Help needed for a port stop in Georgetown without Sting Rays or 7 mile beach

SteveinPhilly

Hi! We are on a cruise in three weeks which will stop in Georgetown.. I’m not interested in the beach (I burn easily) or swimming with Sting Rays (same reason) but looking for events to fill the day – and I love to take photos and don’t mind some walking.

Is there enough to do within walking distance of downtown? I see there is a self guided walking tour map. Or can someone recommend a good private tour guide for maybe a 2-3 hour tour?

Thanks!

Earlier this month out excursion to stingray city was cancelled due to high winds. So we decided to go explore the city as you leave the port gates there will be people trying to sell tours of the city. We tried to ignore them but one guy stood out among the others. He was offering a tour of the city which included seeing the governer's mansion, Hell, a tortugo rum cake store where you can buy rum and rum cakes and a brief stop at the dolphin encounter.He would drop you off at the beach if you wanted. The guide was very informative about the island and the history of it. He would always crack jokes about relatives that own much of the island. It was about a 2 hr. tour around the island. He called himself Colten Cash Money. It was $39 a person.

Earlier this month out excursion to stingray city was cancelled due to high winds. So we decided to go explore the city as you leave the port gates there will be people trying to sell tours of the city. We tried to ignore them but one guy stood out among the others. He was offering a tour of the city which included seeing the governer's mansion, Hell, a tortugo rum cake store where you can buy rum and rum cakes and a brief stop at the dolphin encounter.He would drop you off at the beach if you wanted. The guide was very informative about the island and the history of it. He would always crack jokes about relatives that own much of the island. It was about a 2 hr. tour around the island. He called himself Colten Cash Money. It was $39 a person.

Thanks Breadman. Appreciate the tip. Aren't the Governor's Mansion and Tortuga Rum Factory walkable from the Cruise Port? I thought they were.

I did some research on Trip Advisor and found that there is a self guided walking toup but yiu need to pick up map at Library.

My Plan B - if I can get a definitive answer from a local - is to take a public bus round trip and see what I can. I find this works great in ports - or US cities - where I have no planned agenda.

Getting excited about the cruise in 17 days!

Happy New Year!

Steve

Governor's Mansion and the Tortuga Rum Factory are not only not near the port, they're not even near each other. Not sure if a bus goes by the rum factory, but I believe the Seven Mile Beach (West Bay Rd) buses go by the governor's mansion. Cayman buses are not like buses in the US, btw, they're mini-van-style short buses with relatively limited routes compared to a major US city.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Bookbabe - I'm now all set. My friends at the Rum Cake Factory are picking us up in town and will drop me off at the Turtle Farm if I still have time to see it. Also I have 2 stop Swim with the Sting Rays tour booked in the morning.

Muzz - thanks for tip on the Car Museum. I'm not an old car fan (Well I have a22 year old Taurus still running but that's the extent of old car interest ;) But yiur post will hopefully help others. Thanks to both of you.

We leave TOMORROW! Whoopee!:)