Upgrade potential at port

sprout76

I know it isn't a guarantee, but for those of you who cruise DCL frequently, do you think the concierge cabins typically sell out. We cruise ithe end of April and there are currently 5 V's and 4T's.

11004 is still available and I've heard great things about this cabin. I'd love to upgrade, but don't know if I should press my luck and wait for a cheaper upgrade at the port or to go ahead and do it now. It isn't somet we have to have, but I do think it would be nice.

Either way, we're on a cruise, so life will be good

In years past, the concierge cabins usually sold. More recently there seem to be some remaining on many cruises. Only YOU can determine whether the extra cost is something you want to spend now or whether the upgrade is something you want to chance. Of course by waiting, you'll lose the benefit of the shoreside concierge before the cruise. SOME of what that person could have arranged will be done by the on board person (extra adult dining reservations, any other reservations, etc.)

With your "either way" attitude, I'd probably wait. But again, only you know how much the upgrade matters to you. FYI, upgrades at the port typically cost about 50% of what the upgrade would be now. That is, look at the difference between the category you want and what you have now. For example, if the concierge cabin is 10K and the cat 5 you have now is 6 K, difference is 4K. Expect that at the port, the upgrade will cost about 2K. NOT a hard and fast rule, but an approximation. Use current pricing, not what you paid for your cabin. Prices at the port do vary by availability (number of cabins in each category available) as well as other factors.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thank you for the response. It is such a hard choice. Right now, since it is just two of us in the 5C, it is $3600 more for the V and $6800 more for the T. Right now, the T is out of the question, but I'm contemplating the V.

However, there is that voice in the back of my head that tells me if I wait I could potentially get that V for about $1200 more and the T for about $1900 more. So that is a savings of $2400-4900, which is significant.

It isn't a deal breaker. It would just be fun to do since we vacation so infrequently and to have the additional perks would be nice, but again, not a necessity.

I'll probably just keep watching the cabins. If there are some available the week before we cruise, I know that we'll make sure to be on the first bus out of MCO (staying at Hyatt), check in and then head right over to the upgrade desk and see if there is anything available.

This will probably be our last Disney cruise so I want to make it as memorable as possible.

Unless prices drop, I'd be very surprised to see a $1900 upgrade on the T given the current differential. $3K is a more likely minimum.

Thank you for the response. It is such a hard choice. Right now, since it is just two of us in the 5C, it is $3600 more for the V and $6800 more for the T. Right now, the T is out of the question, but I'm contemplating the V.

However, there is that voice in the back of my head that tells me if I wait I could potentially get that V for about $1200 more and the T for about $1900 more. So that is a savings of $2400-4900, which is significant.

It isn't a deal breaker. It would just be fun to do since we vacation so infrequently and to have the additional perks would be nice, but again, not a necessity.

I'll probably just keep watching the cabins. If there are some available the week before we cruise, I know that we'll make sure to be on the first bus out of MCO (staying at Hyatt), check in and then head right over to the upgrade desk and see if there is anything available.

This will probably be our last Disney cruise so I want to make it as memorable as possible.

Yeah, I guess from the numbers I've seen recently ($1900 being the most) is probably for a family of four,who would obviously be paying more initially than the two of us. Good point. I didn't really think of it from that view. I appreciate the input from you both.

Upgrades are not typically based on number of people in the room. It is a set cost from category X to category Y.

If the current price for you to go to a concierge cat T cabin is $6800, you are not likely to see it for $1900 at the port. I think 3K is also a reasonable estimate. For the V, current cost $3600, I'd guess about $1500-1800 at the port. BUT as noted, it depends on how many they are trying to sell. There are many variables in determining the "at the terminal" prices--not as simple and predictable as it used to be.