Murano question

SOShrink

With regards to the Venice and Gems of Italy trip (Uniworld), it seems that on the day of arrival they offer a "private boat ride" to Veneziane alla Giudecca which is a glass blowing factory/showroom in Murano. As some of you know, I am a major proponent of this cruise. However, I wouldn't want to spend my first day at a sales presentation. It does sound like a convenient way to get directly to Murano, and we can always explore the island on our own and even return on our own. And I understand that you can take the a vaporetto from Murano to Burano to see the lace and painted houses. I just wish Uniworld's would include this. I'm also wondering how often they leave since passengers will be arriving all day long. I imagine the store probably provides the transportation and Uniworld is organizing this a courtesy so I'm not complaining. I was just wondering if anyone has actually done this.

My husband and I were on the Venice and Gems of Northern Italy in October 2014. It was a wonderful trip. Our itinerary also stated that on our arrival day we would have the option of going on a water taxi to the glass factory. This was not offered on the day we arrived, but we took the tour the following day. It was the one negative experience of the whole week. Our cruise director warned us that it was basically a 5 minute demonstration of glass blowing, and the remainder of time was a sales pitch, followed by the opportunity to shop. The best part of the excursion was the boat ride to the island (I don't think the factory is located on Murano, but they do claim to have Murano glass). Once there, the only place to go was the sales room. I thought most items were way overpriced, and when we had a chance to shop the streets of Venice, this was confirmed. Go for the boat ride, not the destination!

Uniworld provides a wonderful week to explore this part of Italy, and although it is not a true river cruise, we loved our experience.

Last year my husband I were in Venice for 3 days before a Princess cruise and our Hotel had a free boat ride to the glass blowing factory. W#hat a huge waste of time. High pressure sales from the time you arrive until you leave. We had about an 8 minute demo and then straight into the sales pitch. VERY uncomfortable, I definitely would't recommend

Cheers

Thanks for the words of encouragement about the trip, Babcia7! I think we'll take a vaporetto to Murano and Burano so there is no sales pitch and we can enjoy walking around those quaint towns on our own...

That is exactly what we did. we purchased a 24 hour vaporetto pass and used he heck out of it. We went to Burano, saw some lace making, had lunch, then went to Murano for a glassblowing demo.

We then took tour of the lagoon on another vaporetto, got to the Piazale Roma and took the #1 down the Grand Canal.

We ended up at the Rua Schiavoni having a cappuccino at sunset, watching the sun set through the windows of the Santa Maria della Sulate

That is exactly what we did. we purchased a 24 hour vaporetto pass and used he heck out of it. We went to Burano, saw some lace making, had lunch, then went to Murano for a glassblowing demo.

We then took tour of the lagoon on another vaporetto, got to the Piazale Roma and took the #1 down the Grand Canal.

We ended up at the Rua Schiavoni having a cappuccino at sunset, watching the sun set through the windows of the Santa Maria della Sulate

That's pretty much what we did - we had 3 days in Venice following a Black Sea (ocean) cruise a couple years ago - knew we wanted to wander around on foot mostly, but there were some things we wanted to do via vaporetto, so we got a 24hr pass and planned all of our boat trips within that time frame, then walked the rest of the time. Worked great for us!