Private cabana

rdemn

The stewards are cleaning up at 5pm, and frequently have other assigned duties. Sitting in the cabanas after then is usually OK, but occasionally there are cocktail parties there, and other events.

The use of the Retreat Cabanas for the Tamirind Candlelight Cabana dinners was a topic a couple of months ago. We personally did not like being asked to vacate ours on the NA so that the dinner could be set up. I mentioned this to one of the officers on the Noordam at the Captain's Suite Guest Reception on our recent cruise. That officer was familiar with the discontent of Retreat Cabanas users on the Eurodam and NA for their being bumped to accommodate another revenue event. He said he thought that the decision to do the Cabana dinners was not fully vetted by the concerned departments. Interesting insight...

Dennis

The use of the Retreat Cabanas for the Tamirind Candlelight Cabana dinners was a topic a couple of months ago. We personally did not like being asked to vacate ours on the NA so that the dinner could be set up. I mentioned this to one of the officers on the Noordam at the Captain's Suite Guest Reception on our recent cruise. That officer was familiar with the discontent of Retreat Cabanas users on the Eurodam and NA for their being bumped to accommodate another revenue event. He said he thought that the decision to do the Cabana dinners was not fully vetted by the concerned departments. Interesting insight...

Dennis

That is annoying to be sure. Glad you mentioned it. I never thought to do that myself.

The stewards are cleaning up at 5pm, and frequently have other assigned duties. Sitting in the cabanas after then is usually OK, but occasionally there are cocktail parties there, and other events.

I think most people would be bright enough to figure out to vacate if there was a party going on.

I'll be sailing on the Noordam next week and was wondering if anyone knew the cost and procedure on booking a cabana?

Please see post 9 in this thread. Take a look at the attached pdf in that post. It's a bit old but I'm pretty sure the pricing is still accurate.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2125867&highlight=retreat+cabanas

Edited by cruz chic

I'll be sailing on the Noordam next week and was wondering if anyone knew the cost and procedure on booking a cabana?

Call HAL ask for ship services. That is the department that can book the cabanas. Not sure if your ship has cabanas but they are the people who will know. There are two types. Lido level is our choice because they are right at the pool. More activity, more people watching.Other type is one level up and are moe quite and private.

Call HAL ask for ship services. That is the department that can book the cabanas. Not sure if your ship has cabanas but they are the people who will know. There are two types. Lido level is our choice because they are right at the pool. More activity, more people watching.Other type is one level up and are moe quite and private.

The Noordam has Retreat cabanas, not Lido cabanas. Two posts before yours someone even gave the names of the cabin attendants.

We booked the Noordam cabana in November for one day while in port for $45. They told us it would be $75 for a sea day. We booked it through the concierge (we had a suite). Price included bottled water, champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, lunch brought to us (from Dive In). They also brought us ice cream and lemonade.

We got up there when they opened. An hour later it poured. They ran over and closed the cabana sides. Rain stopped, cabana opened. Rained again, closed. Rain stopped. Rained again. The attendants had to sweep the water off the deck with a broom as it really accumulated. But the rain didn't stop them from waiting on us! We just stayed put and opened/closed the cabana depending on the rain. We also found it interesting to watch the pool deck cover open/close/open/close as well due to the rain!

Edited by scopewest

And Kerwin brought us BREAD PUDDING from the Lido!!!!.. I had been praising the bread pudding for days with our travelling friends who had not sailed HAL previously. Seriously, the attendants Mark and Kerwin were great. We still have a Southern Wayfarer on Noordam booked for March. We already have our starboard retreat cabana reserved. Unfortunately, we may have to cancel that cruise for work. We were looking forward to seeing Mark and Kerwin again. Sorry, for the overly syrupy praising of these beverage stewards, but they really are that good. Yes, we did mention them by name on our post-cruise survey....

Dennis

And Kerwin brought us BREAD PUDDING from the Lido!!!!.. I had been praising the bread pudding for days with our travelling friends who had not sailed HAL previously. Seriously, the attendants Mark and Kerwin were great. We still have a Southern Wayfarer on Noordam booked for March. We already have our starboard retreat cabana reserved. Unfortunately, we may have to cancel that cruise for work. We were looking forward to seeing Mark and Kerwin again. Sorry, for the overly syrupy praising of these beverage stewards, but they really are that good. Yes, we did mention them by name on our post-cruise survey....

Dennis

Would they be in the cabanas? I know on the NA the most time the stewards can spend in the cabanas is 2 weeks. Is it different on the Noordam?

Would they be in the cabanas? I know on the NA the most time the stewards can spend in the cabanas is 2 weeks. Is it different on the Noordam?

Funny you ask this, as we were thinking we had Kerwin on the Noordam back in February . They told us they get assigned to the cabanas for their last month or so of their contracts. We have had 3 cabanas on 3 Collector's Cruises of no less than 14 days. And we have always had at least one of the cabana stewards leave at the mid point of each cruise, to head home.

Funny you ask this, as we were thinking we had Kerwin on the Noordam back in February . They told us they get assigned to the cabanas for their last month or so of their contracts. We have had 3 cabanas on 3 Collector's Cruises of no less than 14 days. And we have always had at least one of the cabana stewards leave at the mid point of each cruise, to head home.

Both mine changed mid way thru the 14 days. They were not good so I was happy but the new ones were no better. The cabana stewards were awesome in 2012. Would love to see them again.

Sorry. I am just a lowly fare-paying passenger. I am not privy to the intricacies of crew-assignment procedures on the fleet or a given ship. I was just relating what I had understood speaking with the cabana attendants. I will be happy if I see these two again on another HAL cruise. In truth I am more interested in hearing about really good crew members who I personally will interact with in contrast to knowing who the captain or cruise director or hotel manager will be on a given cruise. I am certain that any captain will be happy with me if I obey his orders and those of his officers. The cabin stewards, dining stewards, and cabana attendants will be happy with me if I remember their names, show them respect, and maybe reward their fine service with an additional gratuity and mention in a review.

Dennis

Sorry. I am just a lowly fare-paying passenger. I am not privy to the intricacies of crew-assignment procedures on the fleet or a given ship. I was just relating what I had understood speaking with the cabana attendants. I will be happy if I see these two again on another HAL cruise. In truth I am more interested in hearing about really good crew members who I personally will interact with in contrast to knowing who the captain or cruise director or hotel manager will be on a given cruise. I am certain that any captain will be happy with me if I obey his orders and those of his officers. The cabin stewards, dining stewards, and cabana attendants will be happy with me if I remember their names, show them respect, and maybe reward their fine service with an additional gratuity and mention in a review.

Dennis

I'm sorry you took such a strong offence to my question. I was simply asking a question because I wondered how it worked on the Noordam. I am also a passanger. Aren't we all here? On my cruise I couldn't care less who the captain, cd or anyone at that level is. Wow, this was so unnecessary and hurtful to me. Just so you know the cabana stewards were the ones that told me that they rotate after 2 week after talking to them. This is a question that I'm sure they would have answered for you. It wasn't any senior officer. Too bad that you felt you needed to jump to such a conclusion.

Edited by cruz chic

No offence was taken nor was any intended in my response. I indeed did state that my understanding was based on speaking with the cabana attendants on the Noordam in December. When we were on the NA in February I did not speak with the cabana attendants about their rotations so I had no information at all to share. I promise to use appropriate smiley faces in the future.

Dennis

When we cruise, i look forward to sitting in our cabana and reading. We have had verandas, sig suites, and Neptune suites, but the best part of the cruise is our cabana! I burn like crazy, so could not spend a lot of time in the sun. we prefer the Lido cabana since they are not dependant on the weather. Wiithout our cabana, i don't think i would enjoy a cruise!