The beautiful Davina...in Port Miami...on a Tuesday?

northerndynasty

We live in Miami Beach and are honored to take in the majestic views of Her Majesty, the Davina, every Saturday night during "season". However, She is in Port Miami today - a Tuesday - just 4 days after leaving Port Miami.

Is this a scheduled stop, or is there something else going on?

Anyone with any information?

Thank you!!! I did it twice as bad, didn't I?!?! Silly me for thinking of posting this 'early' in the AM. Serves me right! :)

Thanks for the follow-up, though. Perhaps that is it! A 2-day cruise seems like an awfully short one, but perhaps it's meant as an 'Introduction to cruising' cruise? That'd be just enough to lure someone in - and for all the right reasons!

Can't go back and change the spelling; I feel so embarrassed! Oh well, guess we knew what I was referring to.

:)

Divina did a rock "techno" charter cruise jan3-6

Check http://www.holyship.com

kind of a pity - such a beautiful ship- 4300 raving rock fans partying over 3 days/nights but it's about filling ships and revenue; Msc is ultimately responsible for its marketing program, of the long term caring of its highly taunted beauty and swarovski staircases !

Divina did a rock "techno" charter cruise jan3-6

Check www.holyship.com

kind of a pity - such a beautiful ship- 4300 raving rock fans partying over 3 days/nights but it's about filling ships and revenue; Msc is ultimately responsible for its marketing program, of the long term caring of its highly taunted beauty and swarovski staircases !

...thank you for the additional feedback. I will completely agree with you that it is a "pity" they do these things, and regretfully, it is about filling ships and making money.

Hopefully the hard-working Staff can revitalize her in time for her next Voyage, and return her to her luster. She is a most beautiful site - especially when we watch her leaving at night.

We live in Miami Beach and are honored to take in the majestic views of Her Majesty, the Davina, every Saturday night during "season". However, She is in Port Miami today - a Tuesday - just 4 days after leaving Port Miami.

Is this a scheduled stop, or is there something else going on?

Anyone with any information?

Don't worry you're not the only one .

Seriously!? You sound rather close minded to me. I fail to see the difference between people gathering who share a common love for a music genre versus vacationers who gather for a week on the ship.

I've attended countless techno or EDM shows as they are referred to. The crowds are some of the most kind, beautiful, and accepting I have been apart of. I work in the industry so I've been to everything from pop to rock to country to stuff like this. To think these "ravers" as you call them are any more of a danger to a ship than the regular vacation passenger is unfounded.

Furthermore, these cruises are wildly popular and sell out very quickly. In the long run, filled ship means good business for the cruise company. Isn't that what we all want on this board so they can reinvest in their fleet, compensate employees better, etc?

...thank you for the additional feedback. I will completely agree with you that it is a "pity" they do these things, and regretfully, it is about filling ships and making money.

Hopefully the hard-working Staff can revitalize her in time for her next Voyage, and return her to her luster. She is a most beautiful site - especially when we watch her leaving at night.

Edited by Ctrix65513

Seriously!? You sound rather close minded to me. I fail to see the difference between people gathering who share a common love for a music genre versus vacationers who gather for a week on the ship.

I've attended countless techno or EDM shows as they are referred to. The crowds are some of the most kind, beautiful, and accepting I have been apart of. I work in the industry so I've been to everything from pop to rock to country to stuff like this. To think these "ravers" as you call them are any more of a danger to a ship than the regular vacation passenger is unfounded.

Furthermore, these cruises are wildly popular and sell out very quickly. In the long run, filled ship means good business for the cruise company. Isn't that what we all want on this board so they can reinvest in their fleet, compensate employees better, etc?

Couldn't agree more.

Back in the early 90's when I was wild and young and heavily into dance music I would have given anything to spend a few days on the Divina. Even today it'd be great especially with that line up! I know Annie Mac was especially looking forward to playing the ship as she mentioned it on her Radio 1 show.

I spent my weekends in a field in Cheshire doing a similar thing. Less sun, less bikinis but same good vibes no doubt.

Charter cruises are great business for the cruise lines and we must not be precious about other walks of life enjoying the use of the ship.

From my ipad

Though I can totally understand your initial reaction to that person's response about the Jam Cruise, let me tell you, they were right. We were on the sailing immediately after the Jam Cruise and several MSC employees and port officials commented on how bad it was. The ship was left in a very bad state and required major cleaning. In fact, boarding was delayed several hours due to it. I got there at 2PM to board and was not able to get on until 5 PM.

Most of the ship carpet had to be steam cleaned, chairs in lounges were wet with signs on them due to the cleaning process. Certain lounges reeked of sick. One particular MSC employee in a shop told me that were was rampant marijuana use on that sailing and that the smell seeped into deck 4, which is their quarters. He personally saw many people high on drugs and even asked the following passengers to complain to MSC so that they can reconsider these charters. He said the "Holy Ship" sailing, another music one before it, was pretty bad too but that this one was worse.

Then there was the male passenger that jumped off the Divina while on the Jam Cruise. That was also a reason for the major delay in boarding the ship for the next sailing.

I have nothing against different music genres or charter cruises. What I do have a problem with is when the previous sailing takes time away from my cruise. When public areas are affected and smell do to the previous sailing being sloppy drunk and sick. When we board so late that we miss the muster drill, yes, this happened to many of us. It's not fair that our sailing was so affected by the Jam Cruise.

Several MSC employees seemed concerned with future damage if those sailings were allowed to continue. I suggest that MSC figure out who they want to be in this American market. You either cater to the party atmosphere that Carnival does, or are an elegant refined sailing experience like Celebrity is. Or maybe somewhere in the middle. But I recommend they rethink their future charter cruises and make sure it is in the best interest of their ship and their image.

Just wanted to say you were right, they sure did a number on the MSC Divina. MAJOR cleaning required afterwards that delayed embarkation by several hours + one of their passengers jumped off the ship. (Later rescued by the Coast Guard.) I heard there was heavy marijuana use on that sailing. So much so that the smell seeped in to deck 4, MSC employee deck.

A week already, let us spare a thought for all the victims of the sad events in Paris, who will be “Going Home” by the “Low Road”, while we are still alive & lucky to travel by the high road and the high seas.

Thank you , Blackerbys17 for your update on Msc Divina (aka Holy Ship) in the aftermath of the EDM charter cruise. It confirms what i knew . I am still quite amused by Ctrix65513 comment “Seriously!? You sound rather close minded to me”, then it's quite alright , how could he or she know that :

• I am the dad of a very successful DJ/EDM artist who plays worldwide to 1000’s of “raving” fans ; his lady friend is equally a successful EDM artist. They bring me on tour, and backstage , hence i get first hand exposure to the EDM party world, a nostalgia of the Woodstock days.

• My last cruise was on Msc Divina Dec 27, 2014 -Jan 3, 2015. During that cruise, I had the privilege to chat with the cabin, dining room, buffet, pool & public places staff . While individual tipping is great, showing care by chatting , knowing about who they are and what they do is also good. Kudos to them; most of them work 11hrs a day , 7 days a week , on a 7 months contract for $1100 a month (food, board & tips included) ; i heard their candid stories about their daily chores, about the pressures to turn around the ship in 3 hrs for the next cruise, their workload between a regular cruise and a Holy ship cruise.
  • My first cruise was aboard the P&O Oriana in 1980 across the Indian Ocean & the Great Australian bight.
  • On the morning of December 30, 2014 in Saint Maarten, a twilight zone moment ; a time warp of 35 years, as my last & first cruise ships came together ; as I walked onto my Divina balcony, i saw the ageless beautiful P&O Oriana docked besides the young beautiful Msc Divina. :)

Yes, the poor staff does work and try so hard. But they can only do so much, they are not miracle workers. Mind you, I sailed after the Jam Cruise (the Holy Ship sailing was before that) and I was told by several crew members and port employees that Jam Cruise was worse than Holy Ship (though there were some pretty wild stories about both including heavy drug use).

I know charters are a necessity sometimes from a business standpoint but it does muddy the waters for those of us who are looking for a different cruising experience. From now on I will take extra measures to make sure that if there is a charter right before my cruise, it is one that I need not worry about.

I lost quite a few hours of vacation time do to Jam Cruise and the smell lingered in various parts of the ship. Kudos to MSC staff for still providing a fun, relaxing, and elegant cruise. I'll be back at some point.

Oh my! I just realized that Holy Ship is doing ANOTHER sailing on the Divina Feb. 18 of this year! :eek: Luckily the 4 day cruise I was considering booking is right before it, not after. But I feel sorry for the people boarding the Divina on Feb. 21.

Prepare for possible long delays at check-in. Fingers crossed they behave better this time.:(

• 2 weeks later...

a quick note of interest to Ctrix 65513, and maybe skyking (who knew about the jam cruises)

my son, the DJ/EDM artist i mentioned in a previous reply, hit a Gold record; got 2 nominations for the Juno Awards March 15 in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Best breakthru group, Best dance album.

Juno is a north of the border, cousin of the AMA - American Music Awards.

a quick note of interest to Ctrix 65513, and maybe skyking (who knew about the jam cruises)

my son, the DJ/EDM artist i mentioned in a previous reply, hit a Gold record; got 2 nominations for the Juno Awards March 15 in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Best breakthru group, Best dance album.

Juno is a north of the border, cousin of the AMA - American Music Awards.

Well deserved nomination. Hope to see them win it.

I've seen them perform many times here in Chicago- great show they put on.

Sad to hear your suspicions where right regarding the behavior of the guests. I agree it's not fair when it affects other guests vacation as confirmed by the poster above.

I guess I had hoped for better and was being too optimistic. It'll be interesting to see how MSC & HolyShip react moving forward. While the talent lineup was top notch, a part of the appeal to me was it being held on one of the nicer lines. Have a feeling we may see this on Carnival or the likes in the future.

Edited by Ctrix65513