On our own in Grand Cayman....

gkrnjlr

I've never been to GC and am wondering what is recommended for the day in port? We would like to do this port on our own but are wondering what are the "must see" sights and is everything within walking distance?

Anything you can share will help! I did read on another thread that GC is very safe.

Thanks for your help!

GC is an easy DIY place. The beach is but a bus ride ($2.50 pp) away....there is some shopping within walking distance. But, some other things will be further away. Google GC, and see what interests you...then we can give more detailed info on HOW!!

Is the post office and H e l l within walking distance? There are also turtles there...?

I'm not sure that the beaches appeal to us since it is our first time going there and we're turning Ocho Rios into our beach day.

Thanks for your help!

Is there a map that shows where the ship tender will bring us in as well as everything around there?

You will tender directly into Georgetown, the main town on Grand Cayman. There is shopping, restaurants, etc. It's a very safe pretty little island with little crime. It's a big center for the Banking industry, so it's very commecialized. It's very different from most other islands in the Caribbean. It's a very flat island and easy to get around, although you would drive on the opposite side of the road. Some people rent cars, but using the bus system, or grabbing a taxi is a very easy way to go. There will be lots of tours and taxis available right at the tender dock, although if you have a tour you really want to do, I would research it and pre-book it before you go.

Most of the "must-sees" are on the Georgetown side of the island, if you can call them that. Hell, Turtle Farm, Seven Mile Beach, launches for Stingray City, most resorts, etc. are all near Georgetown.

You would need a bus, taxi or tour to visit Hell or the Turtle Farm and most points along Seven Mile Beach. There are also Botanical Gardens with Blue Iguanas, a Mastic Hiking Trail and some other features more "inland" if you can even call it that.

The most visited, must see site is Stingray City Sandbar. You'd need a tour (boat) to do this tour as it's out in the ocean, but it is a fanstastic experience and everyone should do it once in their lives. Many, many tour operators for this excursion.

Grand Cayman is known mostly for their beaches, and is a diving and snorkeling mecca. Our "must-see" in Cayman everytime is snorkeling. We usually go on our own and there are a lot of places to snorkel from the beach (no boat required) in GC. It's amazing.

Is the post office and H e l l within walking distance? There are also turtles there...?

I'm not sure that the beaches appeal to us since it is our first time going there and we're turning Ocho Rios into our beach day.

Thanks for your help!

Just a suggestion is that Ocho Rios be an excursion day and Grand Cayman be a beach day. Ocho Rios offers awesome excursions, and the beaches there are just very average. Just my opinion from someone who's been to both destinations many times.

Thanks for your help!

Yes the post office is in walking distance. Walked there last trip. Cant give you directions. We walked into town to cancel a lost credit card and picked up some stamps. Still had time for 7 mile beach.

Yes the post office is in walking distance. Walked there last trip. Cant give you directions. We walked into town to cancel a lost credit card and picked up some stamps. Still had time for 7 mile beach.

I'm thinking they are wondering about the Post Office in Hell. That one is NOT in walking distance.

Hi - we've been on the Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Cozumel cruise several times. On Cayman we've taken a tour to the stingray city - it was amazing, took all day, long boat ride out, cool rays - but, if it's your first time to the Caribbean there's so much else to do besides pet fish. We've taken a "tour" out to Hell and the Turtle Farm and the Rum Cake factory - that was a waste of money. The sites are fun, but the tour was way overpriced. The Turtle Farm used to be a little place, really inexpensive, non professional. Now it's a really well developed attraction where you can see all sizes of turtles, pick them up, pet them, learn all about them. If you buy your tickets online ahead of time you can save money. The Rum Cake factory was/is a disappointment. I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't a gift shop with a couple windows showing a bakery. The samples were plentiful and fantastic, so it's worth a stop. Hell is interesting, also worth a stop. We've mailed postcards to ourselves from Hell twice, and have never received them. This time I think we'll hand carry them home. All three stops are out on the end of the island. We either rent scooters or take the municipal bus (van) system. The yellow marked buses go to all three places. You can stop at Funeral Beach on the way back to the ship to experience pristine white sand and glass clear water. Check out http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147365-s303/Grand-Cayman:Caribbean:Public.Transportation.html

http://www.explorecayman.com/transport

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/cayman-islands/729791#sthash.BGuXKNPu.dpbs

for articles regarding the bus system.

To see Queen Elizabeth's Botanical Garden and Iguana Habitat would require a rent a car, a taxi, or determined scooter riding. It's a bit of a distance. Very worthwhile, the iguanas are awesome. They are on the opposite side of the island, so you'd probably have to wait till next visit to see them.

I agree with the above post about beach day in Cayman vs beach day in Jamaica - Jamaica is FABULOUS and there is so much more to see there. You can do Hell, Turtles, Rumcake and still have time for beach on Grand Cayman. Jamaica has Dunns River Falls, river tubing, river rafting, botanical gardens, rum factory tours, plantation tours, Mayfield Falls, shopping with rum tasting, jack-in-the-boxes, so much more to see and do than Cayman. You might consider "doing" in Jamaica and "beaching" in Cayman.

Hope this helps. We'll be doing this itinerary again in February. Woo Hoo!

Agree about doing a beach day in Cayman. Smith's Cove is near town and has bathrooms, outdoor showers, picnic tables and shade. The snorkeling is really nice there, about a mile south of Georgetown. You'd still have time to shop when you are done. 7 Mile Beach is nice, but a lot more crowded; Rum Point is beautiful, but farther away (you'd need a cab); and Cementary Beach has nice snorkeling, but no bathroom facilities or showers.

Rum Point is beautiful, but farther away (you'd need a cab)

A rental car is a much more convenient and economical way to get to Rum Point than a taxi. A taxi there is about $80US each way for up to 3 people, and since it's 45 minutes from town you would need to pre-arrange the return trip.