Returning GEM Cruisers

QuickieGlenn

We tendered in St. Thomas and Tortola last week. In Tortola we did a NCL excursion to The Baths and the ferry picked us right up from the ship, so we didn't have to take the standard tenders. I didn't get off the ship in St. Thomas. I stayed onboard with my mother in law, because she couldn't tender in her wheelchair. Hopefully others have some more input!

Sorry, yes I was asking about Tortola

I am on the GEM in February and was looking for the latest info on how the dock was coming

I too am in a wheelchair and tendering is not an option, but am traveling with a couple who have never been there

At least it looks like new will be docking in St Thomas since there is only 2 ship in that day

When we reached Tortola we were tendered and did not have much time to do anything. It was 30 minutes away from the beach. We docked at 7am and had to return at 1pm. Shops were not all opened when we got to the beach, so a bit disappointed NCL chose to leave at 1pm. The ship was at a complete standstill about 3 hours after we left tortola for about 2-3 hrs. Greedy NCL.

Just got home today after our Cruise on the Gem.

I was quite worried about the tenders as I have a slight disability.

To be perfectly honest both tenders were a breeze. So easy to get on and off with lots of people to help. We found the Tender in St Thomas saved us a lot of time. No long queues to get transport to take us into the town. It was our very first Cruise with NCL and we were very impressed. There is a lot of building work going on in Tortola but it didn't spoil our day. Loved meeting people for the Huge Cruise Critic get together in the Bliss Lounge but sadly missed the Cabin crawl as I wasn't very well. If you have a Cruise booked for the Gem, you will love it.

What is the condition of the Dock

Is it even close to being completed?

I also read that they are building shops near the pier?

We just got off the Gem on Monday and were so thrilled we were able to go to Tortola. An absolutely beautiful island. The tendering process was well organized. You should consider an excursion if you haven't already. We chose the Land & Sea offered by NCL - it was breathtaking.

The dock is far from being complete and there is lots of construction going on for the shops that will eventually be built - again far from being done. I believe that I read that it was all going to be finished early 2015 but honestly from what we saw, very unlikely.

I was on the last Gem cruise... Tortola was great, did the Baths. NCL basically announced if you don't have an excursion you can't shop when you get off the ship so they didn't recommend getting off. We got picked up at the ship by Speedys. We were suppose to get off at 730am and met in the Stardust but there was a medical emergency and they had to stop letting people off the ship for a period of time. Then Speedys was late.. We sat there until probably around 830ish. NCL said they would allow our full tour, not leave us and they refunded us 20% of what we paid for the excursion. We were suppose to be back to the ship by 12:30 I believe it was more around 2 and then we left not too long after. Almost like they were waiting for our tour to get back. Agree... Port nowhere near ready. I didn't ask about time frame. St. Thomas was easy, but again we met in the Stardust for our excursion. We didn't just walk off to do things on our own though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the last Gem cruise... Tortola was great, did the Baths. NCL basically announced if you don't have an excursion you can't shop when you get off the ship so they didn't recommend getting off. We got picked up at the ship by Speedys. We were suppose to get off at 730am and met in the Stardust but there was a medical emergency and they had to stop letting people off the ship for a period of time. Then Speedys was late.. We sat there until probably around 830ish. NCL said they would allow our full tour, not leave us and they refunded us 20% of what we paid for the excursion. We were suppose to be back to the ship by 12:30 I believe it was more around 2 and then we left not too long after. Almost like they were waiting for our tour to get back. Agree... Port nowhere near ready. I didn't ask about time frame. St. Thomas was easy, but again we met in the Stardust for our excursion. We didn't just walk off to do things on our own though.

They still must allow you to get off and do your own thing, I know there are shops a little ways into town

h

They still must allow you to get off and do your own thing, I know there are shops a little ways into town

they were allowing it... But really wasn't recommending it. They said if you think you are getting off the ship to go shopping right at port, you can't and there was nothing there.

We tendered in St. Thomas and Tortola last week. In Tortola we did a NCL excursion to The Baths and the ferry picked us right up from the ship, so we didn't have to take the standard tenders. I didn't get off the ship in St. Thomas. I stayed onboard with my mother in law, because she couldn't tender in her wheelchair. Hopefully others have some more input!

Hi, I know there is a tender for Tortola, but never had to tender in St. Thomas!! We were on the Gem 12/1 for 12 nights and no tender in St. T. They had the 'free' trolley bus from the pier to shopping areas. They go around all day. In all our trips to St. Thomas, we never tendered and we were on 4 different cruise lines.

Quite a surprise.

Hope you had a good cruise.:)

Edited by UandMe4Ever

Hi, I know there is a tender for Tortola, but never had to tender in St. Thomas!! We were on the Gem 12/1 for 12 nights and no tender in St. T. They had the 'free' trolley bus from the pier to shopping areas. They go around all day. In all our trips to St. Thomas, we never tendered and we were on 4 different cruise lines.

Quite a surprise.

When 6 ships are docked on same day than one has to tender. We have tendered in St. Thomas before. Quick and easy. Plus the added benefit of being dropped off right in the middle of town.

Quite a surprise.

Agree. I just checked, and we have been to St. Thomas seventeen times on cruises, and have never tendered.