and wait for boarding to begin. Then maybe you can have a meeting point set for when you all get on the ship? You shouldn't be separated for long. The non FTTF people were boarding right after us. They were calling zones 1-3 while we were going up the stairs. So essentially they could easily meet up with you.

I'll add that there are different terminals in Miami which do things slightly differently. The biggest change is usually where you actually drop off your luggage, and I've sometimes have trouble finding out where to do that when you get there early like some people are telling you.

If you're there while passengers are still debarking, then there's usually only 2-3 porters taking luggage at that point - most of the porters are assisting people getting off the ship. One of the terminals (when I went on the Breeze) had drop off actually away from the terminal, on the far corner of the bus transportation area for that terminal. Another terminal (when I went on the Splendor recently) had drop off right at the corner of the terminal - and the porter there actually told me I couldn't stop at the point they were at - I had to move further ahead of them instead.

Getting there at 10 or 10:30 will usually mean you get to board fairly early as FTTF, Platinum, or even neither, and with fairly small lines -- but you may have to sit and wait after you check in until 11 or even as late as noon, which is the latest I've ever seen them start boarding in Miami. On the other hand, getting there at 1 or 2 will get you slightly longer lines, but you'll board right after checking in. You'll have to decide which is better for you.

Having been on the Glory out of Miami this past November, Miami isn't so bad. Get there around 11 PM, even if you get a message to get there later. Have all the luggage tags made up to the cabin that has the FTTF and it should all get there early. FTTF cabin should get them on after the wedding parties, Diamond, Priority, etc. before they start calling regular cabin passengers. You can get the medical paper online and have everything in hand and filled out before getting in line. You will save time and aggravation. FTTF, if the ship has the 2.0 upgrades, head to Guys Burgers and get the first of what will probably be many visits.

I'd make that 11 AM. ;)

We are gratefully Platinum and since FTTF was implemented they kinda board together. .

In the times I have left from Miami as platinum, about 4, this is how it has been each time. Everyone went to a priority room, and everyone was called at the same time from that room. FTTF, Platinum, Diamond all went at once.

To answer the OP's question.

There are plenty of porters, you go through x-ray and then check in. I know I used the self serve kiosk once, but it was too long ago to really comment.

We get there around 10:30 or so. Give or take, and we have always arrived before boarding started.

Under your scenario, with FTTF coming into play, I would all arrive early. This way, those who are not priority boarding, are in the earlier zones. That may be the closest you will get at boarding together.

In the times I have left from Miami as platinum, about 4, this is how it has been each time. Everyone went to a priority room, and everyone was called at the same time from that room. FTTF, Platinum, Diamond all went at once.

I know Platinum and Diamond cruisers rant and rage over being commingled with FTTF folks, but FTTFers are limited. and based on DW's 3 cruises since becoming Platinum, it's no big deal. At most 5 minutes if you get in the back of the line. You're still way ahead of Zones 1-5, who could be front of you on the Lido, if you head to your cabin first to drop off stuff. But again no big deal, unless you're trying to be the first cruisers in the TRF Pub and get a snap and a freebie TRF Ale.:rolleyes:

I know Platinum and Diamond cruisers rant and rage over being commingled with FTTF folks, but FTTFers are limited. and based on DW's 3 cruises since becoming Platinum, it's no big deal. At most 5 minutes if you get in the back of the line. You're still way ahead of Zones 1-5, who could be front of you on the Lido, if you head to your cabin first to drop off stuff. But again no big deal, unless you're trying to be the first cruisers in the TRF Pub and get a snap and a freebie TRF Ale.:rolleyes:

Agreed. Not a big deal. Even faster to board if you skip the embarkation picture.