Concierge worth it?

Chimo2u

Hi Everyone :) I'm excited as I just booked my first cruise to celebrate my hubby's and my 25 anniversary. I chose the OCT 31-Nov7 western Caribbean C itinerary on the Fantasy. Currently I booked one of the very centre AFT rooms on deck 8, but have been really contemplating upgrading and changing to concierge. I'm wanting to make this trip extra special as it'll be just the 2 of us and no kids. Would you think the upgrade to concierge would be a good splurge? It'll be approximately $1,900 more, however the emotional investment is worth thinking about it. At WDW we always choose to stay club level, so we really appreciate the concierge experience and the separate lounge area. My hubby isn't great with crowds, I thought having the private sun deck and the dedicated lounge may give us a few more options for relaxation. Thoughts!?

Well, you basically outlined the advantages.

There is no way that concierge perks can account for the additional cost. Litho, "free" alcohol at happy hour times, additional toiletries, munchies are all nice, but no way on earth that 2 people can consume enough to make that a financial good deal. What you are paying for is that gold KTTW card, the ambience, and the fact that the concierge team has a member sitting in the lounge to do your bidding.

While YOU won't have kids along, there will be kids in the concierge lounge and sun deck area...and there will obviously be other guests. From the tone of your post, it sounds like the money is not a big deal to you. If that's the case, go for it. Basic bottom line, if it is not taking food out of your kids' mouths or ruining their education funds then it becomes YOUR choice what you do with your money. If feeling "special" is important to you, go for it. After all...you never know what may happen in life. Live it while you can.

Well' date=' you basically outlined the advantages.

There is no way that concierge perks can account for the additional cost. Litho, "free" alcohol at happy hour times, additional toiletries, munchies are all nice, but no way on earth that 2 people can consume enough to make that a financial good deal. What you are paying for is that gold KTTW card, the ambience, and the fact that the concierge team has a member sitting in the lounge to do your bidding.

While YOU won't have kids along, there will be kids in the concierge lounge and sun deck area...and there will obviously be other guests. From the tone of your post, it sounds like the money is not a big deal to you. If that's the case, go for it. Basic bottom line, if it is not taking food out of your kids' mouths or ruining their education funds then it becomes YOUR choice what you do with your money. If feeling "special" is important to you, go for it. After all...you never know what may happen in life. Live it while you can.[/quote']

Thank you mokis mommy! The reason I'm thinking if splurging is because this trip will be paid by my inheritance, sadly my mom passed away at the beginning of December, only 67 yrs of age and missed enjoying some of the things she worked so hard for! She had just moved into a new condo, purchased brand new everything ( leather furniture, appliances, renos, etc...) and the tags where still on her furniture when she passed very suddenly and unexpectedly :( so I am using some of my inheritance for a trip with my husband, we've had very bad 2 years and I want to do something to relax and enjoy happiness with my hubby.i guess I can call the price of the splurge just part if the cost of doing my vacation how I'd most enjoy it! As we know too well, you are never guaranteed tomorrow, and sometimes it's ok to splurge and enjoy today if it won't bankrupt me :)

My mom would've enjoyed knowing I shared some quality time with my husband, and this splurge will add the ambience to my vacation I am craving right about now! I think I will upgrade and just go with it, as $1,900 although pricey won't cause undue, long term hardship. Thank you for your reply :)

You are welcome. None of us are promised tomorrow in a healthy state where we can do as we'd like. Some of us get to continue in that situation for years while others develop medical issues that prevent them from doing things they'd choose...or they die...

Only YOU can choose. $1900 would buy a lot of "things" including more time on a ship. Or it can buy concierge for this cruise....DO remember that there are restrictions on refunds/changes on concierge bookings. THey are not as flexible as normal bookings. In the past they were non-refundable but could be moved once to a different date. Policies do change and I may not be current on that. Just be sure you know the fine print before you take the plunge.

For $1900, I'd say go for it. It will be a great experience for you guys and something that you know you'll enjoy.

I've been contemplating upgrading, but for us, the difference is $6000 to do the 1 bedroom suite or $3000 for the lower level concierge (the family stateroom I believe is what they call it). I just don't think I can justify that, but if it were $1900 I would jump at it.

It is special and something you both will enjoy. Do it and don't look back. Have a great trip

My sincerest condolences on your loss. We have lost three parents recently, and just used an inheritance to take our entire family on the Fantasy pre-Christmas.

FWIW, we always cruise aft and would not consider giving up an aft cabin for any other. IMHO, you will not find another place onboard that is as peaceful, private and quiet as your aft balcony, with views that are fantastic and soothing, truly a place to get away and sip your favorite beverage at sunset .... For us, the perks of concierge do not outweigh that (although we elected to not sail in that category).

We did find that the Satellite Falls area was truly relaxing and relatively crowd-free. Other than that, the Fantasy crowds could be overwhelming and noisy. Be sure to book specialty dining and consider rainforest spa passes as treats.

Enjoy your cruise!

Here's what I would do! Wait until you get to port and ask how much to upgrade there at the port, likely half of what you are asked to pay before embarking...usually there are concierge rooms available to upgrade...Use any savings to buy something at one of the ports or on ship that strikes you as a memory of your mom...she'll be smiling down on you watching you live your life with joy and not worry!

Well, I decided to splurge and do the upgrade last night. When I called, only 2 concierge cat v rooms where left... 12028 and 11004, I took deck 11.

When i get to port, I may see if any Cat T rooms are available, but honestly it's just hubby and I so space is sufficent in Cat V...however, I would love to be able to get room service, so a cat T would be needed for that :)

Thanks for all your replies. I decided sometimes in life, it's worth it to not always think about every nickle and dime :) I'm excited!

Thank you mokis mommy! The reason I'm thinking if splurging is because this trip will be paid by my inheritance, sadly my mom passed away at the beginning of December, only 67 yrs of age and missed enjoying some of the things she worked so hard for! She had just moved into a new condo, purchased brand new everything ( leather furniture, appliances, renos, etc...) and the tags where still on her furniture when she passed very suddenly and unexpectedly :( so I am using some of my inheritance for a trip with my husband, we've had very bad 2 years and I want to do something to relax and enjoy happiness with my hubby.i guess I can call the price of the splurge just part if the cost of doing my vacation how I'd most enjoy it! As we know too well, you are never guaranteed tomorrow, and sometimes it's ok to splurge and enjoy today if it won't bankrupt me :)

My mom would've enjoyed knowing I shared some quality time with my husband, and this splurge will add the ambience to my vacation I am craving right about now! I think I will upgrade and just go with it, as $1,900 although pricey won't cause undue, long term hardship. Thank you for your reply :)

Interesting enough, I was in your same boat. My mom passed at 65, and we too decided to do a get away and used inheritance and splurged on taking the family on the Disney Dream on the concierge level. I agree with what you said and felt it was worth it for us. It was something she and I had hoped to plan together, and we kept putting it off. Go and enjoy it, and if you are like me you will feel your mom there with you!

Moki's pretty much summed up my response, so I didn't add on, but given the circumstances, I think you made the right call. A trip 'in memory of' should be a little bit special.

Once concierge benefit I could see using BTW might be trying to get a nice bungalow at Castaway Cay if you can.