Minneapolis Passport Agency

SplitRaindrop

So I screwed up big time. Checked my passport months ago to make sure it was six months from our cruise. Thought it was fine and tucked it away until tonigth when we were going to check in for our cruise. Realized it expired July 2014 not July 2015....SO I now have an appointment at the Minneapolis passport agency (3 hrs from my home....). Does anyone have any experience getting a passport same day especially at this agency? I've found a few things onine and it sounds like it's possible. We do fly out of Minneapolis on Saturday so worst case I have to go back on Friday to pick it up but it would be loads of relief if I could get it the same day. I plan on bringing the following things per the state department and other websites i've read

1. Photo ID (drivers license) AND expired passport

2. Photos for passport

3. Citizenship - Birth Certificate

4. Money for the fees (probably checks)

5. Forms (I cannot recall the form number but I believe I need 2)

6. Letter from my charter cruise company, flight information

Anything else anyone knows/thinks I should bring?

If you're a US citizen on a closed loop cruise, just bring your license, certified BC and expired passport as back- up for the cruise. That is all that is required, I've done it many times. Why add all this stress when you don;t have to? And, make sure you don't miss the ship in port, then there will be trouble. ;)

Yeah I'm guessing this will be a no cell phone zone as well....

If you carry a purse or man bag make it the smallest possible.

Somewhere on the website will be a list of what is restricted to bring into the Fed Building.

Edited by SadieN

So I screwed up big time. Checked my passport months ago to make sure it was six months from our cruise. Thought it was fine and tucked it away until tonigth when we were going to check in for our cruise. Realized it expired July 2014 not July 2015....SO I now have an appointment at the Minneapolis passport agency (3 hrs from my home....). Does anyone have any experience getting a passport same day especially at this agency? I've found a few things onine and it sounds like it's possible. We do fly out of Minneapolis on Saturday so worst case I have to go back on Friday to pick it up but it would be loads of relief if I could get it the same day. I plan on bringing the following things per the state department and other websites i've read

1. Photo ID (drivers license) AND expired passport

2. Photos for passport

3. Citizenship - Birth Certificate

4. Money for the fees (probably checks)

5. Forms (I cannot recall the form number but I believe I need 2)

6. Letter from my charter cruise company, flight information

Anything else anyone knows/thinks I should bring?

Based on your cruises signature you are doing a closed loop cruise on HAL to Caribbean ports. In that case you do not need a passport to board the ship, to visit the ports, or to return to the US on the ship. As already stated if you are a US citizen you only need your birth certificate and driver's license or other govt issued I.d.

You'd only need passport if some emergency required you to leave the ship and fly back to US. It's good that you are renewing your passport but don't sweat if you don't have it back in time, but in that case make sure you have your birth certificate for the cruise.

Edited by NMLady

I'm pretty sure this will teach me my lesson for life. I actually may not even need a passport as it's a closed loop cruise BUT the charter company that we book through requires it. Doesn't make sense to me but I'm not questioning at this point with a week to go. Not looking forward to telling my boss in the morning that I need Tuesday off in addition to the week and half I already have...

Oh, OK, I read your first post quickly, when you said get your passport same day, and you mentioned flying Saturday, I thought you were getting your passport and flying out later that same day. Since you've got a little time, get the passport if your charter requires it. Do you have all your info ready for the wedding?

Getting passport Tuesday (hopefully!) and flying out this Saturday. Setting sail Sunday. I still can't believe I let this happen. Thankfully my wedding paperwork is all filled out and actually i could get to St. Thomas if i had to since it doesn't require a passport. I'm still very confused why my cruise is requiring it because it's not needed but like I said earlier I won't chance it. Now to explain to my boss in the morning...

Getting passport Tuesday (hopefully!) and flying out this Saturday. Setting sail Sunday. I still can't believe I let this happen. Thankfully my wedding paperwork is all filled out and actually i could get to St. Thomas if i had to since it doesn't require a passport. I'm still very confused why my cruise is requiring it because it's not needed but like I said earlier I won't chance it. Now to explain to my boss in the morning...

Some of the luxury lines also demand passports for all cruises even if not necessary, so sounds as if your charter also does. That way they don't have to worry about passengers being able to fly back to US if ship has problems.

Good luck.

Let us know how it goes for you.

VERY good point that just because the government does not require a passport for U.S. citizens on closed loop, the cruise line might. If you don't have the travel documents the cruise line requires, you don't board.

I'll share the details tomorrow but I was able to get a passport the same day at the Minneapolis agency. I think the distance I came was a factor but the process was simple. Hardest part was finding somewhere to kill time for a few hours! Happy to know I'll make my cruise on Sunday!

I'll share the details tomorrow but I was able to get a passport the same day at the Minneapolis agency. I think the distance I came was a factor but the process was simple. Hardest part was finding somewhere to kill time for a few hours! Happy to know I'll make my cruise on Sunday!

Great news. Happy to hear you will have proper ID to board.

Hope you have a great cruise. After this stress, you deserve it. :)

Great news! Now you can relax and don't have to take an additional day off work.

Thank you for coming back and letting us know.