Norwegian Gem

kbartges

I am new to Norwegian Cruise Line. I am a diamond member on RCCL. Looking to take the Gem out of New York In April. Any suggestions on inexpensive parking of a hotel that will keep your car while on a cruise?

You are better off checking the NY departure boards but that does not exist to my knowledge. We live 15 minutes from the port in NJ. I would stay at a hotel in NJ like Homewood Suites in Edgewater NJ right on the Hudson River. Park at the Ferry in Weehawken NJ (NY Waterways 5 minutes from the hotel) very inexpensive to park and take the ferry (7 minute ride) to the NYC side. No hotel in this area allows you to leave a car.

The Gem is a great ship :)

I second the advice to ask over on the East Coast departures board. However, this topic is often discussed there, and I'm virtually certain you won't find any sort of thing like this in Manhattan, as noted in the comment above. (Just parking a car for one night in a midtown hotel while you are staying there is usually on the order of $40-50.)

There are, as noted above, some alternatives to bringing your car into the city and parking at the pier, but for convenience, particularly if you have a typical amount of luggage, you can't beat parking right next to the ship. Yes, it's pricey, but you'll be in your car two minutes after you clear customs/immigration, and you won't be schlepping your bags on a ferry or anything else.

Enjoy your cruise!

I too live about 15 min from NYC - when we cruised last we took ferry and walked about 3-4 blocks with luggage - was no problem at all. That's what we are going to do for upcoming cruise.

Manhattan is way too expensive to park car. Sometimes you can find hotel in NJ that lets u park free while cruising if you stay there for a night. Check hotel in Edgewater, Hasbrouck Heights and I think Jersey City. If not - i would definitely do NY Waterway

I have debated all these options myself, as I cruised twice from NYC last year. The first time, where it was only myself and my bf, we chose to use the bus company through NCL. Coming from Massachusetts, it was $60 per person round trip, dropping us of right at the pier. The rides a bit long but couldn't beat the convenience and price.

The second time, with 3 kids in tow, we chose to drive in the morning of departure and park at the cruise terminal. Although price would have been comparable with 5 bus transfers, we felt it was super easy to just load up and go. Parking at the dock couldn't be easier.

Next time it's just the two of us, we will opt with the bus, again. Not sure where you are coming from or with how many, but its something worth looking into.