Jost Van Dyke

Judith Chalmers 48

We did JVD on our own in 2011.. We went as part of a catermeran trip...we had a fabulous time but were pushing it a bit on our return as captain changed back on board time to an hour earlier and we stopped to pick up a small dinghy which needed help...we made it back on board with 5 minutes to spare! I think you can get a ferry across as well but not sure where that leaves from.

I'd stick and go on the organised trip with P&O rather than risking the ferry as the ship will be long gone without you if not back on time whereas you'll be covered on a P&O trip. Did the organised trip a couple of years ago and loved it. Think you get about 2 1/2 hours there which will be plenty. Make sure you try the Soggy Dollar Bar which is at he opposite end of the beach to where you land, it's ace😀. Enjoy

Hi is it possible to visit JVD on your own, how easy is it? Any information would be greatly appreciated, as we have been twice before to Tortola and only ever gone to Cane Garden Beach, which was easy to do on our own. Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have just done this excursion on our Dec cruise, We booked it with P and O it was worth every penny they charged, We tendered in Tortola so it made sense.

I would book it again happily

Regards

Pauline

• 6 months later...
We have been trying to book it for the last three days on our CP only just got in it at 6.00 am this morning and JVD is now wait listed !!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you can't get on the tour you could try Virgin Gorda for the day which is also v.nice. Can go there easily by ferry or ships tour.

We did the escape to JVD in February from Ventura. We were disappointed. The best part was the ferry out to the Island, the captain was quite entertaining. They then bused us to some tacky beach for a few hours and served us an equally tacky lunch of an inedible choice of burger or hotdog, then back to the ferry

Edited by Mr Piano
Spelling

I'd stick and go on the organised trip with P&O rather than risking the ferry as the ship will be long gone without you if not back on time whereas you'll be covered on a P&O trip. Did the organised trip a couple of years ago and loved it. Think you get about 2 1/2 hours there which will be plenty. Make sure you try the Soggy Dollar Bar which is at he opposite end of the beach to where you land, it's ace😀. Enjoy

Can you tell me how far the soggy dollar bar is from where you are dropped? I have bad knees and can't walk that far. We went to soggy dollar bar on a private charter a few years ago and loved it but it was a rush to get back to the ship on time and we only just made it!

Amanda

If the P&O escape to JVD excursion is still the same as when we went in Dec 2012 then where you land is the opposite end of the beach to Soggy Dollar. It's not a massive beach and has about 4 or 5 beach bars. Once landing if you walk to the right for no more than a few minutes you'll be at the Soggy Dollar. One Love bar is also cool and is between where you land and Soggy Dollar.

Hope you are able to make it and enjoy it like we did.

Jase

Amanda

When we did it in 2014 it was at Whites Bay where the Soggy Dollar Bar is - its only about 200 yards to the Soggy Dollar from drop off. I posted a photo, the dropoff is over on the left and the SD is right over on the right, so not far.

Have to warn you that the lunch at the bar we used with the P&O trip was awful and we had lunch at the Soggy Dollar.

We also went to JVD privately in 2011 and that time then moored offshore and we had to swim in. I don't swim so that was fun and it was 8 foot deep where we moored. On he P&O trip you could either swim in or they took you ashore on a smaller boat.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107693552597250328299/Carib11Photos#5586256566115884706

Edited by bee-ess

Does the beach get busy and over packed?

We have Norwegian escape, QM2 AidaAluna and Azura in that day. We were going to visit cane garden bay but really like the look of here.

Mum has walking problems and I have read you get dropped off in the water and have to walk from there?

Amanda

When we did it in 2014 it was at Whites Bay where the Soggy Dollar Bar is - its only about 200 yards to the Soggy Dollar from drop off. I posted a photo, the dropoff is over on the left and the SD is right over on the right, so not far.

Have to warn you that the lunch at the bar we used with the P&O trip was awful and we had lunch at the Soggy Dollar.

We also went to JVD privately in 2011 and that time then moored offshore and we had to swim in. I don't swim so that was fun and it was 8 foot deep where we moored. On he P&O trip you could either swim in or they took you ashore on a smaller boat.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107693552597250328299/Carib11Photos#5586256566115884706

Thank you so much for this..,the excursion descriptions says snack drink at oceans 7 beach bar., but according to the Soggy Dollar there isn't an oceans 7 beach bar on JVD.. so did you stop off there or somewhere else? We stopped at oceans 7 beach bar when we did Virgin Island sailaway on Tortola a year or so again but it wasn't in JVD!

we also did an independent trip to JVD in 2011 where we had to swim from the boat to the beach!

Edited by Midsomer Madness

Thank you so much for this..,the excursion descriptions says snack drink at oceans 7 beach bar., but according to the Soggy Dollar there isn't an oceans 7 beach bar on JVD.. so did you stop off there or somewhere else? We stopped at oceans 7 beach bar when we did Virgin Island sailaway on Tortola a year or so again but it wasn't in JVD!

we also did an independent trip to JVD in 2011 where we had to swim from the boat to the beach!

When we did the P&O trip in 2014 we went straight to White Bay on JVD and had drinks/lunch is the bar furthest to the left in the photo. We didn't go anywhere else. It must have changed since then.

We did the P&O JVD trip in March while on Ventura, the beach they take you to is the beach where the Soggy Dollar bar is situated. The bar P&O take you to is situated on the end of the beach stand and face the sea walk about 100-150 yards to the left and you will see the" Soggy Dollar" bar, it is quite unimposing and you could easily walk past it.

The day we were there it took us about 20 minutes to get served due to a huge group of young Americans from a sailing group.I much preferred the "Painkillers" sold at the "Pussers" pub in Roadtown to those sold at the "Soggy Dollar".

We can't see our excursions yet can either of you remember the cosy with p&o?

Hi

We are on Britannia late February 2016 and have managed to book the P & O trip to JVD for 44 pounds each, we have been before really lovely Island and we especially like the Soggy Dollar have a super trip. :)