Raw Sewage ruined cruise in Grand Suite

andreamarc

Carnival is the Southwest Airline of the Seas.

More like "Spirit Airlines" of the seas.. But as long as im "P" with Carnival, I will continue to sail with them. I can ignore other pax that don't act correctly in nature.

I also noticed they don't enforce the new anti smoking rules on balconys. Since my neighbor smoked every night on theres since I like to sleep with the door open to hear the prop wash. This was last week.

Just back from our cruise in a Grand suite U108 on Paradise. Not good. I usually don't spend a lot of time on these boards when I return, but I think it is my duty to warn people considering spending the money on a Grand suite. It's not so grand. We spent the whole cruise unable to go on the balcony unless we were willing to tolerate the stench of raw sewage gas smells. It was so bad it infiltrated the room and really came blasting in if we had the door open enough just to get in and out. Needless to say, we did not spend time on the balcony.

This is a party boat with a lot of people drinking heavily and smoking tons of cigarettes. All that is fine unless you don't do it and don't like it.

I will cruise NCL if I want suite (VIP) treatment. You absolutely will not be happy with Carnival if you expect that booking a suite will get you any VIP consideration. There is none.

Paradise would be ok if I were getting a free or really inexpensive cruise. We will not book an expensive cabin again.

Oh, the beds were like rocks- a surprise I did not expect in the Grand suite.

The raw sewage smell is a deal breaker. If you pay to use a space and it becomes unusable due to ship issues/lack of maintenance/poor design that caused sewage smell, then you deserve some sort of compensation. Personally, my hubby and I are in our rooms quite a bit during a cruise because we get very little time in "real life" to just relax. If we were unable to relax in our cabins, then it would greatly impact our vacation. It should be expected that all guest cabins and balconies that are sold on any sailing are 100% useable.

I hope that you have contacted CCL and that you can get a resolution.

More like "Spirit Airlines" of the seas.. But as long as im "P" with Carnival, I will continue to sail with them. I can ignore other pax that don't act correctly in nature.

I also noticed they don't enforce the new anti smoking rules on balconys. Since my neighbor smoked every night on theres since I like to sleep with the door open to hear the prop wash. This was last week.

Obviously this bothered you and you're aware this is a violation of the cruise ticket contract, but did you do anything about it when you were onboard?

.................................................The next morning I asked if we could get a priority disembark so I could get her to a hospital, and I was told no. Despite all of that, if I could sail the Pride again for $1500 for a balcony when she comes back to Baltimore, I would probably do it. Any more than that, and I will drive to New York and get on the Breakaway.

Where was your luggage? Did you take it off yourself or did you have them take it to the dock for you? If it was taken down the night before there would have been no way (or extremely difficult) for them to find your luggage.

Hope her wrist is better.

By the way, how could your expectations be sky high for the Grandeur of the Seas because it would have costed $5,000, but absolutely no expectations for the Carnival Pride because it was $1,500? Surely you at least expected to have the basic necessities to live and be provided with safe/secure living conditions.

Perhaps I should have said, you get what you pay for. Of course I expected the basics and maybe a bit more. I did not expect great entertainment. The Pride certainly didn't deliver that. I did not expect the food to be anything to write home about. It was slightly better than I expected. I expected the room to be clean, and it was clean, but it was in pretty bad shape. The laminate on the countertops and tables were cracked and chipped. The mattress was terrible. Even the cheapest hotels now have flat screen televisions. The Pride did not, and cruise ships really benefit from flat screens with the limited space. It is my understanding that nothing was done to the staterooms during the recent dry dock.

raw sewage smell , and not a clue why or were it came from. Nobody could give you a answer or did you forget to ask. Raw sewage smell coming from out side, and lets throw in smoking to make it sound good. Nobody else having the same problem if this was from outside. Nobody that was on the same cruise having the same problem ? Don't go on Carnival and you will make the problems go away. If they were not addressed at the time it really don't matter anymore.

So two people were breaking the rules. :rolleyes:

Edited by Out to sea!

Sorry that it wasn't what you expected. But may I ask? Did you research this ship, or suite perks on Carnival? Paradise is one of Carnival's oldest and smallest ships, whose staterooms have never been refurbished. Also, a little bit of researched would've revealed that there are basically ZERO suite perks on Carnival. While I understand that you may be disappointed, you should've known these facts before you sailed.

IMHO, Paradise and other Fantasy class ships are great for quick, inexpensive, unpretentious getaway. So I honestly don't get people that spend extra on a "suite" on Carnival, specially on these older, smaller ship. For that amount you can sail on a balcony stateroom on a newer ship, on a longer itinerary, or on a different cruise line.

I have sailed carnival before and as I said I knew there were no perks but I am re-stating it for those who don't realize it. I did not however expect stench permeating the cabin, nor did I expect horrifically hard beds. My post was to let others know not to be the Grand suite thinking it will be much better than any other cabin on the ship except for size.

I'm curious if you informed guest services or housekeeping about the odor?

If so, was there anything they tried to do to remedy the situation?

As far as your cruisemates being "party-on-to-the-max", well that's usually the case for shorter cruises.

My point is basically don't waste the money on a suite on Paradise. Back to NCL penthouse for me. VIP is great -- I miss my butler!

My point is that Carnival is incredibly inexpensive, and that is a big reason why people choose them. Basically, it's what everyone else is saying as they make excuses for what happened. When people say things like, "Why would you book a suite on Carnival?", that kind of proves the point. Why does Carnival offer suites if they are going to have uncomfortable beds and smell like sewage? Nevermind the perks. The price difference between a Carnival suite and one from NCL or RCI should be fair warning that many of the perks won't be there, but is a comfortable bed and no sewage smell too much to ask? Carnival seems to be embracing being the Southwest of the Seas. They aren't building new ships. They consider throwing a burger joint onboard and some EPA mandated scrubbers to be a rehab to their aging fleet.They are cheap though, and that's not a bad thing, but it is going to attract the booze cruise crowd. I enjoy sailing on the Pride when it's in Baltimore. It's a very cheap getaway and I will partake in the Cheers program. I don't go in with any expectations, so I have never been let down. The ports are awful. The ship is a bit tired and dark, but after the 6th drink you really don't notice it.

Yes they are building new ships, 2 to be exact. Vista for 2016 and her yet to be named sister for 2018.

I had problems on my last 2 cruises with the beds being extremely firm. I have read on here that a lot of people have noticed the change in the beds. I think right now it is hit or miss on them. My last 2 room stewards both admitted that they have changed the mattresses. As the old ones wear out they get replaced with the more firm, non-pillow top new ones. They are awful and Carnival wont admit they have changed.:mad:

I have sailed on the Paradise twice...the first time was a 5 day Sat-Thurs in November, second time was 4 day Thurs-Sun in June! It was like a different ship between the two cruises. A definite party crowd in June but more families and not party crowd in November. We've enjoyed the ship but know it is an older and smaller ship.