Group on board

wandb

Are you sure got the right place?

RHODE SCHOLAR

What is a Rhodes Scholar? Who was Rhodes?

The Answer:

A Rhodes scholar is someone who has been awarded a Rhodes scholarship. The world's oldest fellowship program, Rhodes scholarships provide students with two years of study (with an option for a third) at Oxford University in England.

The program was established in the will of British-born financier and statesman Cecil J. Rhodes who graduated from Oxford in 1881 and died in 1902. Rhodes outlined a plan that would bring students from different countries and cultures to Oxford in the hopes that their interactions would promote international understanding and peace.

Rhodes' first plan included nine countries. Since then, the program has expanded to include Australia, Bangladesh, Bermuda, Canada, the Commonwealth Caribbean, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Jamaica, Kenya, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Singapore, South Africa, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.

The United States, which handed out its first Rhodes scholarship in 1904, recognizes 32 Rhodes scholars each year, making it the largest delegation.

Candidates from close to 300 U.S. colleges and universities apply each year. Selection committees in each of the 50 states nominate students and it's up to regional committees decide who will receive the 32 scholarships

Read more: What is a Rhodes Scholar? | Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/rhodes-scholar.html#ixzz3OEo7Y52k

This was what came to mind when I saw the name. Wasn't Bill Clinton a part of this group?

I booked my May cruise in early October and early dining was not available. Fortunately, we did get confirmed for early dining within a month. It may be too late for a Jan cruise but I would still try again if you really want early dining.

If nothing pans out before you cruise I would also go to the MDR upon boarding and request the seating you want. We've often observed a number of people requesting changes at that time - the seating you want may open up due to a change by someone else.

And SAIL ,.,. we too are part of SS folks who always request late seating. We like it because we never have to hurry after an excursion nor do we ever miss Sail Away which we enjoy immensely. If we get hungry we order room service snacks, stop by the Lido, or visit one of the pool area food venues for a snack to tide us over.

Can someone tell me what a "Road Scholars" group is?

Just went through this on Monday. I noticed that there is a "Road Scholars" group scheduled for the second leg of my Mexican/Hawaii cruise in March. Before I paid my final payment, I had my TA contact HAL. This was the TA's response - "I’ve had a discussion with Holland America regarding groups on your cruise. Unfortunately, they cannot give me the size of the group. They did say that they do their best regarding the impact on the other passengers.

I did go onto the Road’s web-site and saw that they have nine morning lectures and only one cocktail party on the days at sea. Also, they will be in the Rotterdam dining room for their group.

Sorry that I could not find out more information, I did have lengthy discussions with Holland America."

I understand HAL reluctance to give out such information, since I for one, would cancel my cruise if it was a large group/charter. I have since personally checked Road Scholars' www site. This was the information posted - "ms Veendam Designed to carry fewer guests than other ships in its class the ms Veendam is 720 feet long with a beam of 101 feet. The ship can carry 1200 passengers of whom approximately 48 are Road Scholar participants. All cabins have air-conditioning and private bathrooms with shower."

I am satisfied that this small group, less than 5%, will have little impact on my enjoyment, therefore paid my Final Payment.

Edited by The Tsar

The only time we've ever been affected by a group on board was on a RCCL cruise that had a BIG group of shag dancers.

It wasn't that their scheduled dance activities took up any public areas but that because so many of them knew each other there were large groups of them congregating in the bars and pool areas which made it difficult to find seating for others. If you did find a seat, it was difficult to carry on a conversation because the groups were so loud (big groups where everyone knows each other and have had a few cocktails can get that way - no judgment ... just an observation :D )

We spent a lot of time on our verandah :D

I'm a member of the Social Security set and always ask for 8 P.M. dining. ;) Not every senior goes for the early bird special. :D

We also are Late seating Diners! :) We eat around 8: P.M. at home too, unless the kids are here.. Then we must dine around 6:30 to 7..

I actually dislike early-bird dining..:eek:

Thanks to all for the information---especially to Essiesmom and The Tsar. I am familiar with Elderhostel, so knowing this is the same group is a relief! Also appreciate all the timing schedule, etc, Mr Tsar!

This was what came to mind when I saw the name. Wasn't Bill Clinton a part of this group?

I was thinking Kris Kristofferson. I seem to remember him saying one time that it was hard to be a Rhodes Scholar and write country music (i.e. Bobby McGee and I).

Trish

Back 1984 I was Ch. Off. in the little cruise ship VERA CRUZ.... aka VERA CRUD or VERY CRUDE!

We had a full charter for the ship... 750 passengers all Mormons. Church services all day long in the main lounge. No alcohol allowed anywhere in dining room or bars.... even the booze had to be stowed away and not even seen. Disaster for the bar tenders! Quiet cruise.

Yes, Bill Clinton is a Rhodes scholar - he studied in Oxford during his scholarship - the guide on our walking tour of Oxford town and university pointed where he had lived .

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

I seem to remember him saying one time that it was hard to be a Rhodes Scholar and write country music (i.e. Bobby McGee and I).

Being a scholar, of course he didn't write "... good enough for Bobby McGee and I", because that would have been incorrect grammar.