Magic's Condition

wilfros

I am reading other blog sites and they are constantly complaining about the physical condition of Magic, this after being reimagined.

Here is a quote of the things that were problems:

some guests did not have working toilets, showers, hot water, air conditioning, electricity or any combination of those.

Anyone recently on Magic, I am hoping will post here and set my concerns to rest. :eek:

I am reading other blog sites and they are constantly complaining about the physical condition of Magic, this after being reimagined.

Here is a quote of the things that were problems:

some guests did not have working toilets, showers, hot water, air conditioning, electricity or any combination of those.

Anyone recently on Magic, I am hoping will post here and set my concerns to rest. :eek:

Plumbing issues are usually by deck or zone of the ship. They are specifically separated so that a whole deck doesn't go out of service and because of the fire zone separation.

Same for AC and Electrical.

The Magic is going back into dry dock this year because not only were a lot of the upgrades and refurbishments not completed in Cadiz on time to set sail, but because she has to have another within the 5 year period.

They probably would have chosen 2016 if all had gone well, but they overstretched themselves and a lot that was supposed to get fixed/replaced didn't happen.

Unfortunately the Imagineers take priority with DCL and the Engineers are always second place when it comes to priorities and budget.

The Imagineers get to walk away with a new spaces and a slide that all work, the Engineers are left to pick up the pieces unfortunately.

I hope you get some good reports, but your Stateroom number or at least a location would help others to share their recent experiences as it WILL vary deck to deck. Not that that guarantees no problems with the old infrastructure that haven't appeared yet whilst they scrabble around to try to fix what should have been fixed in 2013..

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

I spent 24 nights on the Magic in 2014 (combination of May and September, 2 different cabins).

We found her to be in excellent condition with no problems. In addition, on one cruise we had a phone call and on the other a visit from a housekeeping supervisor specifically asking about any problems with our cabin and was there anything we needed or they could do.

It was a VERY pleasant contrast to the fall of 2013 when one cabin had something leaking inside the ceiling and constantly keeping our carpet wet. We were on a B2B, and after enduring that for the first leg, 2 days before the end I went to GS and insisted on a different cabin for the second leg. We were given an upgrade, but placed in a cabin with a plumbing problem in the bathroom with the tub with a stench so bad that we kept the door closed and showered in the spa. The host worked on it, the housekeeping supervisor came, etc. Finally I called GS and told them that it was NOT a housekeeping problem and we needed a plumber. He came, said he knew what it was and would be back in 10 minutes. Came back with tools and supplies, worked maybe 20 minutes, told me to not run water in there for 4 hours and gave me his card to call him directly if it wasn't perfect. It was! But it didn't need to take 4 days for the housekeeping to realize this wasn't a cleaning issue!

SO, as to 2014, I found her to be in great shape in both public areas and our cabins. No issues at all. Perhaps you should research the dates on the complaints. I'm aware that there were some problems right after the dry dock, but we certainly found none by May. Maybe they got them all fixed???? Or maybe we got lucky twice with "great" cabins.

Note--on trip with leak from ceiling, stateroom host brought an industrial fan to dry carpet and at least 3 times, workmen were in there and claimed it was "fixed." Yeah, each time it stayed "fixed" for a few hours. My point is that they were aware of the problem and never got it resolved over our 12 night cruise.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thanks everyone. This is somewhat unnerving. I don't know the cabins because we booked a guaranteed inside and I am told we won't know the numbers until at least 2 weeks before the cruise. Gives me lots of time to worry if my bucket list cruise with the Grandchildren is all a waste of money.

I should get a good night's sleep now. But thanks for the replys

If there is a problem with your cabin, go to GS immediately and request that it be repaired ASAP. Do not tolerate a cabin that has "issues." If it cannot be fixed, ask to be moved.

AND...Lloyd from India is the hotel manager on the Magic except when he is on vacation. Make a point of meeting him at one of the receptions in the atrium. He will take out his notebook and write down your cabin number and then follow up personally. He has done this for us when the issue was quite minor. I wish he had been on board when we had serious issues.

They will not move an IGT booking because you don't like your location but they WILL if there is something wrong in the cabin that can't be fixed promptly.

Well can you control your Stateroom with a GTY?

No

Can you worry about it?

Yes!

Should You worry about it?

No!

Why?

Because they will not purposely put you in to a Stateroom that has known issues!

And if you do happen to have issues, tell them. And they will do very thing they can to fix those issues.

You do know the Dream and Fantasy have issues too right?

Ships flex, up and down and left to right and sometimes the plumbing craps out, or someone flushes something they shouldn't, or 3 big power hairdryers are plugged in and used at once in one Stateroom, when they only support one or two. The power trips out several Staterooms.

So what? They will rectify it as soon and as best they can.

If your going to be a panicky Grammy, you will destroy all of the enjoyment leading up to the cruise for you and everyone.

Try to go with the flow of cruising! :)

Best wishes for you to relax about it, and for a safe and great cruise with the Grandkiddies!

ex techie

We were on the Magic post dry dock for 11 days a year ago and had no issues.

We were on the Fantasy 2 months ago and finally met Lloyd, the hotel director.

Darn, I do remember hearing that Lloyd was moving to the Fantasy after his last vacation. He's absolutely the best. Sorry to lose him from the Magic.

If your going to be a panicky Grammy, you will destroy all of the enjoyment leading up to the cruise for you and everyone.

Try to go with the flow of cruising! :)

Best wishes for you to relax about it, and for a safe and great cruise with the Grandkiddies!

ex techie

Thanks ex techie and to everyone else that replied.

In fact I slept well last night and you did say it best. Relax, go with the flow and only face what you actually encounter rather than what you imagine or worry about.

I really do appreciate all the replies about those that sailed on Magic without problems and I look forward to returning with similar experiences.

We were on the Magic last October for a 10 day bxb and the bed was so uncomfortable that my husband used the red Disney pillow to support his side of the mattress. Also there was a leak in the ceiling that leaked the whole time giving us wet carpet in the hallway from the closet to the bed. I think it was room 5626. I will check my records and give the correct room number if that is wrong.

the Imagineers take priority with DCL and the Engineers are always second place when it comes to priorities and budget.

The Imagineers get to walk away with a new spaces and a slide that all work, the Engineers are left to pick up the pieces

Just as it should be--thanks for confirming that!

Seriously, though, isn't it the onboard engineers' job to "make the ship work" and the Imagineers job to "make the ship better"? Based on your statement in this thread and countless others, it seems that you had a bad experience with Imagineering at some point in your Disney cruise career. That's too bad, but isn't it time to (as a very popular Disney character would say) let it go?

There's a "yes, but" here though. If the Imagineers design a system that doesn't work right or that forces engineering to do something sub-optimal in order to work around the "cool" design, we may all suffer. And even little changes to the Imagineer's design are not permitted, regardless of how they might improve function.

Sorry, but I learned that from a former president of the cruise line. When specifically asked what we would do to improve the ship, I made my "This may seem like a really dumb little thing, but a small shelf in the showers in the spa would be really helpful..." and ALL the women enthusiastically jumped on the idea. And Mr. McAlpin replied that there was nothing small when it came to Imagineer's and they would have to sign off on it since it would be a visible change.Would have to obtain matching Italian marble tile, etc. WHY did they sit us down and ask about ideas if each idea, no matter how big or small was shot down as either "would have to involve Imagineering" or "probably not in the budget."

I GET that the primarily male Imagineer's didn't think of this to begin with, but come on. A shelf in a shower is a big deal?

I've had CMs make comments about how the systems were designed to work around the "pretty." These are usually framed as "We don't like it because it means that we have to......." Sorry, safety, then function, then pretty.

Plumbing issues are usually by deck or zone of the ship. They are specifically separated so that a whole deck doesn't go out of service and because of the fire zone separation.

Same for AC and Electrical.

The Magic is going back into dry dock this year because not only were a lot of the upgrades and refurbishments not completed in Cadiz on time to set sail, but because she has to have another within the 5 year period.

They probably would have chosen 2016 if all had gone well, but they overstretched themselves and a lot that was supposed to get fixed/replaced didn't happen.

Unfortunately the Imagineers take priority with DCL and the Engineers are always second place when it comes to priorities and budget.

The Imagineers get to walk away with a new spaces and a slide that all work, the Engineers are left to pick up the pieces unfortunately.

I hope you get some good reports, but your Stateroom number or at least a location would help others to share their recent experiences as it WILL vary deck to deck. Not that that guarantees no problems with the old infrastructure that haven't appeared yet whilst they scrabble around to try to fix what should have been fixed in 2013..

ex techie

Do you know when in 2015 it's going back into dry dock?

Just as it should be--thanks for confirming that!

Seriously, though, isn't it the onboard engineers' job to "make the ship work" and the Imagineers job to "make the ship better"? Based on your statement in this thread and countless others, it seems that you had a bad experience with Imagineering at some point in your Disney cruise career. That's too bad, but isn't it time to (as a very popular Disney character would say) let it go?

Hi iceman93,

If you are happy to have new venues and slides vs. plumbing, ac issues, fair enough.

It is completely the job of the engineers to "make the ship work", but they also need the time and budget spent to enable that.

And no, I didn't have a bad experience with the Imagineers, I just disagree with the priorities that they are afforded, and as posted them walking away and those onboard having to then try to pick up the pieces and modify afterwards despite warnings that is not practical/poorly thought out/likely to be very high maintenance/more labor intensive.

ex techie