Stormy weather!

hardydog

Will be sailing on the Queen Elizabeth this Saturday (10th Jan). Trans Atlantic to New York then on to Fort Lauderdale. Weather forecast looks frightening. Anyone done this crossing in these conditions. Google weather for Saturday and Sunday are gale 8 to 9 rising to storm 10 with high/ rough sea. I am quite a good 'sailor' but not been out in this sort of weather . Hardydog

Will be sailing on the Queen Elizabeth this Saturday (10th Jan). Trans Atlantic to New York then on to Fort Lauderdale. Weather forecast looks frightening. Anyone done this crossing in these conditions. Google weather for Saturday and Sunday are gale 8 to 9 rising to storm 10 with high/ rough sea. I am quite a good 'sailor' but not been out in this sort of weather . Hardydog

Travelled a few years ago on the QM2 and we had a force 9. Very rough, captain took a detour and it lasted about three days. We are with you on the QE, sea sickness tabs at the ready, and hope you like rocking and rolling lol we first have to fly from Yorkshire on Friday, fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will say only that the Queen ELizabeth, although a splendid ship which I enjoyed considerably, is a cruise ship - not an ocean liner. I have encountered some heavy seas and periods of stormy weather on several crossings, but they have always been on a real liner including, of course, the QM2. Those liners bounced a fair bit, but I was always glad I was not on a cruise ship.

Edited by david,Mississauga
typo

Have only done a transatlantic on QM2 which even in a storm felt relatively OK. The QE definitely rolled a bit on the BOB the other year although wasn't that bad. But looking at the Atlantic forecast I think you will miss the worst of it as you will be taking a more southerly route than the worst of the weather. The Captain will always try and avoid the worst of the weather by deviating a bit.

Might still be fairly lively though!

Hope you have a good time despite the weather.

Edited by Mysticalmother

We did this same voyage last winter and encountered similar conditions. Captain detoured south to avoid the worst of the weather. Winds kept the boat keeled over quite a bit and it was not possible to even budge our balcony door, the winds were just too strong. All that being said we made it to NY on time and no worse for wear. Have a great trip.:)

\

Hi Hardydog. Yes, it does look like you're in for a bit of weather - even worse up North. If deemed necessary, the ship may stay in safe harbor and put petal to the metal once the weather clears. Best wishes, Cousins. Batten down the hatches!

Salacia

Je Suis Charlie

Go to: http://www.oceanweather.com/data/ and note wave heights.

I've done off season TAs on only QE2 and QM2, and experienced up to force 12 on both. QM2, of course, handles it better than QE2 due to its size. As to a cruise ship like QE or QV, unless you have your sea legs or stomach, patches, pills, bands, or all three are in order.

Rock 'n roll baby! I love it, but most will not.:eek:

WAVE000.GIF

I sailed on the Queen Elizabeth from NY to Southampton, eight days , in March.

We sailed between 2 lows and got some seas around 16ft. The ship handled very well. Its a strong ship , and I heard the hull is reinforced with extra steel for TransAtlantic .

I think you will enjoy the crossing.

Received today:

Dear andhow,

I hope you are looking forward to joining us on Queen Elizabeth on Saturday.

We have been monitoring the bad weather which is approaching the UK at the moment. At this point we believe that to ensure safe arrival and docking unfortunately Queen Elizabeth will be delayed arriving into Southampton until Saturday afternoon.

We are in the process of making contingency plans for her turnaround that mean we are likely to have to delay embarkation by between five and seven hours.

As the situation is still changing we have yet to make a firm decision on her arrival time but I wanted to give you early notice of this delay so that you can make changes to your travel plans accordingly. By lunchtime tomorrow (Friday) we will contact you again with an update. We will also be keeping our website updated regarding the situation here as well as our Facebook and Twitter accounts.

I am sorry for having to give you this news and I will be back in touch with you tomorrow with the latest information.

Yours sincerely

Angus Struthers

Director, Cunard Line

Received today:

Dear andhow,

I hope you are looking forward to joining us on Queen Elizabeth on Saturday.

We have been monitoring the bad weather which is approaching the UK at the moment. At this point we believe that to ensure safe arrival and docking unfortunately Queen Elizabeth will be delayed arriving into Southampton until Saturday afternoon.

We are in the process of making contingency plans for her turnaround that mean we are likely to have to delay embarkation by between five and seven hours.

As the situation is still changing we have yet to make a firm decision on her arrival time but I wanted to give you early notice of this delay so that you can make changes to your travel plans accordingly. By lunchtime tomorrow (Friday) we will contact you again with an update. We will also be keeping our website updated regarding the situation here as well as our Facebook and Twitter accounts.

I am sorry for having to give you this news and I will be back in touch with you tomorrow with the latest information.

Yours sincerely

Angus Struthers

Director, Cunard Line

Thanks, andhow, that's interesting. If there's any change, I guess QM2's schedule will be somehow coordinated with QE's schedule since it's likely some passengers will be transferring from one ship to the other. (As of right now, both ships are scheduled to depart Southampton at 18:00 on Saturday, according to http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Planned_Movements/

And good luck also to QV - she's scheduled to be in Hamburg on Saturday. -S.

We are heading back to Southampton on QE, so currently awaiting updates! Weather forecast suggests we will be late! QV happily in dry dock in Hamburg and won't be moving for a week or so! Sure Mary will be held for transferring passengers! Obviously issues for us passengers holding train and air tickets but I love this ship and don't want to get off :)

The ship is in fantastic condition and I'm sure I could manage a lunch on board. No mention yet of any OBC to soften the blow to those passengers who's plans are difficult and costly to rearrange.

Not sure what Cunard's policy is in this situation with regards to costs attributing to rescheduling arrival connections. Anyone have any idea?

I'm sure there is currently a huge queue at the Pursers office and I have more import things to do (finishing my large glass of red in Commodore, while looking down the Elbe) oh and writing on this forum ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just seen on facebook that the QE shall be docking in the afternoon on Saturday due to the heavy storms it is facing on its return to Southampton. It has been confirmed on the Cunard Facebook Official Page.

Have a pleasant trip, I hope you get on OK just remember those tablets!!

Hardydog, I envy you. We did the January transatlantic crossing on the Elizabeth last year, and only encountered force 9 conditions, lasting for several days after departing So'ton.:D There was a massive storm centered around Iceland; Captain Wells attempted to avoid the worst of it by steering us on a southwesterly course toward the Azores before turning westward toward New York. He also slowed the ship considerably; however, we arrived in NYC right on schedule.

These videos from that voyage may give you some idea of what to expect:

Bon voyage!

By Now you may have seen this:

For our guests due to join Queen Elizabeth on Saturday

We have been monitoring the bad weather which is approaching the UK at the moment. At this point we believe that to ensure safe arrival and docking, unfortunately Queen Elizabeth will be delayed arriving into Southampton until Saturday afternoon.

For those guests sailing on Queen Mary 2, please proceed as planned.

For more information please visit the below page, which will be kept updated over the next few days;

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/latest_news/QE_RWC_Arrival

On board Queen Elizabeth now. Have been informed to expect arrival at Southampton between 1pm and 3pm Saturday. They are laying on a full entertainment programme for us on Saturday morning. Who knows what sort of rocking and rolling we're in for :eek:

On board Queen Elizabeth now. Have been informed to expect arrival at Southampton between 1pm and 3pm Saturday. They are laying on a full entertainment programme for us on Saturday morning. Who knows what sort of rocking and rolling we're in for :eek:

Sounds like we won't be sailing until the wee hours of the morning on Sunday if you don't arrive back until then. It takes some time to bring on supplies for a World Voyage.

Enjoy your extra tine onboard.

For the December 2013 Christmas cruise departing 22nd, the weather was so extreme that boarding became impossible and was suspended for 3-4 hours. A lot of very unhappy people the first evening sailing into ferocious seas.

I hope this does not happen to all who are due to depart Saturday, especially after the QE's late arrival.

Enjoy your world voyage!

Captain Wells attempted to avoid the worst of it by steering us on a southwesterly course toward the Azores before turning westward toward New York. He also slowed the ship considerably; however, we arrived in NYC right on schedule.

Bon voyage!

With the greatest of respect:

1. Captain wells not only attempted but perhaps SUCESSFULLY avoided the worst of the weather.

2. We actually arrived LATE into New York which was great because we were in virtual daylight as we arrived into Manhattan.

The weather is really picking up here, almost blowing away everything with hale and lightning. QE seems to be rather in time and having got past the first bad bit. How is it onboard? Have a safe trip.