Cruising with 2 young kids (2yo and 1yo) yay or nay?

Hi Cruisers!

We are after some recommendations / ideas or just information to decide whether we should or shouldn't cruise.

We have 2 young kids. Thinking of going in march - august next year.

Older one will be just 2 years old and younger one will be just under one (he is on solids + breastmilk no formula)..

We are thinking of going with a grandma and thinking to get kids to stay with her in her stateroom while we will be on a different level... does this sound like a good idea?

IF we go!

1. should we have 2 cabins connecting? or get them an ocean view and balcony for us on 2 different levels?

2. which cruiseline is the best one departing from sydney for kids? (yes i know that most likely our kids wont be able to use a pool, which is fine..

we have done p&o, and royal carib, so we were thinking of trying something new? perhaps ms Oosterdam?

3. any other info, would be much appreciated!!!

Tia!!

Hi,

Not sure if I can help much, as we waited till our youngest was 3 to cruise, but I think some of the Royal Caribbean ships here now have the nursery program where kids can go to "kids club" nursery from 6 months old so that might influence your decision. Not sure which ships, and don't think there are a lot of RC ships here over winter so that might not help much anyway but thought I would mention that might be something worth looking into.

Re cabins I think it is up to you, but I think it can be harder to get connecting cabins as they are limited so if you decide you want to do that I would book early. I know some people worry about the kids in a balcony cabin, it may worry Grandma so that might be something to think about. She might be happier in an oceanview cabin if she is worried about the balcony.

Good luck with your planning,

Penny

We took our son on Carnival Spirit when he had just turned 2. Carnival will allow kids from 2 to go into the kids club and they will change nappies (they are the only line in Aus who will). We also always cruise with a balcony. Your kids will be fine on Carnival balcony as it is solid glass from floor to adult mid-chest - no way they can slip/fall etc. Carnival also allow swim nappies in the kids pool area when cruising Australia (also the only line to allow these).

Not sure if you mean that the kids are always in grandmas cabin whilst you are in yours potentially on another deck, or if you mean whilst you go to shows etc?

Although to be fair to grandma why should she be the one left holding the babies is my thought? Depending on her age that could be quite the challenge looking after 2 toddlers. :D

I would definitely choose a cruise line that caters for toddlers so you both & grandma can at least have some time to yourselves.

HAL & Celebrity are less about kids, but Royal & Carnival will both cater well for the kids, so depends on the cruise experience you prefer as to which cruise line would suit you better?

Could do an inside and a balcony opposite each other, if you prefer, if they're on the same level?

That helps the budget, the two young kids aren't going to be worried about a view and you can all get together in the main cabin if you want to see something or just be together.

Me, I would leave the kids at home with Grandma and cruise with my partner. I would then send Grandma and one of her friends on a cruise later as a thank you for minding the kids! (would probably be cheaper that all trying to go together!).

Hi there

We recently returned from a short cruise with diamond princess. I haven't been on other ships, besides Dawn and Sun Princess.

There were a lot of families with babies on these cruises and they thoroughly enjoyed themselves. I suggest getting a balcony because you need somewhere to go when they nap or may be a quiet corner on the ship. This will depend on your budget.

You all can take turns to look after the little ones because everything is there on board - food, activities and entertainment.

Always speak up to find answers when you are on board.

Try to book a room on the same level because when you need help you don't want to walk miles and be exhausted.

Just enjoy a short cruise and research on tips before cruising. Bring medication, sunscreen, highlighters, clothes that don't need ironing, a warm jacket, beanie, gloves, nappies etc.

Keeping it short and simple... No!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. Why should Grandma have to put up with the kids all the time. I suggest you go on a nice beach holiday somewhere!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

so much depends on YOUR kids... I have been on many cruises and have seen lots of kids... some very well behaved others a real pain... I (like everyone) spend a lot of money to cruise and you have every right to bring a kid if you want - why is beyond me, but it is a free world. Last cruise was in Nov.. at lunch several times, had a kid from the table next to use wonder over and crawl under our table to see out the window... first time, I shrugged it off - next time I told the parents to mind their child... of course I was the bad guy... I did NOT make a seen, just ask them to take care.. their response was - what are they hurting??

to enjoy your trip, leave the children at home with GM and enjoy your self.. bring everyone will cost you more and GM has to babysit... what fun that will be - Kids are kids and don't always behave - make a fuss or start crying - next to me at dinner or sitting trying to relax and enjoy the music or show - NOT fun for me.

With all that said,, we have anytime dining - had a father with a 6 year old - child was a real joy to have at our table and was welcomed back - this was the exception.

ok, I will get off my soap box,, enjoy your cruise

Could do an inside and a balcony opposite each other, if you prefer, if they're on the same level?

That helps the budget, the two young kids aren't going to be worried about a view and you can all get together in the main cabin if you want to see something or just be together.

good suggestion I agree :D

as a granny myself I personally would be worried with a balcony and the chance of an adverse event even a small chance!

Carnival would definitely be the best choice in cruise line

Edited by bubbles2014

to enjoy your trip, leave the children at home with GM and enjoy your self.. bring everyone will cost you more and GM has to babysit... what fun that will be - Kids are kids and don't always behave -

I'm confused. Babysitting at home, by yourself is good. But babysitting on a cruise, with all the family together is bad?

Sounnds more like the advice of a passenger who doesn't want kids on board, then actually for the person and family the question is about...

I'm confused. Babysitting at home, by yourself is good. But babysitting on a cruise, with all the family together is bad?

Sounnds more like the advice of a passenger who doesn't want kids on board, then actually for the person and family the question is about...

My mum recently came back from a cruise with her sister. They took their little ones and came back complaining about how much time, activities and things they could've done but couldn't because of the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My mum recently came back from a cruise with her sister. They took their little ones and came back complaining about how much time, activities and things they could've done but couldn't because of the kids.

Sure, anywhere you are you 'could always do more' without kids.

That's not exactly why you have them. It sounds an odd thing to say, actually. Many love their holiday time with little ones.

Sure, anywhere you are you 'could always do more' without kids.

That's not exactly why you have them. It sounds an odd thing to say, actually. Many love their holiday time with little ones.

I agree, the reason we take holidays is so we can spend time together as a family.

I think it's healthy to have holidays with & without your kids. For the parents & the kids.

Sometimes parents get too caught up in living their kids lives in many ways & just don't take time for themselves, also it does kids good IMO to spend time away from their parents, to get a different view on life.

So I don't think it's odd to want to spend time on holidays without kids, it's quite a healthy attitude & shows you are also living your own adult life whilst having kids who are living theirs. :)

Have cruised with a 9 and 3yr old in the distant past where the ship had a great kids club(P&O Pacific Sky). We were always worried the kids were ok even though the childcare staff and facilities were wonderful. Looking back now we didn't enjoy that cruise as much as we could have if we didn't have the kids in tow. We did another cruise a couple of years ago with the "kids" at 19 and 15yrs and we had an absolute ball together (radiance of the seas). The eldest still remembers the earlier cruise and often commented on how much better the latter cruise was. The youngest really has no memory of her first cruise at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk