Tips on Driving to a NY Cruise

SaucyNuggets

I'm driving to New York to catch the Carnival Legend. Does anyone have any tips or ideas of the best way to park my car and get to the port?

My best idea so far is to park at LaGuardia (the website says parking is $5/12hours, so a total of $80-85), and then take a taxi from LGA to the Port ($22-30+tolls each way).

Has anyone tried this or has any comments?

Any help would really be appreciated,

Saucy

PS: How much will tolls be from LGA to the port?

Where are you coming from? I park in Poughkeepsi for $3.75/day free weekends and take Metro North RR in. About $45 round trip for 2 adults- web purchased, then a cab from Grand Central- about $10 and much faster than from LGA.

I don't think parking at LGA will be best. You will be paying tolls to the airport and then

BACK in the taxi.

There may be parking outside of the city in Jersey or upstate NY. Don't go the island and then back into the pier.

(Grew up on Long Island)

There is a parking garage at the NY Passenger Ship terminal. Its expensive (about 20 a day) but it certainly beats taking a cab from LGA.

You drop your luggage off at the entrance to the terminal (wait til the porter takes it). Follow the signs for parking. Its cash/travellers checks up front for the week.

The only drawback is that it that you have to pick up your luggage from the entrance on your return. You cannot take it directly to your car. In the summer there are long lines in front of the terminal on disembarkation.

But all in all I think its beeter than parkinga the airport.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I think I am going to take the suggestion and park at the Port.

So I have to drop off my luggage before I park my car? Do you know what is the earliest time I can do this?

And on my way back I have to get my car first, then drive to pick up my luggage? That seems like a big hassle. Why won't they allow carrying luggage to and from your car?

Take the Horizon out of Philadelphia. Cruise is cheaper and parking is only $10 a day! NCL also has a ship leaving from there. Check out cruise philly. com

SAUCY NUGGETS: Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. You can get to the port at anytime. The will take your luggage even if the ship is not ready for boarding. We've been there as early as 11:00 AM in the morning.In my opinion the early you get there the better off you are.

On the way back here is how it works. You get off the ship, claim you luggage, go through customs. For some reasons they do not allow you to take your luggage to the roof top garage, I never understood this and yes it is a hassle. Someone will have to stay with the luggage outside of the terminal while the other person goes to the get the car and bring it around to the front of the terminal. Its not that bad if you get off the ship early but it is a hassle on disembarkation. There is a long line of taxis and other cars that you have to deal with to get to the front of the passenger ship terminal. But overall for the convenience I would still recommend this over parking at the airport...

The disembarkation problems are one of the main reasons that some of the large cruise lines (Royal Carribean e.g.) are using facilities outside of New York City....

Anyway I hope this helps....sorry for taking so long to get back...

CUNARD COUNTESS 82 ?

CHANDRIS FANTASY CRUISES BRITANNIS AND AMERKANIS MID 80'S

SUN VIKING (ROYAL CARRIBEAN) 92

REGENCY CRUISE LINES 2X'S IN THE 90S.

SONG OF AMERICA (ROYAL CARRIBEAN) 94

CELEBRITY CRUISE LINES, HORIZON (2XS), ZENITH (1X), GALAXY (1X)97, 99,00, 03.

CARNIVAL DESTINY 95 ?

GRAND PRINCESS 02

VOYAGER OF THE SEAS 04

• 2 weeks later...

there are none in the terminal that I no of. I do not recall if there are any in the area

CUNARD COUNTESS 82 ?

CARNIVAL DESTINY 95 ?

GRAND PRINCESS 02

VOYAGER OF THE SEAS 04

My Tip- Don't drive to a cruise leaving from NY.

Take public transportation. Most of us live near trains, take it into Penn Station or Grand Central and take a cab for $10-15 for a ride over to the pier.

Horizon 8/92-- Bermuda

Horizon 8/95-- Bermuda

Mississippi Queen 8/96-- Cruise up the Mississippi

Zenith 6/97-- Bermuda

Nordic Empress 7/98-- Bahamas

Triumph 8/99-- Canada

Zenith 8/00-- Bermuda

Norwegian Sea 8/01-- Canada/N.E.

Carnival Legend 8/03-- Eastern Caribbean

Voyager of the Seas 6/4/04 9 nt. from NJ-- Western Caribbean

• 2 weeks later...

NYC has been VERY serious about the traffic problems this year. The NYPD have been very pro-active in moving the traffic along. The NYC Cruise Ship Terminal (as it's now called) is getting a face lift, with major work to begin next year to increase capacity and efficiency. The major traffic problems of the past have been addressed. I say, go for it, if the 24.00 won't bother you.

Life is an adventure!

Alyssa_ani.gif

Destiny (6/2000)

Carnival Legend (10/2002)

Navigator of the Seas (1/2003)

Sovereign of the Seas (8/2003)

Mariner of the Seas (12/2003-1/2004 New Year's Cruise)

Just came home from Bermuda on the Horizon. we left out of Philly and what a difference from NY. You don't have to fight the traffic and only $10 a day to park. We were home to central NJ by 10:am

Personally, even with the headaches, I would do the drive in and parking. If you are going mid morning of Friday traffic should not be that bad. The terminal is just north of the Licoln Tunnel and a little south of the GWB...

Even, with the hassles and the extra cost there is nothing like sailing down the Hudson River.

We are from Central Jersey and have taken many cruises out of NY...so I say go for it...In my personal opinion lugging baggage through trains,buses and cabs is more of a hassle in my opinion...

CUNARD COUNTESS 82 ?

CARNIVAL DESTINY 95 ?

GRAND PRINCESS 02

VOYAGER OF THE SEAS 04

Archived