Ship's snorkel tour in February... too cold?

Baybear

Oceania Riviera advertises a snorkel tour in Key West for Feb 12th, 2015. I've heard that the water is very cold that time of year in Key West and that if you snorkel, you need a wet suit. There are no wet suits provided in this tour...

Has anyone had experience snorkeling in February in Key West and could they tell me if the water is "doable" without a wet suit, typically?

DW and I like to snorkel, but don't want to spend money if you can't even get in the water...

TIA

Being a local, I can tell you that water temps in February tend to be in the upper 60s/lower 70s. Right now, my canal water temp is 70. We're having an unusually warm winter so far, but don't expect water temps to be bathtub in Feb. Also, while temps are normally in the 70s in Feb, we are susceptible to cold fronts that time of year that can bring chilly temps for a day or 2.

I can see you're from PA, so I don't know how you feel about 70 degree water, but I might suggest snorkeling in a warmer port.

Edited by Aquahound

Being a local, I can tell you that water temps in February tend to be in the upper 60s/lower 70s. Right now, my canal water temp is 70. We're having an unusually warm winter so far, but don't expect water temps to be bathtub in Feb. Also, while temps are normally in the 70s in Feb, we are susceptible to cold fronts that time of year that can bring chilly temps for a day or 2.

I can see you're from PA, so I don't know how you feel about 70 degree water, but I might suggest snorkeling in a warmer port.

Thanks... That's what I thought. Wonder why the ship offers snorkeling in Key West when a lot of folks would not want to "brave the water?"

We're going to be in Roatan, Honduras; Cozumel, Mexico, Grand Cayman Island, Costa Maya and Belize and will be snorkeling in all those places, so we'll probably just do the "Key West City Walk" thing...

Snorkeling in Belize or Roatan is MUCH better than Key West. The reef off Key West all the tours use is in very bad shape. The water will be warmer in Belize or Honduras as well.

I agree. Save your snorkeling for a more Southerly port.

Mike:)

We're going to be in Roatan, Honduras; Cozumel, Mexico, Grand Cayman Island, Costa Maya and Belize and will be snorkeling in all those places, so we'll probably just do the "Key West City Walk" thing...

Good choice. You're making the right decision. Enjoy your cruise. :)