Why don't all the cruiselines do "X"?

westcoasttech

I like that each line has it's own flavor, but if I'm understanding your post correctly, you're asking what "basic" amenity should they all have? I too would like an extra outlet on a desk/shelf/counter in each cabin for all the chargers we seem to travel with these days.

I'm guessing most who have sailed on multiple lines on multiple classes of ships have said something to the effect of, "I wish the (amenity) on (ship/cruiseline) was on this boat" at one time or another. I don't want them all to be the same. The things I'm talking about are the "nice touch amenities" that make you remember a particular ship/class/line. I liked the big open closet area/long closet rod in our cabin on the Ruby Princess. I think the beds are more comfortable on HAL than any other line. I like Blu on Celebrity a lot. I thought MUTS (movie under the stars) was a really nice way to finish an evening on Princess. I like the Elemis bath products on HAL. I miss having a promenade deck/walk while on Celebrity. I've often thought that if Celebrity had a private island they'd become our go to cruise line for our warm weather cruises. Half Moon Cay and Princess Cay have been among my favorite beach stops in the Caribbean.

Each line offers us something different, and we pick and choose accordingly. Our next cruise is sea day intensive. I'm looking forward to sitting on our balcony, watching the world go by.

Promenade Deck! Didn't realise how much I would miss it when we sailed on Celebrity and will miss it on the Solstice in a few weeks. Got one on the Diamond Princess in October but still not a 'true' wide Promenade Deck. Our P&O cruise in 2016 is on a refurbished HAL ship, so YAY have a proper Promenade Deck again, only 15 months to wait :D

Realistically though, self serve laundries (eg Princess) or reasonably priced unlimited laundry (HAL). Good storage. Comfortable bedding. No shower curtains. Good sized bedside cupboards (Celebrity I am talking about you, yours are teeny). Adults only areas at no extra cost when cruising on a line that has larger groups of children. Plenty of outdoor seating, eg chairs and tables, not just acres of loungers (some of us prefer not to lounge).

If cruise lines all got the basics right, then we could settle back and enjoy things that do make them different, eg Entertainment, Decor, Amenities, etc.

Promenade Deck! Didn't realise how much I would miss it when we sailed on Celebrity and will miss it on the Solstice in a few weeks. Got one on the Diamond Princess in October but still not a 'true' wide Promenade Deck. Our P&O cruise in 2016 is on a refurbished HAL ship, so YAY have a proper Promenade Deck again, only 15 months to wait :D

Realistically though, self serve laundries (eg Princess) or reasonably priced unlimited laundry (HAL). Good storage. Comfortable bedding. No shower curtains. Good sized bedside cupboards (Celebrity I am talking about you, yours are teeny). Adults only areas at no extra cost when cruising on a line that has larger groups of children. Plenty of outdoor seating, eg chairs and tables, not just acres of loungers (some of us prefer not to lounge).

If cruise lines all got the basics right, then we could settle back and enjoy things that do make them different, eg Entertainment, Decor, Amenities, etc.

Too right about Celebrity bed side thingy [can't call a cupboard or chest].

More seating full stop, maybe some benches on the deck areas and more scattered around the ship, but I have a problem walking long distances and sitting on loungers.

Getting the basics right must however be hard as everyone thinks the basics are something different, I've seen some threads saying "Why have laundries" [but I get the impression most of those do shorter cruises 14 days and less.]

Although a bit of a thread hijack, all the posts mentioning the lack of self serve laundry facilities reminded me of something. I've read many posts about clothes being ruined by ship's laundry. I've taken behind the scenes tours on ships and seen the laundry equipment used. I don't think the clothes sent out get the same gentle treatment as they do when you're washing them at home.

On all previous cruises, I've washed out clothes in a sink, rung them out, rolled them in towel to get out more of the water, and hung to dry. It's always dry by morning. We pack pretty light, so a little wash every other day keeps us in clean clothes. The stuff we wear to dinner each night only gets worn for an hour or two, so it rarely needs washing.

A couple months ago, I saw an ad for something called The Scrubba Wash Bag. I bought one and have used it a few times. It works great. No more hand washing. For those on longer cruises, for those who don't have access to self serve laundry facilities, or for those who don't want to pay the fees for laundry service, The Scrubba is a very nice piece of kit. Google it. There are Youtube videos showing how it works. It's a little expensive for what it is, but it beats handwashing.

I don't think I'd want to wash jeans in it, but socks, underwear, t-shirts, shorts, and long sleeved shirts have all come out clean, and I think cleaner than when I hand wash them in a sink. Although I haven't tried lightweight pants in it yet, I'm sure they'd come out fine as well.

I have no financial interest in this product, but when I find something new and innovative that works as advertised, I like to spread the word.

Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Although a bit of a thread hijack, all the posts mentioning the lack of self serve laundry facilities reminded me of something. I've read many posts about clothes being ruined by ship's laundry. I've taken behind the scenes tours on ships and seen the laundry equipment used. I don't think the clothes sent out get the same gentle treatment as they do when you're washing them at home.

On all previous cruises, I've washed out clothes in a sink, rung them out, rolled them in towel to get out more of the water, and hung to dry. It's always dry by morning. We pack pretty light, so a little wash every other day keeps us in clean clothes. The stuff we wear to dinner each night only gets worn for an hour or two, so it rarely needs washing.

A couple months ago, I saw an ad for something called The Scrubba Wash Bag. I bought one and have used it a few times. It works great. No more hand washing. For those on longer cruises, for those who don't have access to self serve laundry facilities, or for those who don't want to pay the fees for laundry service, The Scrubba is a very nice piece of kit. Google it. There are Youtube videos showing how it works. It's a little expensive for what it is, but it beats handwashing.

I don't think I'd want to wash jeans in it, but socks, underwear, t-shirts, shorts, and long sleeved shirts have all come out clean, and I think cleaner than when I hand wash them in a sink. Although I haven't tried lightweight pants in it yet, I'm sure they'd come out fine as well.

I have no financial interest in this product, but when I find something new and innovative that works as advertised, I like to spread the word.

Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Y

Thank you

I just showed herself, after all me do the washing no way:D

Another great Aussie invention.