Tours available at Port

kentuckychris

I have searched this thread and have gone back pages. Can anyone tell me if there are any tours offered when you get off the tender? We are just looking for a cheap tour as we have done this port before but it's been years. A couple of our group want to see the ruins and a couple would just like to go to a beach somewhere and drink beer. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Most of the tour operators standing around the tender pier are there to pick up cruisers with pre-arranged tours. You might be able to get a tour to somewhere at Wet Lizard, but not positive that they book with their vendors on "day-of". Outside the Tourism Village, you can find a whole host of people looking to take you on all kinds of tours including cave-tubing and Altun Ha ruins. I can't opine on the quality or reliability of these vendors. Some cruisers think their pitch men are too aggressive and scary. As far as a beach and drink beer, you'll need an excursion to one of the cayes. Which I don't think anyone outside the T.V. offers because these are private cayes and only open to scheduled vendors. Or a take a taxi to Cucumber Beach, the local man made beach and marina about 15 minutes from the Tourism Village. I'd recommend taking one of the water taxis to Caye Caulker and walking up to the Split and grabbing a beer at the lazy Lizard or from one of the other places along the main drag. But no ruins here. It'd be tough to do both Altun Ha and Caye Caulker on your own.

Most of the tour operators standing around the tender pier are there to pick up cruisers with pre-arranged tours. You might be able to get a tour to somewhere at Wet Lizard, but not positive that they book with their vendors on "day-of". Outside the Tourism Village, you can find a whole host of people looking to take you on all kinds of tours including cave-tubing and Altun Ha ruins. I can't opine on the quality or reliability of these vendors. Some cruisers think their pitch men are too aggressive and scary. As far as a beach and drink beer, you'll need an excursion to one of the cayes. Which I don't think anyone outside the T.V. offers because these are private cayes and only open to scheduled vendors. Or a take a taxi to Cucumber Beach, the local man made beach and marina about 15 minutes from the Tourism Village. I'd recommend taking one of the water taxis to Caye Caulker and walking up to the Split and grabbing a beer at the lazy Lizard or from one of the other places along the main drag. But no ruins here. It'd be tough to do both Altun Ha and Caye Caulker on your own.

We were there a few years ago and our tenders were delayed. Our private excursion left without us (they refunded our money to our credit card before we got home, no problem) and we had no trouble joining up with another tour company at the port and had a great day of snorkelling. Also got a better price---they're looking to fill up their tours so you can haggle over the price. No guarantee that they will have space though.

Tony and Debbie

We have been to Belize many times. There are many tour agents in the port area. They offer all types of tours.

The issue is they wait until they have the number they need to begin their tour so you can spend alot of time waiting for them to find others for their tours. There are many tours there and you do not have to go outside of the fenced in port to see them.

We gave up waiting and went to lunch! If you are interested in a tour, ask them when it leaves. Does it depend on finding others to join the tour?

• 2 weeks later...

We just got home late last night. We used Coral Breeze Belize Tours.

We got on a tender pretty easy it was actually a long tender ride in from where the Emerald Princess was anchored to where the port is. During the tender ride they do try to get you to sign up with tours and such but quickly and happily left us alone when we said we had book a tour locally so I don't know what they cost but a few people did sign up with them. There were LOTS of venders offering tours in the port area too. A bit pushy. Nothing is "Cheep" anywhere anymore it's all relative but they were less then the cruise line.