Cruising with Small Children

abcsteward

:eek:

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes... I have raised my CHILD... Only one cause God knew I couldn't handle two of her... BUT... I have read several posts here on CC... In the Carnival Forum... Where people don't seem to want anyone bringing their "kids" along on a vacation...

I can understand we ALL like our adult time... But... Carnival is for familys' right???

I know some people don't want to be on a ship with children, However I remember being a child and having fantastic family vacations that are part of my makeup as a person. Those strong family ties are the strength and support we rely on in the stormy days of life!! Carnival is for kids, families and the like. I wish you a great vacation and have fun and no worries. After all we all have to be a child once!! It's like a chicken hating eggs!!! Enjoy!!!

Edited by xeroxme
typo

Meh, we're taking our 16 month old on a cruise next week. Will he remember it? Nope. Do I care? Nope. We're going with my parents, sister and grandpa. My 9 year old daughter and my husband will be along as well. I can't wait to see how my son reacts to the ship and all the new experiences. We've traveled with my daughter since she was very young, and while she remembers some of trips, she doesn't remember some. It's fun to look back through pictures and tell her stories of things she did/said on vacation. For us, it's all about spending time together as a family.

BGnder, let us know how this goes!! We are having another child this June and we have an 8 year old girl. We are going on the Vista next november when my youngest will be 17 months and my other daughter will be 9! I am curious how your experience will be!!!

There may be other reasons than cheaper rates for taking children out of school for a cruise; please don't assume this is the case. A mother's or father's work schedule may take them away for long periods during the year or during the entire summer. This has been the case for us in the past; we don't book the cheapest cruises, either. Last year we took our children to Hawaii. It's really no one's business why we take our children out of school. As long as we work with our teachers and administration, our children are actually receiving an enhanced educational experience learning about new cultures. This year they will experience Alaska and miss a week of school. I understand you have your opinion, but please consider you could be so wrong in assuming the children are missing something by not being in school rather than gaining knowledge visiting new port cities and countries.

I agree, why we take our kids out is not anyone's business as long as we work with the teacher/administration to understand what is being missed. In fact, we just took our daughter out of school (2nd grade) for 8 days so she could go to Ireland on a business trip with me (my wife and her went along). We brought up to her teacher whether this was a good idea and she not only said it was not a big deal, but actually encouraged us to take her and said she would learn more in Ireland in a new culture and new place than she would in a week of 2nd grade!! My daughter was so excited to create a journal of where she went and what she saw and then bring in some coins, money, and other souvenirs she picked up on the trip. She is now even into the Titanic since we visited Belfast! I think it was WELL worth taking her out and she even did some homework on the flight and hotel. How would that be detrimental to her?

We are taking our daughter out of school next next November (2016) for 2 weeks to go on the Vista. We'll spend a few days in NYC and then 2 weeks on the trip. We will expect the teacher to provide some homework and my daughter will do a journal and collect souvenirs along the way!

I can understand if your child is struggling in school, or a week from graduating high school and have finals or other commitments, but even then that should be case by case.

Edited by JMKreno

Just took our 9 month old on the Pride earlier this month. Who cares if they don't remember? I do! It's family time and its not a family vacation if one us is left behind.

He was a hit with everyone on that ship....crew & passengers. It was sweet and sad to see the crew interacting with him because they would tell us they hadn't seen their own children in person in months.

• 9 months later...

My daughter is getting married on a Carnival cruise this March. Needless to say most of the family is going, including my other daughter's young children. We are trying to figure out what to pack so here are my 2 questions for anyone that may know:

1. Does Carnival have life preservers for swimming available to use?

2. Grandson can be (not often) a bed wetter. Does or will Carnival supply waterproof mattress pads? Will she need to ask for one to be put on the bed?

We can supply these things for ourselves if Carnival doesn't supply them but she doesn't want to pack anymore than she has to.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

My daughter is getting married on a Carnival cruise this March. Needless to say most of the family is going, including my other daughter's young children. We are trying to figure out what to pack so here are my 2 questions for anyone that may know:

1. Does Carnival have life preservers for swimming available to use?

2. Grandson can be (not often) a bed wetter. Does or will Carnival supply waterproof mattress pads? Will she need to ask for one to be put on the bed?

We can supply these things for ourselves if Carnival doesn't supply them but she doesn't want to pack anymore than she has to.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

The life preservers on the ship are only for emergencies and can not be used for recreational swimming. We just bring our own life vest for floaties for our girls.

I am not sure about the mattress pad, maybe someone else can help you with that questions.

I hope you have a great family cruise. We leave in less than a month for our family cruise and I can't wait.

We've been taking my kids cruising with us for years. My youngest is 5, and she is about to go on her 8th cruise! She probably doesn't remember most of them (she started when she was 17 mos)...but since we are cruising as a family, we would have never considered leaving her home. These are our family vacations...and the pictures and memories that WE have are priceless!!

I agree that there are kids that misbehave and annoy me. But you know what? There are lots of misbehaving adults, too! Let's face it...it's not just kids...there are just some people who are rude. But at the end of the day...most of the kids and most of the adults behave very well!

For what it's worth...we have never taken our kids out of school to cruise (that's just our choice - not criticizing anyone who does!). But as others have said, some schools follow non-traditional calendars (like many in metro Atlanta). As you can see from my signature...our prime months to cruise are February and September, as we have school breaks during this time.

I've never had anyone on any of our cruises act rudely to our children, or act in any way like they were not welcome. Quite the opposite...I have found that adults are always very complimentary of our kids!

Edited by Domergirl