question about alcohol

wilfros

On other lines (Carnival and Princess in particular) you can pre-purchase bottles or wine or alcohol as "Gifts". When you arrive on board this purchase is waiting for you in your cabin and it is intended that this be consumed in cabin. On our last trip we purchased coconut rum and gin. Oh Yes, it must be purchased prior to the cruise, I believe the intent is for someone remaining behind (loved one or travel agent) to send such a well wishing to you for your enjoyment.

After searching the DCL site I have not been able to find such an offer. Is this option available and if so where does one go to make the purchase?

Thank you.

On other lines (Carnival and Princess in particular) you can pre-purchase bottles or wine or alcohol as "Gifts". When you arrive on board this purchase is waiting for you in your cabin and it is intended that this be consumed in cabin. On our last trip we purchased coconut rum and gin. Oh Yes, it must be purchased prior to the cruise, I believe the intent is for someone remaining behind (loved one or travel agent) to send such a well wishing to you for your enjoyment.

After searching the DCL site I have not been able to find such an offer. Is this option available and if so where does one go to make the purchase?

Thank you.

On the DCL website, hover over the "Planning Center" tab (far right side of page), click on "In Room Gifts". There you select the port you are departing from and scroll down for the various gifts (including alcohol purchases).

A question, are you doing this for yourself? Are you aware that DCL policy allows you bring onboard whatever beverages you wish (including wine/liquor) in whatever amounts you want? You just have to do so in your carry on bags.

You can also purchase a wine package on board--there are several different options on 7 night cruises. Basically it amounts to a "premium" line vs. a "general" line and whether you want a bottle for each night of the cruise or not quite that many. You choose from the quality you selected. They are happy to serve the wine in the dining room. You can then take any left over to the cabin with you or it will be recorked and served the next night (your choice....if any left).

As noted above, you can also bring on board any amount of alcohol you choose for consumption in your cabin. The only requirement is that it be in your carry on--not in your checked luggage.

ABC liquors in Port Canaveral will even deliver to you at the port--there is a minimum order and a delivery charge ($20, I believe). If you are driving to the port, there are several places along the way that you can stock up. Most private car services also factor in a 15-30 minute stop at a store of your choosing.

Edited by moki'smommy

A question, are you doing this for yourself? Are you aware that DCL policy allows you bring onboard whatever beverages you wish (including wine/liquor) in whatever amounts you want? You just have to do so in your carry on bags.

So you are saying that we allowed to bring a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream (for the Ladies) and a bottle or two of wine?

I am familiar with the idea of bringing a bottle or two of wine but bringing liquor is certainly a new concept to me.

DCL is the only line I know of that allows you to bring your own beverages on board. Yes, you can bring anything you want--liquor, beer, bottled water, Pepsi products (because you don't like the Coke that is free on board), etc.

Yes to Bailey's and whatever else you want. There is no limit to the amount you can bring. The ONLY regulations are that it must be in your carry on items (not in checked bags) and technically it is to be consumed in your stateroom. That said, no one will question you carrying a glass of wine into the dining room. If you bring a bottle in, there is a corking fee that is supposed to be charged. It is charged somewhat sporadically. Your stateroom host or a bartender on the ship can supply a corkscrew and appropriate glassware as needed.

If you are bringing a lot, you might want to keep receipts. Otherwise you will be charged duty when returning to the US (if you exceed your allowance). Receipts that prove it was originally purchased in the US will save this.

You are NOT allowed to bring a cooler on board (other than a small one if needed for medical items.) Your liquor does not have to be in a carry on suitcase, but must be carried on. The bottom line is that it cannot be checked.

moki'smommy will also be able to tell you about the policy for buying booze in ports that you are also able to bring back on the ship and consume without it being taken away and stored.

I know there is something different for Grand Caymen, but she will be able to fill you in on that I'm sure :)

ex techie

Another point to consider is that if you are on a cruise that stops at Key West, there is a CVS a few blocks from the cruise terminal. THey can supply almost anything you might have forgotten--from baby diapers to adult beverages and almost everything in between.

Techie--I'm not aware of a funky policy at Grand Cayman. I do know that the ship will not accept any deliveries of items to the ship for a guest and that this is what most merchants there want to do. SO you stand in the shop saying that you want to take the item with you and the merchant tells you the he will send it to the ship. If that is the only way he will sell to you, don't do it! The ship will decline the delivery and you will be out the money.

Also, I read (no personal confirmation) that the Bahamas has instituted 5% VAT. Not sure if this applies to all goods and services, or how it will affect purchases there. Supposedly DCL must begin charging it on all purchases at Castaway Cay.

Another point to consider is that if you are on a cruise that stops at Key West' date=' there is a CVS a few blocks from the cruise terminal. THey can supply almost anything you might have forgotten--from baby diapers to adult beverages and almost everything in between.

Techie--I'm not aware of a funky policy at Grand Cayman. I do know that the ship will not accept any deliveries of items to the ship for a guest and that this is what most merchants there want to do. SO you stand in the shop saying that you want to take the item with you and the merchant tells you the he will send it to the ship. If that is the only way he will sell to you, don't do it! The ship will decline the delivery and you will be out the money.

Also, I read (no personal confirmation) that the Bahamas has instituted 5% VAT. Not sure if this applies to all goods and services, or how it will affect purchases there. Supposedly DCL must begin charging it on all purchases at Castaway Cay.[/quote']

What it is in Grand Cayman is alcoholic purchases must be delivered to your ship, if you are a cruise passenger. As you noted, DCL will not accept those deliveries. I've read that there are a couple of liquor stores right close to the port, that will hand carry your purchase to the port area (walking back with you) and hand it to you through the gate, so you can bring it onboard. No experience with that.

The Bahamas VAT is 7.5% effective 1/1/25 on all goods and services provided in the Bahamas. That would be anything (including excursions, from what I understand) purchased in Nassau and Castaway Cay. It was originally proposed at 15% effective last July, but was delayed while they debated about it.

Edited by Shmoo here

What it is in Grand Cayman is alcoholic purchases must be delivered to your ship, if you are a cruise passenger. As you noted, DCL will not accept those deliveries. I've read that there are a couple of liquor stores right close to the port, that will hand carry your purchase to the port area (walking back with you) and hand it to you through the gate, so you can bring it onboard. No experience with that.

The Bahamas VAT is 7.5% effective 1/1/25 on all goods and services provided in the Bahamas. That would be anything (including excursions, from what I understand) purchased in Nassau and Castaway Cay. It was originally proposed at 15% effective last July, but was delayed while they debated about it.

You mean effective 2015!

ex techie

Two additional questions:

1. can you buy from the duty free shop on the ship and bring that to your cabin, thus eliminating the need to carry the bottle with you? and

2. can you bring an already open bottle of alcohol on board? we were thinking we might have a "little" drink in the hotel the night before the cruise after a hard day of airline travel with 3 kids.

Thanks again for your assistance

Edited by wilfros

Two additional questions:

1. can you buy from the duty free shop on the ship and bring that to your cabin, thus eliminating the need to carry the bottle with you? and

2. can you bring an already open bottle of alcohol on board? we were thinking we might have a "little" drink in the hotel the night before the cruise after a hard day of airline travel with 3 kids.

Thanks again for your assistance

1. No. If you purchase from the duty-free shop onboard, that must be held until the end of the cruise before being delivered to your room.

2. I'm not absolutely certain, but I'm going to hazard a guess they would let you bring an already opened bottle with you. Just put it in your carry on bag. Maybe, if it's only one drink, you can just purchase that one the night before?

Edited by Shmoo here

As above, no to buying in the duty free shop and taking it to your cabin.

I've never seen anything that says you can't bring on a bottle that has been opened, do don't think that is a problem...although I've never personally tried it. Of course, if your "little" drink is a bottle of wine...a bottle is really only 2 glasses per person. You'd probably finish that at the hotel.