Little bit nervous

mfe66

I know this is like beating a dead horse on this forum. But let me start this off. I have vacation time to burn or I will lose it. A cruise seems like my best bet. All my friends can not take vacation for whatever thier case may be. Im 35 from miami and new to the whole cruising scene. Im going to plan a cruise on my own. Is there any cruise lines that cater to single/solo cruisers?? Planning to go later this month or February. Thank you in advance. All the input will be grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there any cruise lines that cater to single/solo cruisers?? Planning to go later this month or February. Thank you in advance. All the input will be grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on what you mean by "cater to" solo passengers......to me, the only line that really caters to solo passengers is Crystal, because they offer very low single supplements and dance hosts to dance with unaccompanied women. Those are the things I value as a solo (female) cruiser. NCL and Royal Caribbean have small, interior solo-only cabins (typically priced higher on a per person basis, so the supplement is built in) and a lounge specifically for solo passengers, but since neither of those are things I want or think are valuable, I don't think they cater to solo passengers.

It depends on what you're looking for. Norwegian has a dedicated singles' area on some of its ships and only offers tiny (in my opinion) studio cabins. I have been looking at Azamara, which is a little expensive to begin with, but offers only a 25% single supplement on many of its cruises. (If a cruise is $1000 per person in a double, it's $1250 for one person) There are people traveling solo on just about every ship, and you can meet them by going to the roll call for your ship on this website. I'm going on a cruise out of Tampa this Saturday and are already in contact with 3 other solos.

I'm a 30 year old woman, not single, but recently did my first solo cruise on the NCL Epic. I agree that it all depends on what one is looking for, but for me, NCL was a great choice. I am probably much younger than most solo cruisers, especially on this site, so some things that are appealing to me are not to them, and vice versa (e.g. the idea of gentlemen hosts horrifies me, + most of them are probably closer to my grandma's age).

I don't want assigned table mates, but I also don't (usually) want to eat alone, so the solo lounge/gathering concept worked great for me. There was always an option to join others for dinner, but it is up to you who you want to join and you're not stuck making small talk with people you have nothing in common with. I know other solos hung out during the day together, too. I prefer to do my own thing then, but that's still an option.

The age spread on my sailing was pretty good, though there was only one other person close to my age; there were more early 20s and then 40+. But we still had fun.

As for the cabin, yes, it is small. It was fine for me, but it may not be for everyone. Note that you don't need to stay in the studio to attend the solo gathering.

LOL! So am I!

(Actually, I'm probably closer to your mother's age, and so are they (50-60 years old)).

And there's nothing wrong with that in general, but some things, like tastes in music, are pretty generation-specific, so I'd rather it be a slightly narrower spread :p

For the OP, I realized that I wasn't very clear in my first reply...Regarding the ages, the majority were 40+, followed by early 20s, with the fewest around my age (late 20s/early 30s).

I know this is like beating a dead horse on this forum. But let me start this off. I have vacation time to burn or I will lose it. A cruise seems like my best bet. All my friends can not take vacation for whatever thier case may be. Im 35 from miami and new to the whole cruising scene. Im going to plan a cruise on my own. Is there any cruise lines that cater to single/solo cruisers?? Planning to go later this month or February. Thank you in advance. All the input will be grateful.

Trust me, you're not beating a dead horse. But it's very hard to know how to help you. I guess first you need to know yourself. Why do you want to take a cruise? Where do you want to go? How much vacation do you have available? How much are you willing to spend? How much luxury/pamerping would you like? Are you willing to fly elsewhere to go where you want to go? Do you have a passport? What kind of cabin do you want? Do you want to dine alone or with strangers? What kind of connection(s) are you willing to make with your fellow passengers? Those are just things I thought of off the top of my head. You don't have to answer them here, but you really should answer them somewhere before you think about booking anything.

I'm going to suggest you head to a travel agent that specializes in cruises. Miami should have a bunch of them. They won't charge you a commission and they can do a better job of picking the perfect vacation for you than we can.