HMC questions

hjrell

Forgive me, but search is not working for me.

We have never been to HMC so we are not sure what to do here. Renting a cabana is not really something we want to do so we booked the 'Calypso Island Tram Tour'. I realize this is just a quick overview of the layout of the island.

I read somewhere that there is no charge for any of the trams on the island so now I am wondering why we would pay for this excursion through the ship. Has anyone done this excursion through Holland and what did you think of it?

I seemed to also have read that there are glass bottom boat trips available. Is there someplace on the island that you can book these types of things and what else do they all offer?

Any advice would be appreciated!

This is what we have booked - we also reserved a clamshell. Not sure if I sould cancel one or the other:

Calypso Island Tram

Approximately 0¾ Hours

Easy Activity

$

4.4 out of 5

Open Ratings Snapshot

Enjoyed it?

4.6 out of 5

Value

4.8 out of 5

5 out of 5(100%)reviewers would recommend this product to a friend.

Read all 5 reviews | Write a review

All aboard for a behind-the-scenes peek at the highlights of Half Moon Cay from the comfort of a shaded, open-air tram, accompanied by a professional guide. This excursion is designed to acquaint you with the many and varied visitor areas, activities, and amenities the island offers. First, head out along the coastline from the marina to Cannon Point for an overview of the beach activities and beautiful views of the bay and your ship. See the island’s inter-denominational chapel and do a circuit of the Dining Pavilion roundabout. Next, check out Pegasus Ranch and the Island ‘airport’ where seaplanes take off and land. The same 700-acre lagoon is also used for jet-skiing, glass-bottom boating and kayaking. A brief stop at the stingray center provides a different perspective of the lagoon and the chance to see stingrays in their natural habitat. Back on the tram, you’ll drive past farms that showcase local crops grown for sustainability and beautification of the island. The industrial area, including the recycling and power plants, serves many very important purposes. Conclude your tour at Lustre, the pearl kiosk, where you may wish to browse for a memento of your visit.

Notes:

Minimum age is 3 years. Wear sunglasses and sunscreen; bring a hat.

Notes:

This excursion is led in English

BOOK NOW Cruises visiting this port Print Add to Favorites

Thank you for the replies!

We are the only ship at HMC that day - we dock at 8 - can we get our clamshell first and still make our 9:00 Calypso Tram Tour?

Still debating whether to cancel the clamshell or the tram tour.

HMC is a tender port, not a docking location. So, I would say it would be challenging to get your clamshell, then make it to a 9am tour.

Is it worthwhile to get a clamshell around 10:00 then when we get back from our 9:00 excursion? Wondering what kind of a location we will get for our clamshell at that late time.

Still can't decide if I should cancel one or the other..

This is a manmade private island, in the sense that whatever is there, was put there or built there by Carnival. A tour really isn't necessary, unless you simply want to spend that money!

HMC isn't THAT big...you can stroll about at will.....There are trees for shade, if no clamshells are available...you can move your loungers anywhere you want!

This is a manmade private island, in the sense that whatever is there, was put there or built there by Carnival. A tour really isn't necessary, unless you simply want to spend that money!

HMC isn't THAT big...you can stroll about at will.....There are trees for shade, if no clamshells are available...you can move your loungers anywhere you want!

Ah, are they any other private islands that aren't man made in the sense you imply? Plus, most of the stuff there was put there by Holland America before HAL merged into the Carnival family.

Edited by CruiserBruce