Complainers and freebies

Kakidoll

Yeah, I was really pissed off. I get that the cabin stewards try to do fun things with the towel animals, but I should be entitled to a reasonable expectation that a personal (medically necessary) item left in the locked room should be safe from breakage without me having to lock it up in the safe. I guess I was wrong there since I was partially liable for my glasses breaking when I just left them on a table next to my makeup.....

At the other end of the spectrum......I wrote a note to Carnival Corporate (a real hand written note) and included photos of our family following our first cruise and gave praise to those who went above & beyond what was expected. I did mention that I would love to see a little more organization in the photo department as far as finding your photos, etc. I didn't expect anything in return as I wasn't really complaining mostly writing to indicate what a wonderful cruise we had. I received a letter stating that the employees that we specifically praised would be noted in their files for their supervisors and was offered a $50 OBC and a choice of either 4 drink coupons, a photo coupon, strawberries or wine (basically a $20 value) on our next cruise. Although I did not expect anything in response to my letter it was nice that it was acknowledged by a real person. Unnfortunately, we were unable to used the OBC or gift options as it was only good for 18 months and we did not cruise within that time frame but it was a nice gesture non the less :)

I was on a cruise one time and there was this man in his mid 40s wearing a neck brace and in a wheelchair complaining loudly to guest services that he needed his room upgraded immediately. He had booked a room on the riveria deck, but said he needed one on the empress deck or higher because of his medical conditions. The rep told him they would not be able to accommodate him, and they argued back and forth about this for several minutes. My aunt was with me and kept telling me that they man was faking, and I was scolding her, telling her he probably was in pain. Anyway later on we saw the man at the sail away party, no neck brace , no wheel chair, getting down doing the wobble and cha cha, and bout every dance you could think of. Every time I saw him that cruise I would laugh. I just thought it was funny what some people would do for a freebie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have made 3 complaints out of my many cruises.

My third complaint was on Carnival Glory. We had an interior cabin and all night from 9pm till 6am every few minutes a bang could be heard that sounded like a door slamming.

I had the same issue on the Costa Fortuna.

We must have had the same inside cabin.

Are those ships the same class?

Edited by fireofficer5

While on the Paradise recently there were really loud banging noises at 11pm the first night and again from 8-10pm when we left port in Cozumel. I reported the first instance to customer service when I went down for ear plugs. I didn't complain, just made them aware. When I reported it the second time they came right down and checked on it and told us it was the steam pipes. It didn't ruin my cruise, nor really change it in any way other than I slept with earplugs.

On our last night we had 4 free drink coupons in our room with a "we're sorry" note. It was unexpected. We didn't end up using them. The cruise had a few bumps but nothing that I expected anything for.

Now...back in July we had an issue with ventilation that caused our room to always smell like cigarette smoke. We told customer service, they did nothing, we told them again and again and again, nothing nothing nothing. This impacted our cruise. We just wanted it fixed not get something from it. This made that cruise not as good as the most recent. However, it could have been totally amazing.

In the first example CS acknowledged the issue and tried to make it right. In the second they could have given a rats you know what. That made a huge difference.

I had the same issue on the Costa Fortuna.

We must have had the same inside cabin.

Are those ships the same class?

costa fortuna is built from the destiny / triumph class platform (with the triumph tweak in the extra deck) - which is similar but not identical to the conquest class.

I had trouble with the toilet in our room. It was constantly leaking and flooding the floor. We reported it several times. Each time they would send maintenance to fix it. It was very annoying because we would wait most times, an hour or longer for them to arrive. We couldn't go out and enjoy things we had planned on because we were waiting for them. I believe it happened 3 times and after the 3rd time, the guy started accusing me of putting sanitary napkins in the toilet. I explained that I had done no such thing and he continues to insist I did because they found one (in the hallway outside our room, he removed a panel from the wall and I guess found it in a pipe or something) He still didn't believe me and just said, please don't do it again. I was pretty humiliated that he found something and thought that I did it. I never complained but I was really upset about it the whole time. Was just happy that they finally fixed the problem after the 3rd time of calling.

Out of my eight cruises, I have generally had very few problems.

On my first sailing on the Legend, we had a couple of small problems I do not remember. Then, the straw that broke the camel's back is we went to an event that was supposed to be in the spa, they directed us to a waiting area, and then we just waited. About 15 minutes after the event was supposed to start, we went back up to the spa desk. They acted like they had no idea what we were talking about and had no idea we were waiting.

I was already annoyed about a few other things, so we went to guest services and complained. We were given 4 drink coupons, but it was the day before the cruise ended (next day was debarkation) so we only used 2.

I had a problem on the holiday ship- the first day I was on the ship I cut my hand on the main stairs down. My hand was bleeding- went to customers service. They gave me a bandage and a bunch of mumbles I'm sorry. That's it. I was mad the whole time on that ship

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A couple of old and scared people calling 911 on Celebrity about a POSSIBLE riot, is not nearly the same as the SEVERAL mob riots that HAVE happened on carnival.

Edited by jp30338

A couple of old and scared people calling 911 on Celebrity about a POSSIBLE riot, is not nearly the same as the SEVERAL mob riots that HAVE happened on carnival.

I have to ask.....if you despise Carnival and its customers so much, why do you continue to sail them?

Seriously, your griping makes you seem like someone who loves to be miserable.

Edited by gone_cruisin

I have to ask.....if you despise Carnival and its customers so much, why do you continue to sail them?

Seriously, you're griping makes you seem like someone who loves to be miserable.

because I wanted more sea days on my So. Carib cruise this year and the only cruise line that offers an 8 dayer is Carnival. Otherwise, I would have stayed with RCCL or X. My Fascination cruise was free and the elation was only $159.pp, so that was a no brainer quick cruise and at the time I could drive to nola in a few hours.

Edited by jp30338

We were booked on the Triumph for February 9th and I got an email of an itinerary change. (I should note here, that when we booked, it was almost a year out) They were moving the Triumph so we were moved to the Magic (bigger/newer ship). And it went from a 5 day cruise to a 6 day cruise with an additional port! So far so good right? I was ecstatic. Then I remembered, I had made a hotel reservation for the night prior to sailing. I had to change that since we were leaving a day earlier now. The problem was I had booked the room and pre-paid $89 through Kayak.com, a third party. I knew it was nonfundable, but I called Kayak anyway, not to get a refund, but to try and move the night a day earlier. They said they could not. They had no block of rooms available for that night. I was prepared to take the hit for the $89 but the VERY nice manager at Kayak got it approved for a refund, which was in my account within 24 hours.

The issue with Carnival comes in here. When I tried to rebook another room in Galveston for the new night, the cheapest I could find was for $148. An approximate $60 difference. Now Carnival did state in their email that because of the change, they would reimburse anyone for airline ticket change fees in OBC. So I thought surely they would do the same in this situation and give us $60 in OBC for our change in hotel pricing. But when I called, I was told no, that the offer was only for air fare changes.

I did not make a big deal out of it, because 1) we were getting 6 days for 5 and 2) an extra port at no extra charge! I just thought I would ask, and if they said yes, great, if not.......lesson learned to NEVER book through a third party and pre-pay again that far out.

But my question to Carnival is, if they would reimburse you for changes to your air fare made because of THEIR schedule change, why not other costs incurred due to schedule changes also? Just a thought.

I had a problem on the holiday ship- the first day I was on the ship I cut my hand on the main stairs down. My hand was bleeding- went to customers service. They gave me a bandage and a bunch of mumbles I'm sorry. That's it. I was mad the whole time on that ship

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm confused at to why you were mad? You cut your hand and they gave you a bandage. What did you want? What is it that cut your hand?

My last cruise I put in a complaint to my cabin steward. He had spoiled us rotten and now I had to go back to the reality of my wife not having chocolates or any other type of turn down service.

I know... how awful of those people on cruises cater to us all week long and then expect us to go back to reality where we are not constantly waited on. :p

As someone who works in the travel industry in a Customer Service based role, I have learned first and foremost that things will happen. PERIOD. Things break, things happen off schedule, things change often at the last minute. It is just the way it is.

What separates a good customer service experience from a bad one is how a company/customer service rep handles the situation when it occurs. When I make a complaint, it usually is just to ensure the company's awareness or because something may need to be corrected, not necessarily for compensation. Oftentimes a quick apology is all that is expected or needed. If action is needed, it should happen quickly and without me having to follow up again. Good communication is also key. If I call because my cabin a/c isn't working properly and they tell me someone will be there in 30 minutes to look at it. Don't let me wait an hour without an update. If something more pressing and urgent came up, update me and give me an idea of when I can reasonably expect my issue to be addressed.

I also think that the consumer should take more responsibility for their choices. With all of the technology and resources at our fingertips today, it should be fairly easy to research your options to be able to make informed decisions. If doing the research yourself is too intimindating or time-consuing, pick up the phone and call the company and ask your questions. Recently my husband's nephew called me because him and his wife booked a cruise for this summer. He wanted to know if he had just made a "$400 mistake". He saw on the cruise docs that the ship would dock back in Miami at 8AM and booked return flights out of MIA at 9:30AM. Now, understandably, he was concerned that his flights were too early. I told him that it is doable, IF everything goes right - ship docks early, they carry off their luggage and get off the ship as early as possible and hop in the first cab they saw for the airport. Then hope there are no long check in lines at the airport or delays at security and pray their gate is the furthest one away. I have been at my gate at MIA as early as 8:45AM before. But he needed to know that any one thing could mess the whole thing up. Ultimately, they chose to keep the 9:30AM flights knowing that if they miss it they will either have to pay the $400 change fees or try to get home on standby. They have no need to rush home, so to them it is worth the risk and they know what their options are. Had they done the research BEFORE they booked their airlines, it wouldn't be an issue.

Bottom line is I don't make a complaint with the expectation of receiving compensation. If the company, does decide to provide comp, great...I'll take it. But better than that, is them just doing the right thing the first time.

Misty

The only time we ever complained was about an excursion booked thru Carnival. It was one of thoses snorkel trips off a giant catamaran. Unfortunately it was right after hurricaine Irene. The waves were way too big for snorkelling, but that didn't stop 3 different boats from trying. They didnt have enough equipment for everyone. They tried to give my son a life jacket instead of a dive vest. There was nothing to see and it was crowded and dangerous so we gave up quickly. Others didn't...several had to be rescued out of the water. One guy fell getting back in the boat (I think from it rocking so bad) He cut himself pretty badly. There was no first aid kit on board, luckily another passenger had one in his backpack. Anyway...we mentioned the issues to GS when we got back. They said they would look into it. They did, and we got refunded the cost of the excursion. Used it for another dinner at the steakhouse...so we were happy.

For all the replies. I find it amusing that on FB you see NOTHING but complaints... i come here asking and there are VERY few. VERY telling in some ways. Its all in the perception. :cool:

I think the complainers to JH are specifically looking to see what they can get for their complaint hence the number you see on FB. That being said, I have also seen a few attaboys. Not many, but some.

We had an issue on RCI several years ago. Got to our cabin and found all of our luggage, minus one smaller bag. It contained my underclothing, socks, and neckties. We reported it later in the evening and GS said they would look for it and to call back in the morning. Called back in the morning and they said they were still looking. I went shopping for underwear and socks and t-shirts and a tie in Key West, just in case. Long story short, kept checking with GS throughout the week. They said housekeeping was looking in all staterooms, but still hadn't located it.

The final night of the cruise, there was a knock on our door. I opened it and an elderly lady was standing there. She said "I think I have something you want in my room". (Insert joke here) I took my wife and a female friend with me to the lady's room. She pointed to my bag on the floor, amongst numerous other luggage. She was travelling with her three sisters, and they had never noticed the extra bag. She encouraged me to not tell GS that it had been found in an effort to obtain greater compensation. That's not my way, so I called GS when I got back to my room.

I told GS I had located my bag in a stateroom directly across the hall from my room. I further stated that I had to do shopping in Key West for my necessary items. They asked me to tally up my receipts and call them back. I did so and they deducted that amount from my on-board account. I was very satisfied.