Booking the Dream - Halloween - few questions

axelskater

I am considering (99%) sure booking a "Halloween on the High Seas" Cruise for Oct 2015. This will be on the Dream, which I have never sailed on. I will be sailing with my mom, just two of us.

*Can anyone tell me if there are any special plans for the actual day of Halloween? We are planning on being on board for Halloween itself.

* When my husband and I went on DCL back in its early days about 2002, I remember a Disney "Dreams" show which I loved, and it was still showing in January of 2014. I see something called "Believe" on the Dream Navigator. I would be disappointed not getting to see "Dreams". Small thing but it was such a wonderful show. Is this "Believe" show as good as "Dreams"?

*How is the Dream Animator's Palate dinner show compared to the older ships? We will only eat in that 1 restaurant, as the MDR doesn't suit us, we'll do Palo & Remy the other 2 nights, but I really liked the Animator's Palate show on the Magic.

Just a few small questions - any help is appreciated. Having only sailed on the Magic, just trying to get an idea of what the Dream is like - I am just a little concerned it may feel a bit crowded compared to the Magic, with more lines for everything, etc., as there are so many more pax. Any opinions on a comparison of the 2 ships? I have grown used to sailing the same ship for quite awhile ....this will definitely be different. THANKS!:)

1998-2003 - Carnival (2X), RCCL (2X), NCL (1X), DCL (1X)

Oct 2004 - Queen Mary 2

Dec 2005 - Queen Mary 2

Dec 2006- Queen Mary 2

May 2006 - Queen Mary 2

Dec 2007 - Queen Mary 2

Dec 2008 - Queen Mary 2

July 2008 - Queen Mary 2

Dec 2009 - Queen Mary 2

Dec 2010 - Queen Mary 2

Sept 2011 - Queen Mary 2

Sept 2013 - Queen Mary 2

Dec 2013 - Queen Mary Hotel in Long Beach, CA

Jan 2014 - Disney Magic - just to break out of the rut!

Oct 2014 - Queen Mary 2

Edited by axelskater

Disney Dreams is an award winning show that unless something has changed recently, is on each cruise on the last night on all ships. It did undergo a revision some years ago (mostly tech upgrades).

Believe is a completely different show on a different night.

Animator's Palate on the Dream does the Crush show. Think of "Turtle Time with Crush" at Epcot to get an idea of what it is like. It is NOTHING like the original Animator's show.

The Dream is BIG, with 4000 passengers. Of course, it has more space on board, so it isn't like they tried to cram 4000 onto a ship made for 2700. But it is very big and high tech. It is beautiful. The Fantasy is essentially an improved version of the Dream. The Magic has undergone "re-imagination" with a lot of esthetic changes since you last cruised her as well as having 2 new Animator's shows.

Thank you! Can I ask an honest opinion...We'll only be on 3 days. Is the Dream a definite "must-see?" I have the 2015 Unofficial DCL guidebook.

We basically just want to see the ship and park's Halloween celebrations, since we usually only see Christmas at Disney. The Navigators from 3 day Dream cruises this Oct. are showing "Golden Mickey's, Villains Tonight & Believe"...no "Dreams".

A talking crush doesn't really interest me. Is the new ship worth it? My mom & I were comfortable on the Magic in January, We were really only picking that one ship (Dream) to visit Remy in addition to Palo, and see the new bells & whistles, but two nights at Palo would suit me fine. The ship I usually sail on has only 2500 passengers yet is 151,000 GT. There is more room than one knows what to do with.

I know this is subjective, but you seem to be well-versed in DCL (my Disney expertise is the parks) - would you say the Dream is "must do"? Let's see if I can say it in Disney terms...IS the Dream "Grand Floridian" and the Magic "All Star Movies" resort by comparison? Or is it more Grand Floridian v. Contemporary? But if Disney has really stepped it up that much, I wouldn't wan to miss out... I guess I the way of dilemmas, this is a good one!

OK, I've been wrong before. No Disney Dreams on the Dream. No, it isn't a "must see" if you've done it once.

IMHO, a 3 night cruise isn't "worth it," but that's me. If I had an option, at the very least I'd do a 4 night. The big thing at the parks is Mickey's Not So Scary...this is a great evening, well worth doing. But it is available on many nights in September and October. You don't have to do it on 10/31.

No, you can't say the Dream is Grand Flo and Magic is All Star. In fact, the Magic had a 6 week "re-imagining" dry dock in 2012 with many upgrades--mostly decor, but a few "real" changes. And if you want the top of the heap, it is the Fantasy, not the Dream. The Fantasy had changes made before leaving the shipyard to improve on issues from the Dream's launch.

Personally, I'm a Magic girl (and I've done the Fantasy). There are features of the Fantasy that I love and it is absolutely gorgeous. BUT the Magic is more cosy and friendly. To us, the Fantasy was large and impersonal. Yes, beautiful THe Palo bathroom is a "must see" even if you don't eat at Palo. No kidding. But for us, the Magic is "coming home." OK, no Midship Detective Agency or Satellite Falls (Dream doesn't have Sat Falls either). Fantasy has better Midship Detective than Dream unless they have reprogrammed the Dream. IF you are cruising concierge level, the new ships have greatly enhanced service there with the concierge lounge and sundeck, happy hours, etc.

If I were booking DCL for essentially the same ports, the question would be Fantasy vs. Magic. Sorry, Dream would only enter my calculation for one reason--we know one of the stage actors who is typically on the Dream and miss seeing him. I don't regret that we cruised the Fantasy, but having done it once, I'm back home with the Magic. My next 3 cruises are "Magical."

IF I were doing the Dream, it would definitely be a 4 night. I'd shave off a park day for a longer cruise if necessary. That extra night adds a sea day. That's a huge difference.

We do like the Wonder as well--she just hasn't been doing cruises that fit our needs recently. Wonder still retains most of the original DCL features and decor, while much has been "updated" on the Magic. Some updates are good, but much of the classical origin on the Wonder is great too!

Edited by moki'smommy

:)I wanted to tell you thank you so much for the info...I read your comments a few times and finished my 2015 unofficial guide also.

Although it took a while to decide, we are booking the Dream today. I was worried about the space with so many passengers, the other ship I sail having so much room per passenger and in general, feeling like a cozy 2nd home for that very reason: no huge crowds. The Magic did feel "homey" last January but, we're branching out!

My decision came down to the MDR. I know Magic has only 1 alternative restaurant. I loved my last Disney cruise but the MDR food just does not do it for us, so this way we have our choice of 2 alt dinner venues for each night of the trip, and can choose our dining time also. I would have possibly eaten at AP on the Dream, but you mentioned this is a "Crush" show, and I checked it out on you tube - it doesn't look as good as the Magic AP. So it looks like we'll get to know Remy & Palo and still be able to enjoy all the other wonderful aspects of a Disney cruise. Thank you for your review - it was very helpful

I just booked the Dream for October 1, YAAY!! Do they decorate for Halloween for all of the month of October or just for 31st? I love Halloween and all the decorations! We are doing WDW post cruise, so I know I'll get my fix there lol

The Halloween on the High Seas dates for the past year were:

Disney Magic September 27, 2014 - October 26, 2014

Disney Wonder September 26, 2014 - October 31, 2014

Disney Dream September 07, 2014 - October 31, 2014

Disney Fantasy September 06, 2014 - October 25, 2014

Most likely they will be similar for this year.

You're welcome. Have a great cruise.

You DO know that Remy is $75 per person without the wine' date=' right. Just so you're not surprised. It is very similar to Victoria and Albert (started with same supervising chef), so that is a good value compared to on land.[/quote']

Thanks Yes, I read the "Unofficial Guide" book which gives full pricing structure for just about everything. I see the new Remy "small plates" tasting on embarkation day will be starting soon and I read the press release which referred to Supervising chef Scott Hunnel, and I suddenly realize now from reading your post where I know his name: V & A! Last time I was there we did Queen Victoria Room. This is a relative bargain in comparison.