Radiance....Alaska ....18 year old

tdk

This will be our sons first trip to Alaska and the first cruise now being 18. He loves to cruise and has always had a good time meeting other kids. This time will be different because there won't be a teen room or organized group where they get to all meet the first day. He is worried he will be bored ....any suggestions or experience with you young adult.

Have you joined your roll call and asked this question? There is usually a lot of chatter about kids, older teens and how they can connect. If you can find someone ahead and they can connect, it might be helpful! Enjoy!

This will be our sons first trip to Alaska and the first cruise now being 18. He loves to cruise and has always had a good time meeting other kids. This time will be different because there won't be a teen room or organized group where they get to all meet the first day. He is worried he will be bored ....any suggestions or experience with you young adult.

Guess it depends on how mature he is. At that age life is changing quickly. Pretty sure he would not enjoy the younger activities anyway even if allowed. Time to focus on other activities or still too soon? Good luck.

Have you joined your roll call and asked this question? There is usually a lot of chatter about kids, older teens and how they can connect. If you can find someone ahead and they can connect, it might be helpful! Enjoy!

Thank you ... I have so I will ask on there

He's 18 and now an adult although he can't drink until 21; but he can do everything else. It's now time he find and make his own fun. Yes, that 18-20 is difficult age, but being bore on a cruise ship is not one of them. There is a ship's newsletter with activities from morning until late at night. He can look look over the activities and find something he might enjoy. Get him to get out of this comfort zone and try something new. Yes, that is what a parent is suppose to do. Otherwise, he can go to the gym, pool, sport deck or just watch a movie or read a book. I'm sure there will be other teens and hopefully he can connect and do what teens do and just hang out. He shouldn't worry about something that might or might not happen. Alaska is a very port intensive cruise so I'm sure you all will be very busy sightseeing on port days. Just viewing the beauty and wildlife of Alaska is entertainment in itself. Anyway, you will only have 1 or 2 at sea days. I was 19 when my mother took me on my first cruise and I was so excited and I can't remember ever being bored. I had such a good time I talked her into going again the next year. :)

We sailed Radiance in Alaska in 2013, and I don't think you (or he) have anything to worry about.

In our opinion, that cruise was not like a "regular" cruise, with emphasis on shipboard activities and entertainment. To us, it was very "outward-focused", if that makes sense. Our cruise was over the summer solstice, so especially at the start of the cruise (we were southbound, Seward to Vancouver), it never got completely dark. There is always beautiful scenery to observe and wildlife to spot, even in the evenings.

The ports are so fascinating, with lots of active excursions or just hiking around. The times in port for the one-way cruises tend to be long, which is great, but that means less time on the ship to need to be entertained.

Even meals were more relaxed, with almost no dress code in the MDR. Think lots of jeans and fleece -- people just came in whatever they were in that day.

We were blessed with amazing weather, 80s in Anchorage pre-cruise, and 60s and 70s for the entire cruise. We walked around the Yukon in t-shirts. Even if you are not that fortunate, just bring waterproof and warm layers and get out there. The natural beauty is stunning.

My blog about that trip is linked in my signature, if you are interested.

Have fun!