Europe Airpost

Was checking the availability for a reasonable priced week in the Med in May /June. I notice all the flights from Glasgow to Palma are with Europe Airpost.

If this is the same airline we flew with on the Thomson cruise we were on last summer we would never fly with them again. This was the worst flight we have ever experienced in over 30 years of air travel. Old, shabby, cramped,broken seats, dull, drab, depressing. The crew were unpleasant, harassed, not in the least helpful when I mentioned the broken seat I was sitting in was causing me great discomfort. They didn't give out questionnaires on the flight. I emailed my complaints on my return. Needless to say I got the usual standard letter saying they would reply within 28 days. After 28 days had passed I emailed again. Said they would reply within 28 days again........still waiting !!!

Why is it when we pay such hefty flight supplements to fly from Scotland we get such a raw deal.

Does anyone else have any experience of flying with Europe Airpost ? It seems they fly cargo at night then quick changeover to passenger during the day. Average age of planes is 19.3 years.

Thomson's brochure states

" In line with EU regulations, we need to let you know who you will be flying with. This includes any connecting flights or transfers.

" We will let you know who the airline is when we send your tickets. If there are any changes after that point we'll tell you before you check in or at the boarding gate. When you come across anything to do with flights in this guide, we'll usually be talking about Thomson Airways. So if you are flying with another airline, you'll need to check their conditions too. From time to time, we need to change airlines or plane types, but this isn't classed as a " major change " to your holiday.

So when you get your tickets a week or two before travel and you find you are not travelling with Thomson Airways, it is up to you to check your baggage allowance etc.

Think we will be cruising with Fred from a port near us this year again.

Was checking the availability for a reasonable priced week in the Med in May /June. I notice all the flights from Glasgow to Palma are with Europe Airpost.

If this is the same airline we flew with on the Thomson cruise we were on last summer we would never fly with them again. This was the worst flight we have ever experienced in over 30 years of air travel. Old, shabby, cramped,broken seats, dull, drab, depressing. The crew were unpleasant, harassed, not in the least helpful when I mentioned the broken seat I was sitting in was causing me great discomfort. They didn't give out questionnaires on the flight. I emailed my complaints on my return. Needless to say I got the usual standard letter saying they would reply within 28 days. After 28 days had passed I emailed again. Said they would reply within 28 days again........still waiting !!!

Why is it when we pay such hefty flight supplements to fly from Scotland we get such a raw deal.

Does anyone else have any experience of flying with Europe Airpost ? It seems they fly cargo at night then quick changeover to passenger during the day. Average age of planes is 19.3 years.

Thomson's brochure states

" In line with EU regulations, we need to let you know who you will be flying with. This includes any connecting flights or transfers.

" We will let you know who the airline is when we send your tickets. If there are any changes after that point we'll tell you before you check in or at the boarding gate. When you come across anything to do with flights in this guide, we'll usually be talking about Thomson Airways. So if you are flying with another airline, you'll need to check their conditions too. From time to time, we need to change airlines or plane types, but this isn't classed as a " major change " to your holiday.

So when you get your tickets a week or two before travel and you find you are not travelling with Thomson Airways, it is up to you to check your baggage allowance etc.

Think we will be cruising with Fred from a port near us this year again.

We had a similar experience flying to Corfu from Edinburgh 2 years ago on Monarch (another second rate substitute!). Sounds like deja vu in actual fact.

I did notice when I was checking out flights from Glasgow to the Dream next summer that it was Europe Airpost.

When you are paying a premium price for a cruise you do not expect a rust bucket.

We are flying with Europe Airpost from Glasgow this year. Our flights were changed to them after we booked. When I checked their website at that time it said 15 or 20kg so hopefully if Thomson have chartered the whole plane it may be 20kg. Not so bothered about the hand luggage as 7kg is quite heavy to lug about the airport.

Hi. I work in the industry and I'm very familiar with Europe Airpost. They're French airline and operate under exactly the same exacting regulations as all other airlines in Europe and have been flying for over 20 years.

Just like Jet2 they operate a combination of 737-300s and 737-300QC (quick change) so they can convert easily from cargo to passenger flights and because of the way the cabin is, and they cargo door is concealed, you'll never know the difference! Many Jet2 planes fly passengers during the day, then post at night.

They usually operate a buy on board service just like Thomson Airways. If you go europeairpost.com you can see a menu and even a virtual tour of their aircraft. If you're at all concerned, don't be. They've been flying this year transatlantic on the 737 from GLA without any problems and have a great safety record.

Air Contractors are their parent company, and Aer Lingus use them for a lot of their US/Canada flights now so they must be good if a national carrier is using them.

If your ticketing says 20KG then that should be what you're entitled to. The 15KG may just be a standard for passengers who buy flights with Europe Airpost. However as you're on a charter, those chartering state what the allowance is. If there's any doubt, get it In writing from Thomson.

Aircraft age is wholly irrelevant. Some British Airways jets are over 25 years but nobody would hesitate getting on them. There is a misconception out there that with increased age brings reduced safety, and that's simply not true.

And have a great flight and holiday.

That's reassuring FOD1984 - I'm sure travellers will appreciate the inside track on that score.

Nancyneptune had a bad experience of the internal condition of the plane though and I do think Thomson shouldn't subject passengers to sub-standard comfort - it will drive customers away if they feel they are being given a poor quality experience. OK in emergencies they may have to draught in extra planes but a regular sub-contracted/chartered airline should be vetted and up to an acceptable standard for comfort. (Mind having said that their own flights to Egypt used to be awful - so cramped for a fairly long flight!) The flights from Scotland appear to be most likely to be affected - I wonder if they are being a bit cynical realising you haven't too many flights/options if you want to travel from there, so you'll put up with it.

I just popped in though to say something about Jet2 which you mentioned in your post. Our friends who are long-time Thomson customers (land-based holidays though not cruises but I would guess twice a year over about 20 years) and for the first time last year booked the hotel directly instead of with Thomson (same hotel under same conditins - room/board in Tenerife) then flew by Jet2 (from Manchester as it happens) saving themselves hundreds of pounds and said what a superb flight they had with Jet2 as compared with the planes they've been in the habit of travelling on with Thomson. They said they intend to adopt this independent approach in future.

So for anyone concerned about Jet2 - our friends had a really good experience with them - but of course planes will vary in condition.

Edited by kruzseeka

Thanks FOD 1984. I remembered you had replied before when I posted about this when I booked in September and I was reassured then. Do you think Thomson will charter the whole plane? I'm not sure how these things work!:confused:

I'm not sure this is the same company as last year. The year before we had JetAirFly from Edinburgh and they were very good. The plane appeared to be almost new.

Edited by Sheila49

We flew from Aberdeen to Corfu last year for the Adriatic Explorer itenerary and were a bit concerned when it was an Air Germania flight instead of Thomson. However it was one of the better flights we have been on, and in contrast to some previous Thomson flights which I found to be cramped with too little leg room.

Therefore in my experience it's best not to worry too much before hand, just keep an open mind and look forward to your holiday.

We went to Madeira last New Year with Monarch (Saga) and it was fine, much better than a BA flight with Saga a few years ago.

Also we went with Jet2 with Fred last year. That was fine too. Seats that didn't recline, thank goodness, as I always get the person who decides to fling his seat back just as I have taken the lid of my cup of tea :mad:

Thank you FOD1984 for the info. on this airline. Thanks also to Kruzseeka for your understanding re the discomfort we felt on the flight last year.

On looking at the Europe Airpost flights again, we see that the Glasgow flight arrives in Palma at 7pm. It would probably be about 8 - 8:30 pm before you board the ship. The first day almost gone by the time you get your cabin and unpack. Departure time from the ship would be about 8:30 am the following week for the early flight back to Glasgow. So the last day wouldn't count either. Not really worth it considering the flight supplements etc.

Can't pre-book seats or purchase extra baggage allowance on Europe Airpost

We will look at perhaps booking a cruise only and separate flights as this may be a better option. With lots of brochures and great offers popping through the letterbox at the moment I'm sure we will find something.

Hope you get your flights sorted for Easter Little Nell and you have a lovely holiday.