Did you ever feel like your head would explode?

CruisinJamma

YES! lol

I went on my first cruise in December and had no idea what to expect, to be honest I wasn't even very excited about it. I did not research going in and ended up having a good time. Now I can not wait to go on another so we are trying to book one in April. I have been doing non stop research the last couple of weeks and I find myself having dreams about cruises at night, haha. I see how people get so into this, it really is a great vacation. It is probably the ONLY vacation where I don't feel like I have to take a break when I get home. I came home completely relaxed.

Years ago I tried to work on an Alaska cruise. At the time, I didn't know anyone that went on one. DH didn't know where in Alaska he wanted to go. I eventually gave up.

Now we are taking an Alaskan cruise in June, thanks to a couple people I know that have recently done it. I am SO excited!! DH finally gets his dream trip, and I get my cruise.....win win

I'm having a lot of fun being hands on with our trip.... researching, watching you tube videos, etc etc.

I understand why you're feeling a little overwhelmed, but it's not worth stressing about. It sounds like you have a good starting point, knowing when you can travel and what region you want to travel to. From there, you need to look at your vacation budget and figure out which cruises are legitimate options. (When looking at your budget, don't forget to factor in travel to and from the departure port, hotel stays before and after the cruise if applicable, daily service charge on the cruise, onboard spending including drinks, speciality dining, spa, phtotos, whatever else you think you might spend money on, excursions, island spending including taxis, lunch, admission fees, souvenirs, tours, etc - there are many threads with good information on budget line items to think about). Once you have narrowed it down to a few cruises that work for the date, itinerary, and budget you have in mind, you can compare cruise lines and make a decision.

If you're feeling a little overwhelmed with all of the cruise tips on this site, my best advice is to take it all with a grain of salt. People here have some AMAZING ideas and great tips, but not all of it will be applicable to you. Please don't feel like you have to pack everything on the packing lists posted here, for example - read them and take a few ideas from them that will work for you rather than feeling like you need to pack everything. You're not going to become different people on a cruise, so you should be able to anticipate your needs. And if you don't have something for your first cruise and later think it would have come in handy, bring it next time. In general, I think that the "bring twice the money, half the stuff" advice is the best advice that anyone posts here. Even if you're on a tight budget, plan some extra money into your vacation budget for the unexpected. On our first crusie, our camera died on the first day - replacing it was $400 we hadn't planned to spend, but SO worth it.

FWIW, we cruised on the NCL Breakaway (sister ship to the Getaway) last year and enjoyed it. The ship is a lot of fun - but big. We liked the size, but some people don't. If you haven't visited any of the islands on the Getaway's itinerary, I'm sure it will be a great first cruise for you. We looked at the same itinerary that you're looking at for April, but decided to go with a Celebrity southern Caribbean cruise this time instead. I'd like to do that cruise on the Getaway at some point, but we'll probably watch it for a good sale, since we've been to those islands before. For this trip, we wanted an itinerary with at least a couple islands we haven't been to before.

Once you have decided on the cruise, don't forget to go on the cruise line's website. You can find out more about the ship you're going on, look on the deck plans, see what you can and can't take on the ship.

As others have said, many here will insist you need to take this and that (duct tape, power strips, over the door storage bags -- all of which we have never taken and never regretted not taking).

Don't worry about filling every moment on the ship or in port with activities -- you can read the daily newsletter and see if there's anything that sparks your interest; if not, you can go by the pool or read a book or whatever relaxes you.

Thank you all for your advice. I'm not concerned with the packing aspect as far as all the lists out there. What I'm having most difficulty with is which cruise line to pick. Until my husband gets the all clear on his requested vacation time, we can't book anything just yet. Therefore, I keep looking at different cruise lines because I can see things on YouTube and even read reviews here and when I think I've got it decided, I see something else and that makes me want to go with a different cruise line. I honestly think I'm making it harder on myself than it should be. As far as ports go, I've never been out of the country, so they all are going to be new for me. Again, same problem with picking the ship. I read and watch videos about different ports and I end up changing my mind. LOL. I have learned a lot here though with regard to all the extras that come into play when cruising - flying in the night before, hotel for the night before, not using the cruise line shuttles, etc. . . . So, I am learning a lot, I just need to really figure out which line to go with. I don't want to be disappointed and have buyer's remorse after clicking the button to purchase. I was almost 100% decided on the Getaway. Well now I'm almost 100% decided on the Carnival Sunshine. Tomorrow I'm sure all be almost 100% decided on something else. Anyway -- thanks everyone for their advice. I do appreciate it!

To the OP,

Don't stress over this!

I took my first cruise with a male friend of mine (still single back then) in 1985. I was 27.

I always wanted to cruise, and he had no problem with it. He had an aunt who was a travel agent, and with me being of Italian descent, she suggested the Costa Riviera sailing out of Fort Lauderdale for a 7 night Eastern Caribbean. This was before Carnival bought Costa.

"Okay, that works", we said, and we booked it. No internet back then.

She gave us brochures, and I saw there would be some "theme" nights, such as a western night and a toga night. We had the clothing for the former, and they gave us sheets for the latter. Otherwise, we just took warm weather clothing and our cameras.

Yes, we even flew in the day of the cruise, got to the ship, and had an OUTSTANDING time!

Ah... the good old days!

I heard of a funny abbreviation recently (it's probably not new to a lot of people) - FOMO - "Fear Of Missing Out". I suffer from this a bit when planning trips. I'm always thinking of new trip ideas even before I take the next trip we have booked and haven't fully planned. The way I see it, there is nothing wrong with having a dream and working towards making it a reality.

The best advice I have ever received about travel is to not plan a trip with the thought of having to do it all because you might never make it to that destination again. Plan to enjoy whatever you fit in this time, thinking if you do go back to that place again you'll have some more to do there. It is the same with choosing which cruise to take. Pick the one that will suit the two of you right now, you may get the chance to try out the other ship or itinerary in the future.

Most of all, enjoy your vacation and making memories together.

I like to attend travel shows hosted by travel agencies or the automobile club. You learn about several different cruise lines .. ports of call .. and the question & answer session. You can ask all the questions you want, or listen to others ask their questions. You normally don't have to book your cruise with them, unless they have some great specials.

Sonnie,

I do the same thing. I think travel shows are fun. Everyone is in a good mood, and it's a chance to get info on several different lines and talk to agents directly in a friendly setting.

Roz

I read posts and Im kind of taken aback as to what goes into a cruise for other people but we're all different and for me Cruising is a safe and enjoyable way to get from A to B and visit some lovely places. And it is perfectly possible to turn up at the ship with your suitcase and have a great time. Its what I did last year on my first cruise and its what Im doing this year as well. I go onboard, unpack, read the newsletter and kind of keep in mind the things I fancy but I don't let the fact they are available rule my day/night.

Food? Well I do like my food but even if its not so great onboard Im not going to starve and I think if people are having to cook for 4000 passengers its quite unreasonable to expect anything wonderful, but if you do get wonderful its a bonus.

Shore excursions I do book ahead but not for every port of call, I like to leave a few days unplanned just so I can go with the flow on the day for the fun of it.

I do really enjoy reading about how others do their Cruising but I think I will always be a 'pack and suitcase a few days before and go' type of cruiser.

Hi all! I'm new here and new to cruising. My husband and I are hoping to cruise this April (we have to await confirmation on his vacation request). When you were first starting out, did you ever feel like your head would explode with all the information you pumped into it about cruising? I have just recently found this forum, and my brain is scrambled. It's a lot of information to absorb, as I've never really thought about cruising. There is SO much information here -- and a lot of conflicting information. It's such a personal preference type of thing, so figuring things out is a bit confusing. :eek::eek: Anyway, just wanted to say hello. I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions, so please be gentle with the replies (I will try to search for answers before asking :) ). Have a good day!

It is not common to have a "poor" first cruise.

You have nothing to compare it to:p

It is only after a few cruises that you learn the tricks and what is important.

Like a lot of things in life the journey (experiencing cruises) is half the fun;)

Edited by wally_bushy

Hi, I went on my first cruise last year and yes there was quite a lot of planning, arranging shore excursions and trying to understand how life would be on a cruise ship but it was worth it and I enjoyed every single minute. The first morning I stepped onto our balcony and saw the coastline was breathtaking and we visited so many lovely places. I think it is worthwhile doing some research before you decide on excursions as these certainly make the cruise experience. I personally chose the route on where the ship was visiting first as I had no preference to any particular Cruise Company. Last year I travelled on Liberty of the Seas with Royal Caribbean , amazing. This year I will be cruising with Cunard. I was told that once I experienced my first cruise I would be hooked and how right they were!

TMI, that's what you get from reading all the posts on CC. Just look at the member reviews and you will find two different people review the same cruise and get completely different experiences. Now I look what cruise is offered from a certain port. Living on the West Coast I try and find a cruise that leaves out of a West Coast port. This allows me to drive or fly out the same day. Flying to a port like Miami, I fly the day before and stay in a hotel. On your first cruise you will probably have your picture taken at every CL photo op and even purchase most of them. Now we just walk past the photographer and say no thanks. Just remember that every cruise line is trying to get you to empty your wallet. Be careful of diamond sales, art auctions, slot tournaments, some disguised as "seminars". Enjoy each moment while on the ship. Don't be the center of the universe. You will find rude people on a ship, just like you would anywhere else. Just have fun after all it's a vacation.