Is an Australian driver's licence OK in Alaska?

Kinkacruiser

Not sure, but I understand that while you do not need an international drivers licence to hire a car it would be needed if there is an accident involving the police in the USA. I'm happy to be corrected

Every state has their own driving laws, so for Alaska, if their law says you license is O.K., then it is good for that state only.

Every state has their own driving laws, so for Alaska, if their law says you license is O.K., then it is good for that state only.
the IDL / IDP is accepted at the federal level as a translation into about 10 languages of your legal DL. Not something that's legislated by states.

the lovely mrs b-d requires that i live (and DRIVE!!!!!!) in Italy for 5 weeks every year so I've had a valid IDP for about 30 years. I've only had to show it once, at an immigration check point, where the officer w/my passport, IDP, and DL only walked halfway back to his car before he realized that we were not the droids he was looking for.

like half of the technical questions posted here, you should be asking your insurance carrier and rental agency, not a bunch of hacks.

also, in alaska we tend to drive on the right, but not always.

fair sailing.

the IDL / IDP is accepted at the federal level as a translation into about 10 languages of your legal DL. Not something that's legislated by states.

the lovely mrs b-d requires that i live (and DRIVE!!!!!!) in Italy for 5 weeks every year so I've had a valid IDP for about 30 years. I've only had to show it once, at an immigration check point, where the officer w/my passport, IDP, and DL only walked halfway back to his car before he realized that we were not the droids he was looking for.

like half of the technical questions posted here, you should be asking your insurance carrier and rental agency, not a bunch of hacks.

also, in alaska we tend to drive on the right, but not always.

fair sailing.

Here is the US government's official response.

http://answers.usa.gov/system/templates/selfservice/USAGov/#!portal/1012/article/2815/International-Driving-Permit-IDP

Yes.. an International Driving Permit is allowed in any state. BUT the original post was whether they could use their Australian license WITHOUT one. Note the official US response indicates that use of a foreign license WITHOUT the IDP is subject to each states laws.

Yes.. an International Driving Permit is allowed in any state. BUT the original post was whether they could use their Australian license WITHOUT one. Note the official US response indicates that use of a foreign license WITHOUT the IDP is subject to each states laws.

by at least three UN conventions the US federal govt has signed, valid Australian (and other signatories) DL's used by a tourist are acceptable in all US states and territories. state's attempts to legislate otherwise have been declared unenforceable.

again, check with your insurance provider and rental agency about their specific requirements.

an IDP is beneficial if your DL is not in a language common to where you are driving.

As an Aussie, NO, your present license is all you need. You do not need an International Driving Permit (no such thing as a License) and the IDP is only used to translate your own current license in another language where English is not an official language. I have never obtained an IDP and have hired in Alaska, western Canada, Colorado and Nevada.

Insurance has got absolutely nothing to do with an IDP or not.

Edited by cruiseonecer