MDR Seating question??

VacaLovers2

It all depends on how many people are in your party. This will start the process by establishing the size of table you need. Tables from 2 - 10 are available throughout the MDR, so the actual location is probably determined randomly by a computer program. You can always ask the Maitre D to move your group to a different area if you like. This is easily done the day of arrival. There will be a place to talk to him listed in the "newsletter" in your stateroom. It is usually before the muster drill though. They can also make accommodations later in the cruise if you find your section is too loud, etc. Don't expect to be moved to a window seat though. Unless you are in the unassigned Anytime Dining area, these will be gone and the people who got them will not give them up. :) Best of luck on getting what you want!

On our recent cruise on the Breeze, we had 7 in our party. I thought we would be seated at a 8 top table (4 on each side), but instead we were seated at a large round table with 2 other couples for a total of 11.

We have had anywhere from an 8 top down to a 2 top when just my wife and I travel. We have also had just a table for our group (usually 6 to 10 people), to tables combined with other guests like I described above.

Like SandInMyShoes mentioned, it must be done by computer program. Maybe even taking into considerations like age, occupation, etc., because many times when we are seated with other couples, it seems like we find connections we have in similar.

Edited by HawkIVette

One of the reasons we went to anytime dining was that in our case, there seemed to be no rhyme or reason why we were seated with the others at our tables. This was the case on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean. We are a 'middle' aged couple traveling alone. Every time we were seated with families with children ranging in age from 3 to 11. Love kids, have some of our own, but did not enjoy having everything from tears to French fries on the floor, to a know-it-all young man who monopolized the table conversation to the delight of his mother. As soon as anytime dining became available, we jumped on it. Thankfully, there are plenty of other places to get to know our fellow passengers.

It is a mystery to me as well, but we have found they do a decent job of it MOST of the time. My 27 year old daughter and I travel together. Most cruises, we are seated at a large table with other Mother/daughter pairs, or other single women... sometimes we have been sat with unmarried couples of various ages and other single women. I like the mix of ages and sexes, but interestingly, we have never been sat with a young child at the table.

We have also been sat by ourselves (at a 2 top) and quickly asked if we could be sat with a group. We have only had one bad match in 20 plus cruises.... we asked to be moved and were. No problem.

We've NEVER had "bad" table mates! Sure...some are more "fun" than others, but we've ALWAYS gotten along...and had a good time!

When folks complain about their table mates, I think it's more THEIR problem than the table mate's problem!

We've been seated with those younger and those older....we've managed will all...everyone has something to "bring to the table", so to speak!!

We like table mates! I don't know how they "match" you, but they do a decent job!

Edited by cb at sea

Interestingly enough about 2 years ago wife and I were seated at a 4 top in the MDR. Never had that before. Worried weather the other couple would be compatible. Soon a couple came walking up, guy about my age with grey hair and a ponytail wearing a button up Harley shirt and his wife had a Harley top and high heels. Holy s#@t it was actually like looking in a mirror. The waiter was even astonished. Had a great time. They may use a computer but that was quite a coincidence.

Sent from my QMV7A using Forums mobile app