the small tables on the epic balconies

CruiseScrooge

i'm going with my elderly father and our balcony guarantee was just assigned a BF on deck 8. the balcony table looks incredibly small, like it wouldn't even hold a plate and drink and i think he is going to spend much of his time in the cabin and balcony. any ideas or tips on getting a bigger table? i was thinking of bringing a cafeteria or serving tray and a "c" type clamp and attaching those to the table. any idea how big a clamp i would need? or are the tables much bigger then they look? i'd like to be able for both of us to eat out on the balcony.

I'd say these tables are about 12 inches square. I think what you see for the top is what's there-no framework beneath the top so an inch or less thick. A dinner plate or two or three glasses would be the limit. I always used them for a foot rest! There are some portable camp/roll-up type tables available at Camping World and others with 18 x18 tops.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98

thanks for the replies. i think i'll bring a plastic tray and plastic clamp so the security scanners don't see metal parts.

Unless you are carrying it on your body, they will still see it. It is the metal detector that you walk through. The X-Ray machine will pick up anything solid.

First off room service will come on a tray. See this photo:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/ac1394dbdcca6a36cbf486633b129cd813095ac3/r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/USATODAY/GenericImages/2013/07/12/1373640941000-NorwegianRoomService-1307121103_4_3.jpg

Secondly, a simpler course of action would be to simply ask your room steward for help. There are often other pieces of furniture available to the stewards and he or she may be able to bring either a larger table or a second small table to solve the problem.

The other thing is that Epic is a huge floating resort, so I am hoping that you are bringing either a small transport chair or a motorized scooter for you dad to ride around on so he can experience this ship and also eat at the various restaurants.

BTW, disembarkation day on the Epic for non-suite passengers involves long, long lines with a lot of walking and standing with no place to sit. You may want to call NCL now and ask them if there is another way you and your dad can disembark. I would hate to see an elderly person who has trouble walking go through the long line and I'm sure NCL has some kind of option for your dad to prevent him from having to go through that ordeal. But I think this sort of thing needs to be planned ahead, so please make that call.

Request a larger or second table from your room steward. In addition notify the Access desk about needing embarkation and disembarkation assistance(contact info on their website). As someone already mentioned rent a wheelchair or scooter(this info also on their website) so he can get around the ship and really enjoy the whole cruise ship.

Neverthought[/color]