BOOKED! confirmed...then bumped

vitello76

I don't know what to do, I need some advice...I found a phenomenal deal for a cruise to Alaska next year with Norwegian. I booked through Unitedcruise.com because I'm fly a lot a have a good standing with their frequent flyer program. After booking, I printed out my records (my itinerary notes "purchased") and later received a confirmation email with all the correct info and verification. Everything was booked and processed as normal.

Then, a day later, I get an email saying "we're sorry, that rate is not available" and suggest I can book the cruise at a higher fare.

I feel like I got a bait-and-switch, but when I called united cruises, the operator tells me that it was a processing error by the computer and it shouldn’t have let me book this cruise at that rate. Ok, so it was an error, I understand that now...but not mine. I believe that they should honor the rate I booked at (given that they've sent me confirmation and everything), but I have no idea what to do. They tell me they can't do anything.

Thoughts?

I'm severely disappointed so far with united cruises.:(

I am not an attorney, but it seems to me that their email confirmation would constitute a "contract" (offer + acceptance = contract) and that they have breached that contract with you. If it happened to me, I would ask a lawyer what they would charge to handle the matter on my behalf, and then make a decision if it was worth pursuing.

I seem to recall a problem once with incredible airfare rates offered on the web to Hawaii I think.

People snatched up the tickets, they (airline) found out it was a problem but had to honor the tickets anyway. If the deal was that incredible, it might be worth fighting over - to a point.

I would read the terms and conditions on United's web page to see what you can find out.

I seem to recall a problem once with incredible airfare rates offered on the web to Hawaii I think.

People snatched up the tickets, they (airline) found out it was a problem but had to honor the tickets anyway. If the deal was that incredible, it might be worth fighting over - to a point.

I would read the terms and conditions on United's web page to see what you can find out.

I recall this with U.S.Airways. They mistakenly posted $0.99 fares to MANY cities instead of $99.00 and then honored the $0.99 fares.

Unless there are terms within the email confirmation i would think they should honor the fare. Have you talked to anyone but the rep. who answers the phone? Try calling agin and going up the supevisory ladder. If they can get people to back down and cancel by a peon saying "no" they can save a lot of money they would lose if they honor their mistake.

Just this past June we went to out TA and booked Alaskan cruises for next year. Our TA got confirmation back from HAL within a few minutes. About 2 weeks later HAL called our TA and said that each of our cruises went up $500 per person. She called a supervisor at HAL and going rounds for a couple of days, we got the price that was confirmed originally.

I do remember that incident with US Airways. It was all over th newspapers and TV here in western PA.

I am currently in Watertown, NY on one of the $1.86 US Airways fares. $74.39 RT PHX to LGA is not a bad price. However, there DEFINITELY was a catch to the US fares. They were available to/from many cities, but they all ended or began in Watertown NY, Lebanon, NH, or Ashville, NC. So I had to fly PHX/PIT/Watertown (ticket 1)-Watertown/PIT/LGA (ticket 2) to get from PHX to NYC. Not the easiest way to get to NYC, but I sure am accumulating miles.

To address the OP's question: I have been the recipient of many fare "mistakes" $61.00 to Iceland last year, $51 to Fiji in June. But I have booked and been refused just 2 weeks ago a trip to Bali for $247.00.

It really depends on who did the booking. The US Airways deal was mostly booked on US Airways website and was honored by US Airways. However, people who booked the US Airways deal on Expedia DID NOT get their tickets. The Fiji deal was booked through Travelocity and Travelocity stepped up to the plate and honored all the Fiji tickets. The Bali deal was through Asian Holidays, which is the travel agent arm of Singapore Airlines. Asian Holidays absolutely REFUSED to honor their mistake, even for high level status flyers of Singapore Airlines.

You will need to escalate your issue WAY above the CSR on the phone. You state you have status on UA, then get the status desk involved. This will definitely be a battle. If United cruises doesn't want to budge or make the arrangements with NCL for the discount, an attorney may be your only hope. And I guarantee an attorney will probably cost more than the entire cruise, at the regular price.

There is not a lot of definitive law in the area of "mistakes" on the internet. And quite a few travel suppliers and airlines have included some obscure language about changing fares that were mistakes to begin with. You really are at the mercy of the travel supplier. Good luck and let us know how it all works out, please.

I know in internet shopping for goods, it is not uncommon to see orders cancelled because of pricing mistakes. However, reputable companies usually do honor their mistakes. It may well just come down to how much time and energy you want to invest in getting your original price.

So though I didn't mention it in the earlier thread, I'm getting married in 5 days...and I've run out of energy to expend on this. i was hoping that i could give the cruise to Betsy as a one year engagement present (tickets make a nice paper anniversary gift, no?)...but it's not going to happen this time.

After writing a serious letter to Robert Krtizman, Andrew Stuart and Mark Warren at NCL, and recieving no response, I tried to take it up with Unitedcruises again. They are IN NO WAY associated to United, unfortunately. They just live under the same umbrella, but I can't leverage being a Premier with them.

Needless to say, I've never been more dissapointed in United and will not give future business to Unitedcruises.

After weeks of run around...it's come down to this. Alebit, I'm very dissapointed with Unitedcruises. Here's the letter they sent me:

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you; however our decision must remain that if you wish to continue with this booking that you will need to purchase this at today’s fare. I have included below an insert from the Terms and Conditions that can be found on the website.

Prices and Availability

All fares (including but not limited to taxes, services charges, handling fees, port charges and government fees), itineraries, availability, promotions and special offers were considered correct at the time of input into this system, but are subject to change and/or alteration at anytime prior to booking confirmation by the cruise line or other supplier. In addition, all Suppliers retain certain rights to increase fares (including but not limited to taxes, services charges, handling fees, port charges and government fees), modify itineraries, change availability, and change and/or discontinue promotions and/or special offers, at anytime for any reason. Any increase in price imposed by the cruise line or other supplier for any reason will be passed on to the customer and the customer agrees to any such increase. The Companies retain the right to correct data entry and/or printing errors.

You can also reference the email that was sent to you where it does state that the email you received is a confirmation that we received your booking and that it is pending cruise line acceptance. The below paragraph is pulled from your email confirmation.

• Your cruise reservation has been created and is pending credit card authorization from your credit card provider. We have generated this confirmation in order to confirm receipt of your booking. Please note, however, that your booking is still subject to cancellation unless payment is processed and successfully received by the cruise line. If your credit card is declined for any reason, and your cruise reservation cancelled due to lack of payment, you will be responsible for any rebooking fees as imposed by the cruise line including possible cabin number, dining and category changes. If your sailing is within the next 45 days, please confirm your booking and payment with reservations@cruise4miles.com on receipt of this email.

Again, I do apologize for the inconvenience and we do hope that you will continue to allow us to assist you with the booking of your choice.

Sincerely,

Sarah Reiland

Supervisor

United Cruises

I am really sorry for your problem. Obviously, United did not step up to the plate. I don't know who told you they weren't related, but this is taken from their website. Their website even contradicts, stating "part of", "division of" and then states it is "official travel PARTNER". No wonder they are in bankruptcy. They are having a hard time figuring out what parts of the company they own and which parts are "PARTNERS". LOL!!

Welcome to United Cruises, a part of United Loyalty Services, a division of United Airlines. United Cruises is an official United travel partner offering United Mileage Plus® customers the opportunity to redeem miles to purchase cruise vacations, or earn miles for taking a cruise.

I know that your time is short, but I would still pursue this after your wedding. Their email confirmation states "RESERVATION". And that they were waiting for credit card payment to be authorized or your "RESERVATION" would be cancelled.

If nothing else, file in small claims court for the value of the cruise. Keep all your original paperwork. That gets a little touchy with jurisdiction on an internet purchase, but it is worth a try. And if they didn't bill your credit card, you may have a hard time proving this is a valid contract. But they are trying to hold you to "contract of carriage" regulations, so that is the quid pro quo. Won't cost much to file and will sure make you feel better. Since it would cost quite a bit for someone? to defend this lawsuit, I would almost guess that you would get a coupon for a LARGE discount, somewhere equivalent to what you would have paid initially. Their books would be straight and you would get your cruise.

Enjoy the wedding!!!!

Archived