Backing up photos

onebzemom

We will be on the Freedom and I was wondering if the computers on the ship allow you to back up your photos to a memory stick.

I usually bring my mini laptop for my husband, but he's not going this time. I really don't want to bring it just so I can copy and paste everyone's pictures to a memory stick.

We are a group of six ladies and it would be nice to copy everyone's pictures and then put them on each ones memory stick.

We will be on the Freedom and I was wondering if the computers on the ship allow you to back up your photos to a memory stick.

I usually bring my mini laptop for my husband, but he's not going this time. I really don't want to bring it just so I can copy and paste everyone's pictures to a memory stick.

We are a group of six ladies and it would be nice to copy everyone's pictures and then put them on each ones memory stick.

It is my understanding that the USB ports on the ship computers are disabled to ensure no transfer of virus infected files occur.

It is probably easier to just bring along the mini laptop to accomplish the picture transfers. We back ours up each night after a port stop to ensure we don't lose any, and I tend to do this late at night while my DH is sleeping.

The other way would be to remove the SD card, put it away for safe keeping, and put a fresh one into the camera. My biggest concerns with this is a) getting them mixed up and over-writing with new pics, and b) losing it (them).

Whichever way you choose, have a fabulous cruise !

I used to carry a small laptop with me too for picture backups and a few other things. Now I carry tablets which are MUCH easier to deal with, have a longer battery life, and smaller. If you have smart phones, you may want to consider putting a larger microSD card into it and copying the pictures to it.

Most computers in ship computer lounges are just a keyboard and screen, connected to a central server. No place to insert a memory card or flash drive, or USB cord. I have never had a problem overriding pictures on a card. When the card is full, it will tell you on the screen that it is full. Unfortunately, I have at times not noticed this message and continued to try to take pictures...EM

This may be a bit overboard but my daughter downloads the camera memory stick to her computer every night. Then downloads that to an iPad. Plus saves each day's individual memory stick. These nonreplacement photos are so much more important to her since she lost an entire cruises photos.