Butlers

brian_uk

Just as a matter of interest......what exactly do they do that is different to the room Stewards on other decks ????????

We are off tomorrow to The Edinburgh Festival but I expect to see dozens of replies when we return on Wednesday.

Brian

Hi Brian

For one, they make dinner reservations at the alternative restaurant. They also bring snacks in the afternoon. (I can't spell hor'doerves). They will also pack and unpack for you. Sounds great--but I'm not sure I want somebody packing and unpacking! And if you want anything, you just call them. We've had them on 2 cruise ships, and never bothered them for little things.

As for the Tatoo--we were there a couple of years ago and loved it. Lucky you!!! I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.

Esther

If you want to have a cocktail party they set up the room for you and bring the food (usually we have cheese and crackers, fruit etc.) If you have your own wine they bring in glasses..and best..if you want to eat in your stateroom one night they bring in dinner course by course..

Jan

Just as a matter of interest......what exactly do they do that is different to the room Stewards on other decks ????????

We are off tomorrow to The Edinburgh Festival but I expect to see dozens of replies when we return on Wednesday.

Brian

Brian,

The Butler will also draw your bath for you,he will not stay to scrub your back or play with your rubber duck though!!

So, if I want an iced tea or lite snacks at any time, the butler will bring them? If my husband wanted a beer, would he bring it to him? Is there a charge for the beer? We had a butler on our cruise several years ago on another line, but never used him. When you do order small things like tea or beer, does it take long for delivery?

Sharon

We had butlers on 2 of our cruises. The one on Orient was excellent. Every day the butler came with a notebook to see what they could do for us "that day". When we had ship tours; they came and got us and took us right to the tenders. Never any waiting. Offers were made to unpack for us which we didn't need. They did set up a cocktail party in our room. Made dinner reservations and checked on us twice a day to see what we needed. On Radisson; the butler wasn't that accomadating. We asked him to make dinner reservations for us and he said we had to call the restaurant ourselves. We gave him a couple outfits to have ironed when we first boarded. He said only one to a passenger and gave us back the other outfit. He didn't one thing for us that a room steward didn't do. The only reason we get a penthouse is for the larger room; not the butler service.

The only reason we get a penthouse is for the larger room; not the butler service.

Well, we didn't reserve a PH for the butler service either, but for those of us who don't sail that often, I think it's nice to know exactly what to expect. One of the reasons we didn't use the butler on our other cruise was because we didn't exactly know what we should or should not expect from him. Thought some of the regulars could just give us a few pointers. I'm beginning to think I'm on the AOL Paris Travel Board here and believe me, that's not a very happy place most of the time.:rolleyes:

Sharon

So, if I want an iced tea or lite snacks at any time, the butler will bring them? If my husband wanted a beer, would he bring it to him? Is there a charge for the beer? We had a butler on our cruise several years ago on another line, but never used him. When you do order small things like tea or beer, does it take long for delivery?

Sharon

You would dial the number on the phone which immediately pages your butler who will immediately bring you what you want. There is a mini fridge which is stocked with beer and sodas etc., but they charge for them, when you run out he will deliver to you. Beers were about 4 dollars.. but I think there were different prices ( imported and not)..

Our Butler on a recent Oceania Cruise was, to put it mildly, worthless.

We have had butlers on other cruiselines, and they did their best to make sure our needs were met. We are not high maintenance, but our butler on Oceania couldn't even get our specialty restaurant reservations right, and, only after many promptings, did he make sure my refrigerator was filled with Diet Coke.

After a while, we just figured out how to accomplish things ourselves. He delivered afternoon canapes to our suites (there were 4 of us in 2 suites) and that was it.

Butlers vary widely from line to line and ship to ship. They are humans, and some are better than others. Often it is the luck of the draw.

I must say that out butler was the exception, rather than the rule, of the standard of service onboard.

I drank the tap water on the ship for 17 days with no problem. We did buy a bottle or two of water on the way to shore excursions, but eventually just took back the empty bottle and filled it in our cabin.

Do the stewards/butlers provide a carafe of water and and ice bucket in the cabin...a few glasses?

ice bucket always full or just call.. lots of glasses available.. never saw a carafe so if you ask you'd get one I am sure ( but would probably be Oceania tap.):)

Tap is fine when I haven't bottled. If I am drinking anything with the ice on the ship, I am drinking ice which is frozen tap. I would however like a carafe in the cabin. I just have a odd aversion to taking drinking water out of a bathroom in a glass. Many ships have a carafe, an ice bucket, and some glasses on a tray in the cabin. I like that set up.

Just back from the Edinburgh Festival.....15 shows in 4 days.....exhausted and off to bed.

Interesting replies on this point and I agree that the Butler we had on Insignia was about as useful as a used teabag. The only request I ever made was to make sure that there were always Diet Cokes in the fridge and I had to remind him of this every 2 days........always an excuse that he had told someone else to do the job...........always a nice smile and that was about it.

Still we have booked again for next year July 14th.

Brian

"I agree that the Butler we had on Insignia was about as useful as a used teabag."

Our Butler on the Insignia was Demiti, and he did everything asked of him and did it very well.

Our Butler on the Insignia was Carlos. We also became aware of Demetri (as we were on the same cruise w/Digby). Carlos and the services he provided added greatly to our trip especially when a reserved bottle of wine went astray. Carlos was there to rescue the day. We understand that he is going to be on the Nautica so Digby perhaps you will meet up with him again on your upcoming cruise.

Archived