New User Here - Spring Break cruise questions

arkaband

Hello all! My family and I are taking a western Caribbean cruise on Navigator March 22nd. My wife and I cruised on Rhapsody of the Seas for our honeymoon 10 years ago and haven't been since, but we're looking forward to taking our two daughters (the oldest of which was actually conceived on Rhapsody) for spring break 2015.

Initially, I wanted to leave the kids with grandparents since we're celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary, but once I heard all the hours for the Adventure Ocean program even on port days, I gave in to taking them.

Our ports are Belize City, Roatan, and Cozumel. My questions are regarding excursions. Belize and Roatan are new for us. For Belize, I think we'll all enjoy seeing Mayan ruins. I take it the Altun Ha tour is the more popular one? From what I see, I think I might prefer the Lamanai Tour instead. Can a 5 year old handle it? She likes climbing and hiking.

Regarding Roatan and Cozumel, I know Cozumel is great for beach and snorkeling and it looks like Roatan is as well. We would all enjoy that except the 5 year old can't snorkel.

That would make 2 ports with the kids. I want one port without them. Which port (Roatan or Cozumel) should we do a family beach/snorkel day and which port should we leave the kids on the ship so the wife and I can do something a little more adventurous? Also, if you have a favorite beach/snorkel excursion, please share. West Bay in Roatan sounds promising from what I've read so far.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

My DD and DH took the excursion to Lamani last March. When looking for excursions for this years cruise I started reading a description to them and as soon as I said "a 2 hour boat ride" DD said wait stop right there. That boat ride last year was murder. I'm so glad we visited the ruins, but I don't want to go again this year. My DH agreed that the boat ride was long. They really enjoyed the ruins last year and got some great photos from atop the ruin but with young children you might want to think about the boat ride. DD was 15 last year, she chose the excursion as she loves history so it's not like it was something we made her do.

Just our experience. Whatever you do at Belize just make sure you leave the tourism village unless all you want to do is shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by SeaWolfe

in cozumel we always go to mr sanchos

I think Mr. Sanchos is where we went on our first cruise. I liked it, but the food was very generic and bland and it was pretty crowded. The guided snorkel prior to the beach was the highlight of the cruise though.

Between Roatan and Cozumel, which is better to do something other than hanging out on a beach? I'd like to find some authentic food.

My DD and DH took the excursion to Lamani last March. When looking for excursions for this years cruise I started reading a description to them and as soon as I said "a 2 hour boat ride" DD said wait stop right there. That boat ride last year was murder. I'm so glad we visited the ruins, but I don't want to go again this year. My DH agreed that the boat ride was long. They really enjoyed the ruins last year and got some great photos from atop the ruin but with young children you might want to think about the boat ride. DD was 15 last year, she chose the excursion as she loves history so it's not like it was something we made her do.

Just our experience. Whatever you do at Belize just make sure you leave the tourism village unless all you want to do is shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know what you mean about the long boat rides, but I'll take a boat ride over wondering aimlessly around a touristy port in a poor country any day, which is what we would end up doing after a 4 hour excursion.

Now that I think about it, all-day excursions in all 3 ports might be best. West End Beach at Roatan, Lamanai at Belize. That leaves Cozumel....Snuba?

I know what you mean about the long boat rides, but I'll take a boat ride over wondering aimlessly around a touristy port in a poor country any day, which is what we would end up doing after a 4 hour excursion.

Now that I think about it, all-day excursions in all 3 ports might be best. West End Beach at Roatan, Lamanai at Belize. That leaves Cozumel....Snuba?

Cozumel with or without the kids?

If without, Nachi Cocum.

If with, Chankanaab Park.

I think Mr. Sanchos is where we went on our first cruise. I liked it, but the food was very generic and bland and it was pretty crowded. The guided snorkel prior to the beach was the highlight of the cruise though.

Between Roatan and Cozumel, which is better to do something other than hanging out on a beach? I'd like to find some authentic food.

One of my favorite excursions I've done in the Caribbean was a food tour in Cozumel through Cozumel Chef: http://www.cozumelchef.com/services/foodtourscozumel/

Emily (the chef/tour guide) takes you to a variety of different restaurants in Cozumel away from the touristy area. All very authentic venues that are 99% locals dining there. Great variety of food and I loved all the places we went. Emily also was such a friendly, personable guide. The group is limited to a small number of people which adds to the experience.

I haven't really seen anything "for grown-ups" so far that I would choose over the "family" option. I could go for an off-road tour but I don't think the wife would. Maybe all 3 ports with the kids would be best.

We'll still get lots of alone time at sea, which BTW I still can't believe the Adventure Ocean hours. 7-10 PM every night!? Complementary!? That sold me right there.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

We did Lamanai 4 years ago on an NCL cruise. I thought the 2 hour boat ride would be a leisurely cruise up the river, allowing us time to look at the landscape and wildlife. Nope. The guide occasionally slowed down if he saw an interesting bird etc. but most of the time it was pedal to the metal and pretty bouncy and noisy. (OTOH your 5 year old might love the exhilaration.)

That said, Lamanai was my favorite stop on that cruise. Because much of the site is still surrounded by jungle, you get an Indiana Jones-type vibe that we didn't get from other ruins we visited. And the ruins themselves are spectacular.

PS Bring bug repellent!

Hello all! My family and I are taking a western Caribbean cruise on Navigator March 22nd. My wife and I cruised on Rhapsody of the Seas for our honeymoon 10 years ago and haven't been since, but we're looking forward to taking our two daughters (the oldest of which was actually conceived on Rhapsody) for spring break 2015.

Initially, I wanted to leave the kids with grandparents since we're celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary, but once I heard all the hours for the Adventure Ocean program even on port days, I gave in to taking them.

Our ports are Belize City, Roatan, and Cozumel. My questions are regarding excursions. Belize and Roatan are new for us. For Belize, I think we'll all enjoy seeing Mayan ruins. I take it the Altun Ha tour is the more popular one? From what I see, I think I might prefer the Lamanai Tour instead. Can a 5 year old handle it? She likes climbing and hiking. Regarding Roatan and Cozumel, I know Cozumel is great for beach and snorkeling and it looks like Roatan is as well. We would all enjoy that except the 5 year old can't snorkel.

That would make 2 ports with the kids. I want one port without them. Which port (Roatan or Cozumel) should we do a family beach/snorkel day and which port should we leave the kids on the ship so the wife and I can do something a little more adventurous? Also, if you have a favorite beach/snorkel excursion, please share. West Bay in Roatan sounds promising from what I've read so far.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

for what it worth we enjoyed gumba limba park in roatoan a lot . they had several different species of monkeys to pet could hold several exotic birds macaws etc. and had a small beach to relax on very private for a couples hours before the 20 minute bus drive back to the cruise port

for what it worth we enjoyed gumba limba park in roatoan a lot . they had several different species of monkeys to pet could hold several exotic birds macaws etc. and had a small beach to relax on very private for a couples hours before the 20 minute bus drive back to the cruise port

Sounds great. The excursion I see looks like it goes to a few animal parks before going to the beach. Could you possibly send a link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go see the ruins in cozumal and in belize do the adult only. we went atv riding thru rainforest and then cave tubing, it was my all time favorite excursion from all our cruises. we used http://www.cave-tubing.com/ they were awesome. we also got a hot belizian lunch it is 75$ and right now you can add zip line for only 25$. we did not do the zip line so i cant tell you how that was but the other 2 were so fun. you will get muddy on the atvs but the tubing will wash it off.

One of my favorite excursions I've done in the Caribbean was a food tour in Cozumel through Cozumel Chef: http://www.cozumelchef.com/services/foodtourscozumel/

Emily (the chef/tour guide) takes you to a variety of different restaurants in Cozumel away from the touristy area. All very authentic venues that are 99% locals dining there. Great variety of food and I loved all the places we went. Emily also was such a friendly, personable guide. The group is limited to a small number of people which adds to the experience.

OMG, Gonzo, gracias, gracias, gracias!!!!!

I love those kinds of tours. I have been to Cozumel so many times, and thought that I had "done everything".

Can't wait to go back now!

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to "free-wheeling" excursions. In Roatan, if I want to go to Gumbalimba park for a couple hours and spend the rest of the day at West Bay, do I need buy park tickets ahead of time or can we just take a cab there and pay and go in? How would we get from Gumbalimba to West Bay? What time should we pack it up and hunt a cab if our ship leaves at 5:00?

• 1 month later...

Whole family went to Maya Cay on the RC excursion in Honduras and had a blast. Nice beaches, good food, great views, and got to hold an alligator and a monkey. Also had nice snorkeling off of the pier.

Cozumel has to be Nachi Cocom. Even with the family it is a fun place. The food is great and it's never crowded. Of course the adults enjoy the unlimited adult beverages.

Whatever you choose, enjoy it!

Whole family went to Maya Cay on the RC excursion in Honduras and had a blast. Nice beaches, good food, great views, and got to hold an alligator and a monkey. Also had nice snorkeling off of the pier.

Cozumel has to be Nachi Cocom. Even with the family it is a fun place. The food is great and it's never crowded. Of course the adults enjoy the unlimited adult beverages.

Whatever you choose, enjoy it!

Thanks for the suggestion. Some friends that are going with us booked Mr. Sanchos so we're going there. I was mistaken about going there years ago. It was somewhere else.

Could you send me a link to the Roatan excursion you did?

It looks like the Belize tours website added a 6yo minimum age to the Lamanai tour. We were just about to reserve it. Royal Caribbean doesn't have a minimum age for it but they're $110 more for the group.

The X-stream cave tubing for kids would be a good plan B, but it has a minimum age of 5. Our youngest will be one month short. Does anyone if we could get away with one or the other?