Miami Marathon?

JZenkow

I am leaving on Carnival Splendor. Jan 25, the day of the Marathon. I hope to get to the port around 11 am or so. Will I run into any problems, like blocked streets or anything that could cause a delay? I know Marathon starts around 6:30 am or so. Thanks

We had an experience last year as our cruise arrived back in Miami on the day of the marathon...what a mess. Roads were closed and no vehicles could get in or out of the port area for over an hour. However, I am not sure if they change the marathon route every year or not. Also, the new tunnel is open to the port area now and therefore it might not be affected. I would suggest checking to see the route they are using this year and then plan accordingly.

We had an experience last year as our cruise arrived back in Miami on the day of the marathon...what a mess. Roads were closed and no vehicles could get in or out of the port area for over an hour. However, I am not sure if they change the marathon route every year or not. Also, the new tunnel is open to the port area now and therefore it might not be affected. I would suggest checking to see the route they are using this year and then plan accordingly.

We were on the 8 day cruise on the Epic last year - came back on the day of the marathon. The traffic at the port was just crazy - at first no vehicles were coming in or leaving. After at least an hour wait a few shuttle/taxis came through. People were waving money at the drivers trying to get them to stop. Unfortunately for us no transportation companies were going downtown and we were staying one night post cruise at the Hotel Urbano. After at least a 2 hour wait, probably longer, the port personnel "loading" the vehicles felt sorry for us and let a taxi driver who had dropped cruisers off take us. He told us he was not normally allowed to pick up at the port - nice guy who got us to where we needed to go.

LOL when we decided to book a last minute cruise on the Getaway this month the first thing I did was check the marathon date. Not doing that again :)

You should be ok! We had a cruise the same day as the Miami Marathon in 2013 and we arrived at the port around 10:45 and didn't have an issue at all. We stayed at the Holiday inn port of Miami and took a taxi over. There was a decent amount of traffic but the taxi driver seemed to know the right way to go to avoid it.

It only took us about 5 minutes to get there. Our biggest issue in dealing with the marathon was finding a hotel, the day of the cruise went completely fine.

There shouldn't be a problem that day for anyone traveling to/from anywhere but downtown Miami because Miami opened their new Port of Miami tunnel in August. It links the MacArthur Causeway to the Port and allows vehicle traffic to avoid the streets of downtown altogether in getting to/from the port. So now it is all highway to the Port whereas in the past vehicles had to use downtown streets to reach the pier. We took a shuttle between FLL and the Port of Miami in October and it was all highway both ways, a breeze compared to what it used to be.

We'll be disembarking at the Port on Jan 25th and I don't expect any issues getting to our early flight out.