Bedspreads

basilh

Everybody likes to get into a nice clean bed that smells fresh! I have heard the reason for not changing blankets and bedspreads is that they don't have the time to do this kind of wash every turnaround. I feel that is no excuse, that the cruiselines should have at least 2 sets for each bed on the ship and every week after it quiets down for the room stewards or laundry people that they could wash a set and the other clean set is put on the beds for the new passengers. I bring a large can of Lysol and spray everything so it smells fresh and clean. If I don't like what I see regarding, sheets, blankets etc. I ask the room steward to please change them. I only had a problem 1 time and the sheets were soiled. The room steward or helper must have did a quickie clean up. I check as soon as I get into My Cabin on first day and if something doesn't look clean, I let the room steward know right away. I don't wait.

I don't think it a germ-o-phobs thing I think some people list to snuggle up with a nice clean blanket to sleep and not one covered with urine semen vomit and feces

agree that why they change the sheets and blankets every cruise..i believe the OP was referiing to bed spreads/shams/comfortor whatever you call them...these usually cannot be laudered and are chnged a little less frequently

Hmmm...interesting views. A few years ago, the ER I worked in switched from fabric to plastic chairs due to several patients coming in with scabies and head lice (we probably overdid it by doing so, but hey, what do you expect from a bunch of germ-phobic, medical professionals? :D ).

Seriously, best and easiest prevention against common viral/bacterial illness is to wash hands often, especially before eating or touching face. Wipe down surfaces children might put mouth on with disinfectant (for a school project once, colonized bacteria present on shopping cart handles--ignorance must be bliss, because really wish I hadn't!:eek: ). I don't spend much time worrying about becoming ill--primarily because with the pathogen exposure I get, would be little time for anything else;) --but I do take simple, easy precautions.

They did have the blankets double-wrapped with sheets on our recent cruise. If worried about the bedspread or couch, sure attendant would bring an extra sheet to place over.

As the OP it seems like I am not the only one that thinks about this!

Not too worried about couches etc - because I don't plan on sleeping on them - just sitting and I will be fully clothed :D

I saw one of those 20/20 type shows where they showed what was on the bedspread in hotels etc ( we don't want to go there) and that was it for me:eek:

So.....triple sheeting will work for me - thanks for all the information everyone!

Just ask for a clean blanket the first day. I sometimes just "accidentally" spill some coffee or other drink on it so that they have no choice but to bring me one and it also ensures that the wet one gets washed.:D

All the RCL cruises we have been on the (that would be 10) the bed has been triple sheeted with the blanket in the middle of two sheets.

As for bedspreads....on our last cruise there was "something" on it and I asked the room steward to have it laundered. He happily did so. We just had no bedspread for the two days it took to launder it. It was well worth it my opinion.

As for couches, if its terribly stained I usually put a towel on it. The room steward noticed I had done it (I didn't complain about it) and he met me one day and said they would be in to shampoo it and they did. As for the cushions usually found on the sofa, I always take those off and put them on top of the wardrobe.

So RCL does care what we think and they aim to please. If something is not to your liking, let someone know so they can help.

This is one of those subjects that give most anyone the creeps....nasty! I am sure on our last several cruises.....if not all of them.......that the beds were made with sheets over both sides of the blankets. And I agree with the other poster ( sorry I forgot who said it....) but I try my best to kill germs with alchohol. Firgure it can't hurt........

just pull the bed spread off, pull the bottom sheet up enough so it doesnt expose the blanket from btwn the 2 sheets, and snuggle up.

as for the couch or chair, just put a towel down.

i didnt sit on the chair, used it for a valet, and didn't think about anything else.

I allway re-move the blankets form a hotel bed and will do the same on the ship We take 2 small microfiber down blanket they roll up nice and small. There not full size but work well

here is one I found on line http://www.lnt.com/sm-microfiber-blanket--pi-1841282.html

you can all so get then at Target ot kOHLS

Wow that is going to be some haul you are bringing, maybe your entire house should be brought, remember the couches are dirty too. Oh and what about the walls, wooh we could go on and on, the dining room seats, the theatre seats,the a/c airfilters...... what's next, your own silverware?

Come on people this over obessiveness with germs is what causes the resistant kind!:eek:

I am so happy to hear this is not just me that has this germaphobia in hotels/ships. I always, always ask for an extra sheet 1st thing then do what everyone has suggested/done...cover the bedspread..or even the top sheet or blanket w/it. I have even ordered an extra one to drape the sofa. I always carry lysol w/me as well and spray not only the PHONE, REMOTE CONTROL, DOOR KNOBS AND SOFA... but the CARPET. I know..over the top, but I feel much better after doing so :)

First let me say on any of my RCCL cruises the bed sheets have been double / tripple sheeted (whatever you call it). On some of them they also had the beds set up the "European Style" (Sorry I don´t know how to word it. It has the bed linen sewed together like a sack to keep the blanket completely in it, can´t describe it better).

I agree that I like a clean bed and room but it hasn´t to be sterile. I never use the beadspread and put it away first thing but I also never need it. I also never would sit "blank" / uncovered on the sofa or chair in the room as I don´t like to walk over the carpet with bare feet.

Always remember when sitting down dressed anywhere in your room, never sit down dressed on the clean bed sheets as you might spread germs from your pants to your clean bed, as you probably sat down somewhere around the ship, plane, bus, .......

However I want to point out and reflect some of the things you are doing.

You wipe down everything in the cabin first upon boarding (same for hotel rooms of course). That´s fine as long as you realize that you now have to wash hands carefully everytime when you enter your cabin first before touching anything. If you do this you´ll still be fine, but oh wait, your steward will have to do this too (something I doubt), otherwise you´ll have to wipe down your room at least twice a day during your stay. And remember you don´t know what your steward uses to clean your room it might be the same stuff he used in the cabin next door. And he even might clean the bath / toilett with the same stuff he wipes the telephone or remote control.

You also said you spray the carpet with Lysol. I doubt this will help anything unless you soak it with Lysol as it may not kill very much otherwise.

Well having done this you have to remember to take of your shoes before stepping on the carpet, otherwise you will spread germs your shoes picked up around the ship, islands you visited, etc. to your Lysol soaked carpet and you would have to do it again. But wait your steward, room service and everybody who enters your room will have to take of their shoes for the same reason. As you probably won´t get them to do this you´ll have to soak your carpet at least twice a day too.

What you all are doing is a very bad habit as it´s not good for your health but it actually enables germs to get immune against desinfectants and very soon there won´t be any stuff be able to kill them.

On the other hand you prevent your bidy to keep track of germs and learn how to handle them. This weakens your immune system. Especially children need the training for their body and be onfronted with germs to fight them down.

We don´t live in a sterile environment and never ever will.

Ok ok....as the OP I was just talking about stains on the bedspread NOTHING ELSE......and the fact that they never wash the d**n things. I agree with whoever said they should have two sets and wash them after each cruise. Not alot to ask I think. This is my first RCL cruise and as long as they triple sheet the bed I am good to go........

BUT having said that.......if people want to use lysol or whatever they want to 'kill the germs' in their room GO FOR IT. I say do whatever makes you feel more comfortable. To each his own!

Thanks for the responses!

[quote name='basilh']Ok ok....as the OP I was just talking about stains on the bedspread NOTHING ELSE......and the fact that they never wash the d**n things. I agree with whoever said they should have two sets and wash them after each cruise. Not alot to ask I think. This is my first RCL cruise and as long as they triple sheet the bed I am good to go........

BUT having said that.......if people want to use lysol or whatever they want to 'kill the germs' in their room GO FOR IT. I say do whatever makes you feel more comfortable. To each his own!

Thanks for the responses![/QUOTE]

I agree with the OP 100 per cent. Obviously alot of others do too!!!

I dont bring the spray but I bring the wipes and wipe everything down first thing we get there. I also wipe out the drawers before we put our clothes in there. It is filthy in most of these rooms when you first get there. I don't want to get the norwalk virus and ruin my trip. Can't hurt to be careful.

[quote name='bluehorizonlover123']I dont bring the spray but I bring the wipes and wipe everything down first thing we get there. I also wipe out the drawers before we put our clothes in there. It is filthy in most of these rooms when you first get there. [color=red][b]I don't want to get the norwalk virus and ruin my trip.[/b][/color] Can't hurt to be careful.[/QUOTE]

Of course I won´t tell you anything new when saying that the Lysol Whipes won´t kill Norovirus and that bleach solution is needed to clean a norovirus contaminated surface. ;)

I am not over obsessing about germs at all. I also saw the 20-20 special where they went over every surface with blue light. What they found made me gag. My main concern is the BED. I dont want a urine or anything else spotted spread on my nice clean sheets. Cmon guys, we are gonna sleep there. I dont mind sitting on the chairs, or touching surfaces, I know germs are everywhere, even in my nice clean house. If RCI triple sheets their beds, terrific. I dont think the OP meant anything else by her thread, she was not obsessing about germs either. Some people are reading something else into this, that isnt there.

I too am a tad weird about germs. I always order a extra sheet and cover the couch so I can lay on it and feel clean. I never never use the bedspread....
I know there are germs around the ship but I dont put my face on it.I already packed lysol for the bathrooms and antibacteria for my purse.
I wish I wasnt so concerned about germs but I feel better just doing a couple simple things to help the matter. Happy Sailing everyone!!!

Archived