Pre-Purchasing of Photo Package: Your Advice/Experience?

DataStar

We're on Infinity next month for 14 nights. We can get the photo package that includes all prints and a DVD of all photos taken (whether they were printed or not) of either/both of us for US$225 from the vendor who runs the concession on Celebrity/RCI/Disney.

Given the cost of photos, this seems like a good deal. What's your experience?

Advice welcomed.

Thanks, and best wishes for the new year.

Alan

If you search you will find that there is a couple of other threads at the moment about the photo graph packages. They were both started by someone with a complaint. My experience, however, has been positive and we have been doing it for a number of years. I had technically issues after our latest cruise - not all our photographs were on the website, just thumbnails - but I have had good response from their customer service. They have arranged for the ship to send me a cd with jpegs of all our pictures.

We will certainly take our the package for our next cruise because we find them good value. You just need to understand that the CD you receive does not contain the photographs. Rather it has software you install on your PC and run to unlock and then export your photographs from a website. You do, therefore, need a PC or tablet on which you can install software. Not all tablets would be suitable.

Sue, thanks for your posting. I found the thread and it was most helpful. Clearly, there are some who have problems, but my reading showed that customer service at the vendor is generally good. Of course, there are some who (like with art auctions) are almost insulted that the photo (or art auctions) exist on-board. You can go to the auction because you actually like the art, understand what you are (and aren't) getting, and want to buy it. Or you might just like the free (cheap) champagne. Or you're bored and it's something to do. Or you can ignore it.

Given the price per photo, the package sounds like a good deal, particulally for a longer cruise. So if I understood, the tips for avoiding problems are...

1. Take a copy of your package order with you, with the order number so the on-board photo manager can verify the prepaid status if necessary.

2. Go to the photo gallery daily and grab all of your photos. Check them against the photos on the Kiosk to see if anything is missing, recognizing that the facial recognition program is very good, but not perfect.

3, Give the hard copy photos to the photo desk to hold in your folder, and let them know if anything is missing. Checking the kiosk avoids last minute issues.

4. Collect the hard copy photos and the software/unlock disk on the last night of the cruise.

Have I got that right?

Regards,

Alan

We had a group of 12 and although the package was purchased for my family of 4 and we were told only pictures with one of us in them would be included we found when we got the pictures online they had MANY of them with others from our group that did not include us. We also got many of the actual photos to hand out to those with us. In my opinion it was a GREAT deal and we will be doing it again this next cruise in Spring.

I will also tell you that if you purchase it on board in the first 24 hours they offered us a 20% discount which added even more to the benefit!

We had photographers snapping pictures on deck by the pool, at dinner, getting off at port and so much more.

DO IT!

So if I understood, the tips for avoiding problems are...

1. Take a copy of your package order with you, with the order number so the on-board photo manager can verify the prepaid status if necessary.

2. Go to the photo gallery daily and grab all of your photos. Check them against the photos on the Kiosk to see if anything is missing, recognizing that the facial recognition program is very good, but not perfect.

3, Give the hard copy photos to the photo desk to hold in your folder, and let them know if anything is missing. Checking the kiosk avoids last minute issues.

4. Collect the hard copy photos and the software/unlock disk on the last night of the cruise.

Have I got that right?

Regards,

Alan

^ that's exactly right. We get a photo package every cruise. It's great value and for us a great way to get family photos with all of us in them, rare for us, especially on formal nights we get a great pic of us dressed up. We've never had a problem. We always go each night and take the prints to put in our folder at the photo desk. They've always all been on our disk although we also normally end up with a few random people on our disk who we don't know, no big deal....

Just a few of things to add:

• It is easier to check your photos on the TV in your room where you can sit while you do it an do not have to scan your seapass

• If there is a photograph that was not printed, you can order a print on your TV or at the kiosk. It appears that you will be charged for the print but this does not happen if you have the package. [i was dubious, but it does work like that! Also, you can order EXTRA prints this way. I found out by accident when I thought that a photo had not been printed but it had been.]

• They do usually offer discounts once on board but this is usually from a higher starting price than if you purchase, in advance, online. However, the price online in advance does vary. We only paid UD$200 for our last cruise.

My take: If you have a big group and/or like for a professional photographer to take lots of pictures of you, AND you normally buy lots of pictures, then it is indeed a bargain.

We balk at the really high prices they charge for individual pictures. (I've always marveled at the number of pictures that get trashed because they charge so much for them. A better price would result in a lot less waste).