Cruising with Small Children

abcsteward

:eek:

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes... I have raised my CHILD... Only one cause God knew I couldn't handle two of her... BUT... I have read several posts here on CC... In the Carnival Forum... Where people don't seem to want anyone bringing their "kids" along on a vacation...

I can understand we ALL like our adult time... But... Carnival is for familys' right???

I was emphasizing families for the inclusiveness of Carnival's target market, not to correct ;)

I gotcha buddy... ;) And I meant THANKS for clearing it up for me... ;) No hard feelings... It is after midnight here in Texas... And I saw I had misspelled it as soon as I did it... LOL

Bah!

I can't wait to take my toddler son on his first cruise this April. He is going to love Seuss at Sea.

Yay... He will love it... My Daughter didn't go on her first cruise til she was 5... But she loved cruising... And is a bit sad that I now plan to take my Grandson instead of her... LOL

And I saw I had misspelled it as soon as I did it... LOL

You can always hit the edit button and fix errors for about 15 minutes after you post. :)

To answer your question, Carnival IS for families. Some people just don't get that. They will make generalized negative comments regarding children onboard, and some will have ZERO tolerance for kids no matter what. I've received death stares and looks of disgust from some passengers who seem insulted at the sight of my completely quiet sleeping toddlers strapped to their umbrella strollers. :mad:

Unfortunately, there are a handful of unruly, poorly raised children that are usually running around unsupervised, and who simply don't know how to behave in public and even less on a cruise ship. These few are the ones that people have an issue with and the ones that give a bad name to the rest of kids onboard who are behaving properly.

BUT, saying that one doesn't want to sail with kids because of a few bad ones is the same as saying that one doesn't want to sail with adults because of a few idiots that are poorly behaved, have zero manners, drink too much, are too loud, or have poor hygiene which unfortunately can also be found onboard. Personally, I'm more annoyed by the poorly behaved adults than by the poorly behaved kids.

With all of that said, Carnival is a VERY poor choice for those wishing to avoid children altogether, even then ones that are well behaved. If someone wants to sail kid free, they better look at some of the more "adult oriented" cruise lines. And even then, kids can still be found onboard, although based on my last cruises on Holland America and Princess, the issues of kids running unsupervised, taking over hot tubs, screaming down hallways, or commandeering elevators are greatly minimized.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

One of our best cruises was a few years ago when we took our kids and our than 1 year old grandson. He wasnt going to sit quietly over a two hour dinner in DR so as necessary we put him in his stroller and went for a walk.

In a few weeks we are doing it again and now he is 3 1/2 and his brother 15 months and will again have an awesome time.

Some people allow their kids to run amok on ships and it gives all kids a bad name.

DH and I have grown children and enjoy our adult time. We still find we can sail carnival relatively child free during the off season. We sail during Sept or May when there seem to be few children. If we were to sail during March break etc then it would serve us right if we were surrounded by little ones.

Don't get me wrong. We both love children, but at this stage in our life we enjoy a little more peaceful surroundings. If we ever find this not working for us we would probably switch to another line.

We leave in 11 days for our annual family cruise. This will be mine and hubby's 5th cruise, my 14yr old and 11 yr old's 4th cruise and my 4 yr olds 3rd cruise. Already planning our 2016 cruise. Our cruise in Feb 2014, i only got one snide remark from some uptight angry old man asking why my kids werent in school. My kids, my decision is what we told him. If you dont want to cruise with kids, dont cruise Carnival. There have always been a bunch of kids on every Carnival cruise we take regardless of when we have taken the cruise during the year. Just my opinion.

We will continue to cruise each year as long as we can. My kids love it and so do we.

I have a toddler myself and love kids..have no problem with them onboard. As the spouse of a teacher, I think it's not a good idea to take kids out of school to go on vacation. They get plenty of time off every year and to foresake their education for a cheaper cruise rate seems wrong to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a toddler myself and love kids..have no problem with them onboard. As the spouse of a teacher, I think it's not a good idea to take kids out of school to go on vacation. They get plenty of time off every year and to foresake their education for a cheaper cruise rate seems wrong to me.

I agree with you. To date we have chosen to cruise only when they are out of school. However what another parent does is on them. And many children are on different, non traditional schedules.

We just completed a trip on the Breeze with our 5 grown children and 11 grand kids 6 and and under (down to 7 months). It was a blast. A review is coming with some traveling with small children portions.....:rolleyes:

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes... I have raised my CHILD... Only one cause God knew I couldn't handle two of her... BUT... I have read several posts here on CC... In the Carnival Forum... Where people don't seem to want anyone bringing their "kids" along on a vacation...

I can understand we ALL like our adult time... But... Carnival is for familys' right???

You have people complaining on Disney forums about kids too. With night time activities and how kids should be sleeping etc.

Yep. Take your young one and have a great cruise. I've never worried a bit about offending someone for taking my son.

We leave in 11 days for our annual family cruise. This will be mine and hubby's 5th cruise, my 14yr old and 11 yr old's 4th cruise and my 4 yr olds 3rd cruise. Already planning our 2016 cruise. Our cruise in Feb 2014, i only got one snide remark from some uptight angry old man asking why my kids werent in school. My kids, my decision is what we told him. If you dont want to cruise with kids, dont cruise Carnival. There have always been a bunch of kids on every Carnival cruise we take regardless of when we have taken the cruise during the year. Just my opinion.

We will continue to cruise each year as long as we can. My kids love it and so do we.

We take our kids out of school twice a year for vacation. I love what you said...my kids, my decision...it is no one else's business why my kids are out if school. My kids love cruising. February marks their third cruise. We also do almost everything with our kids. I love traveling with them. We bond so much on vacation.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I am a former teacher, and I guess I kinda disagree? I think it is more of a personal decision. We are taking all 9 of our kids out of school in October for a cruise (not because of price, but my fiancé's work schedule). Anytime they miss school for anything pre planned, they make up work before we go. So far we have no problems. One just finished school early, graduates in May, and another is on track to be valedictorian. I think it just all depends on the situation, and making sure they don't miss stuff like state tests, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This year is the first time we are cruising with our kids, otherwise I've traveled solo or with hubby or a friend. I would be fine not taking my kids out of school, except for the fact that when school is on break they double/triple the price. Doesn't exactly scream family. So yes, we are opting to take our kids out of school this year, but for 4 days, since there is a 4 day week. And, to be honest, I don't want to take my kids cruising in summer since we live in a cold climate with long winters - or fall during hurricane season.

The only time I've ever had trouble with kids on a cruise was last year when 3/4 families all with several children grouped together, the kids didn't want to sit in their seats and ran around the tables in circles the entire time, pushing each other down, running into waiters, knocking over other peoples drinks, it was bad, the worst I'd ever seen, and this was the late seating.

Ok, reading all the posts, it seems it went from is it ok to take your kids on a cruise to taking my kids with me everywhere to taking them out of school for a cruise.

Those are not the issues. The issue is how the kids behave on the cruise.

If they behave and not run around unattended, don't scream and throw fits, everything is fine. Most kids I have encountered are fine and well behaved. But there is always a few that press all the buttons in the elevator, run down the hallways at all hours of the night with no parent in sight and scream because they won't eat their dinner but want ice cream.

The real problem is the parents. Hey, you brought them, now you stay with them, take care of them, you deal with them. Remember, all the other passengers paid big money to enjoy their cruise. Don't ruin their time even if your kids is not acting up to standards.

The other side of that is that I can always get up and leave too. I can just go up to Serenity, get me a Pina Coloda and relax in a hammock.

BTW, I have taken my kids on several cruises and now that they are grown up and moved away, they are always up for a cruise with Mom and Dad again. Just got off the Breeze with my 2 daughters ages 26 &23. Very good memories grown up cruising when young. Enjoy these times.

Edited by HawkIVette

I don't disagree with you, but sometimes, when we know that it's time to be together, then we go be together. I like the cruise because it is hard to get in touch with us, we are able to disconnect from jobs/pressures.

And, I ALWAYS meet with the teachers if we are wanting to take them out of school to see if they are ok to miss...we are fortunate that both our kids our good students and their teachers have absolutely no concerns. I don't think it's any different than the students who miss afternoons or full on days to travel for their sports.

But, a previous poster is right, we got off topic so I apologize to the OP :)