Tell me your thoughts about Norwegian Jewel

InTheWASide

Curious for your thoughts. I have been on Star and Pearl before. How does Jewel compare? Any big differences and are they good or bad being different?

Also, how have the Norwegian Next renovations been received? My last time on Pearl was before this was done.

Thanks for your feedback!

Curious for your thoughts. I have been on Star and Pearl before. How does Jewel compare? Any big differences and are they good or bad being different?

Jewel is almost identical to Pearl, just without bowling and wall climbing. On deck 7 shops and nightclub are just switched on Jewel. I wouldn't say that the two major differences make either one good or bad.

It's been several years since I was on the Star (or Dawn), but there are a few differences.

The biggest difference is that the Spinnaker Lounge is on deck 13 forward on the Jewel and has floor to ceiling windows on three sides. This makes is a great spot to sit during the day and watch the world go by. On the Star, Spinnaker's was moved to the aft deck 7 (where the shops are on the Jewel/Pearl) and replaced with more cabins.

The Jewel has the great outdoors seating area at the aft for outdoor eating. On the Star, that area is the Kid's pool.

There is more...and I'm sure others will add to this.

I've been on the Pearl once and the Jewel twice (third time coming up in a little over two weeks) and both are very nice ships. The only thing I can think of that I liked better on the Pearl was their buffet. It just seemed better to me. That's not to say that the one on the Jewel is bad at all, just not as great as the Pearl's.

On the jewel last October has one main Meal a day such as Ribs and Pot Roast and you can have a Beer! I thought it was a great place to try! The Jewel looked good after being in dry dock! I will be on hr again in October! I prefer the Jewel class ships but I love the "Star" Have a great Cruise.

On the jewel last October has one main Meal a day such as Ribs and Pot Roast and you can have a Beer! I thought it was a great place to try! The Jewel looked good after being in dry dock! I will be on hr again in October! I prefer the Jewel class ships but I love the "Star" Have a great Cruise.

Thanks!

So if I understand you besides the typical menu which I think is still pretty much Blue Lagoon's menu there will also be some sort of homestyle or comfort food thing each day? And did you mean you have the option of getting a beer? or if you order those items do they include a beer (at which point I assume that means they are charging for some menu items)?

Also, how have the Norwegian Next renovations been received? My last time on Pearl was before this was done.

Thanks for your feedback!

Jewel has Spinnaker as Observation lounge with awesome views. Star doesn't.

Jewel has open air seating GreatOutdoors aft. Star doesn't.

I liked both ships. I've never been on the Pearl.

Edited by NMLady

In response to InTheWASide's question - Food in O'Sheehan's is free, but you pay for beer, wine, etc. Items that I remember from the menu are chicken strips, fried mozzarella sticks, salad, soup, fish and chips, chicken pot pie, corned beef sandwich, meat loaf, hot dogs and burgers. I think that one or two nights at dinner time they had prime rib, one or two nights fried chicken, and one night ribs. There were also were a couple of desserts. They also serve breakfast there (with a limited menu) in the morning.

When I was on the Jewel last August, there were a couple of nights where there was a special menu in O'Sheehans (ribs, prime rib) that was not available in the main dining room. I think NCL was trying to better distribute the diners.

I enjoyed the buffet on the Jewel (even though it was on the one side of the ship. Several different stations and overflow seating in the Italian restaurant. I did find that the selections went way down out side of prime time for that all important between meal grazing.

In response to InTheWASide's question - Food in O'Sheehan's is free, but you pay for beer, wine, etc. Items that I remember from the menu are chicken strips, fried mozzarella sticks, salad, soup, fish and chips, chicken pot pie, corned beef sandwich, meat loaf, hot dogs and burgers. I think that one or two nights at dinner time they had prime rib, one or two nights fried chicken, and one night ribs. There were also were a couple of desserts. They also serve breakfast there (with a limited menu) in the morning.

Thank you. Couldn't tell if the original person that replied meant that the special items like prime rib came with a beer (at which point there is no doubt a small charge) or if it was more a statement of "and there's a bar!"

Sounds awesome.

Does O'Sheehans on Jewel have the bowling and billiards and all that like on Breakaway/Getaway?

We sailed the Jewel our first NCL cruise, she's what got us hooked. Of course he sister the Pearl is our favorite, but Jewel runs a close 2nd

We LOVED Pearl! We started with NCL on a 1 day coastal on Star, then the following year did a 2 day cruise to nowhere on Pearl. Loved that ship so much we did a 7 day coastal on Pearl the following year. I actually kind of wish we could have done Pearl but we're booked a special way and had certain voyages to pick between. While there is no Bliss Lounge on Jewel (little bummed about that) I preferred Jewel vs the other option which was Norwegian Sun on a shorter coastal GIVEN how much we enjoyed Pearl.

Epic had us a little skeptical (we weren't in the group freaking out about the bathroom setup or anything... just never really saw anything too WOW about it but the majority of what they did with Breakaway and Getaway is exciting to us and Escape looks AMAZING (especially the new renderings they released today with that grotto area at at the outdoor nightclub aft.

We're sort of using this to see what all has changed in the 5 years since the last time we were on NCL and then based on that I think Escape/Getaway/Breakaway will be on the short list of what's next.

Edited by InTheWASide

Jewel is the sister ship of the Pearl, so a lot of things are the same.

I have a complete review with tons of pictures in my signature line if you are interested in it.

If you just want pictures, you can go HERE. You didn't say what type of room you would be in, but HERE at the balcony pictures if you are in that type of room. :)

I've been on Jewel twice and Pearl once.

I didn't use the bowling alley on Pearl which is in the same place as the shops on Jewel.

The pool area seemed the same to me. For some reason, the seats in the theater are more comfortable for me on Pearl.

The décor of the buffet on Pearl is slightly more appealing.

I would sail again on either one of them.

I have a complete review with tons of pictures in my signature line if you are interested in it.

If you just want pictures, you can go HERE. You didn't say what type of room you would be in, but HERE at the balcony pictures if you are in that type of room. :)

Thanks I'll check it out

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Forums

Thanks for the pictures. I think we'll give the Jewel a try. Now I just have to wait for a year to sail on her :(