Silhouette Drydock

Shermcruiser

Were sailing on the 25th so I called Celebrity last week to enquire. (I missed the mention of the Azipod problem) Anyway, the Celebrity rep fully briefed me and said I should experience no issues.

Funny, my 1st X cruise was on the Millennium back in 2000. The ship was very new and they were having lots of Azipod problems then, too. So much vibration that in the rear of the MDR you could barely hear your table mates speak. I think the Millennium may have been the first cruise ship to deploy with Azipod style propulsion.

Carnival actually had the first ships with Azipods, but Celebrity wasn't far behind. Millennium was the first to have a combined Gas Steam turbine power plant. Or, so says Wiki.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sure hope someone who is boarding today will report in:D It would be a nice surprise if the Gastrobar was there! If they didn't do the new suite dining room I wonder when they would do it before April?

SO far only Eclipse is scheduled to get GastroBar.

As all ships will get the suite dining room within a few days of each other, clearly they have a "task force" type team getting prepared to handle that issue all at one time, likely 3 teams that will go ship to ship in my mind, having the materials loaded on when in ports the week they plan to make it happen.

I see a crew in Asia to handle SL and ML and perhaps IN in San Diego, another team in FLL to handle CS, SI and EQ, and another to handle RF, SM and EC.

The roll-out schedule is:

• SL 4/3 - in Sydney
  • CS 4/4 - FLL
  • RF 4/4 - MIA
  • SM 4/4 - San Juan
  • SI 4/5 - FLL
  • EQ 4/6 - FLL
  • ML 4/9 - Hong Kong
  • EC 4/12 - in Dry dock next departure 4/21 MIA for TA to Southampton
  • IN 4/13 - San Diego

Only Eclipse is in "dry dock" for this to get done. They likey have used CAD design to prepare all materials needed to quickly install the dining room. Really all that's needed is new carpet some chandeliers, perhaps some walls and new tables and chairs to pull off the dining room. A well-traineid crew can accomplish this on an overnight.

I install museum exhibitions for work, and you'd be amazed how quickly one can turn an empty room into something amazing overnight, with the right staff, planning, materials and crew around.

To my mind likely the ships will load on all necessary materials, put staff up in cabins, and have the work done over a 3 day period. But these types of changes do not entail dry dock time at all.

There was another thread about the X management being on a recent cruise, where all the head chefs were called onto that cruise and were practicing the new suite menu items and doing tastings.

Edited by cle-guy

On board right now. Gastropub was NOT installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you let us know if there is any obvious upgrades or additions other that the pod being repaired or replaced? Have a great cruise!

Cheers!

Ken

Some of the crew shared with us that they were told the gastrobar was going in during this drydock. We all look forward to hearing from someone boarding today if they notice any changes!

Wonder of it's the same crew who were saying Bistro on 5 was becoming a Suite Dining room....

In Cozumel. Attended lecture yesterday about propulsion. First question was about dry dock. Some info from second engineer from Panama (I forgot his name.)

This is what was done during dry dock:

New type of bearing for the azipod. $3.5 million. Delay of dry dock was because the new bearings weren't in production.

New scrubbers for the emissions.

New silicone coating on the ship. $100,000.

This is what he said. I cannot verify it's accuracy.

No cosmetic changes seem to have been made.

ImageUploadedByForums1421164811.893465.jpg.5a2b87c7134c99f2b020ef7d473b94a9.jpg

Wake looks more even.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you let us know if there is any obvious upgrades or additions other that the pod being repaired or replaced? Have a great cruise!

Cheers!

Ken

Returned Jan 18. Not much new other than repairs and mechanicals. Cellar Masters still there. Bistro on 5 not going anywhere. New cruise director is Richard Spacey and he was really great. He showed a comic video from his days on RCL. Funny guy. First cruise on X. Suite dining room will be completed while at sail as running change per staff as scheduled. Ship very smooth and very quiet. Maybe due to hull coating.

Oh Lordy! Spacey is on Silhouette?!

He was out CD on a back-to-back on Freedom of The Seas before he moved over to X. The guy has energy to spare that's for sure, but his shtick gets a bit old after awhile. We will be on Silhouette in about a month and a half. It will certainly won't be boring if he is still on board!

Returned Jan 18. Not much new other than repairs and mechanicals. Cellar Masters still there. Bistro on 5 not going anywhere. New cruise director is Richard Spacey and he was really great. He showed a comic video from his days on RCL. Funny guy. First cruise on X. Suite dining room will be completed while at sail as running change per staff as scheduled. Ship very smooth and very quiet. Maybe due to hull coating.

LOVE Richard Spacey! So glad to hear he is on Silhouette!