Partially Obstructed Balcony on Solstice

KazAllen

Looking at a cruise from Hawaii to Sydney in Sept 2016 (just did one on Radiance and loved it) on Celebrity Solstice and some of the verandah cabins on deck 6 say that they have partially obstructed views. Can anyone tell me what the obstruction would be and can you still use your balcony and have a view? Many thanks, Karen:confused:

Almost certainly a lifeboat or tender. The obstruction is generally not bad--typically you can see out but not down. If you check the cabin info thread or post your cabin number you'll probably find out more. If you're lucky you might find a youtube video of your specific cabin.

It's very simple. The 2C cabins have the top of the lifeboats at the level of the floor of the balcony, so yes you can see out but not straight down to the water. In 2Ds, the top of the lifeboat is at the balcony railing, so if you were seated you would see mostly lifeboat. If standing, you can see straight out. The balcony is still perfectly usable, no smaller than any other balcony.

We tend to always book a 2c nowadays, mostly for the good value for money, plus we like being on a lower deck because of the motion.

The cabin is identical to others, as is the balcony size and you still get a great view.

Cheers! :)

image.jpg.a1de80bb9641eae418611e6fe8f39105.jpg

It's very simple. The 2C cabins have the top of the lifeboats at the level of the floor of the balcony, so yes you can see out but not straight down to the water. In 2Ds, the top of the lifeboat is at the balcony railing, so if you were seated you would see mostly lifeboat. If standing, you can see straight out. The balcony is still perfectly usable, no smaller than any other balcony.

Not entirely true. The 2Cs at the end of deck 6 towards the back don't have an obstruction per se. The "obstruction" is that the roof of the specialty restaurant below juts out beyond the balcony railing, so you can't look "directly down" to the water. We had one of these in the past & will be in one again in a month. I had no issue w/it whatsoever, but my BF didn't like that he couldn't look straight down to the water. To each his own I guess!

The difference is due to the lifeboat type. The tenders are taller, so if you have one of those below you, you're in a 2D. If it's a normal lifeboat, it's a 2C.

Not entirely true. The 2Cs at the end of deck 6 towards the back don't have an obstruction per se. The "obstruction" is that the roof of the specialty restaurant below juts out beyond the balcony railing, so you can't look "directly down" to the water. We had one of these in the past & will be in one again in a month. I had no issue w/it whatsoever, but my BF didn't like that he couldn't look straight down to the water. To each his own I guess!

True on both counts!

True on both counts!

LOL...The first time we had a 2C we saved around $1000 by downgrading to it. When he said he didn't like the fact that he couldn't look straight down and see water, my response was, "Do you think looking down and seeing water is worth $1000? For $1000, pick your head up and look out AT the water." LOL

We just returned and stayed in a 2C. The views of ports and the sea were fine. I would not hesitate to stay again. Honestly I can't figure out why the cabin six feet above my head was any better of a view. I could see the ports perfectly and actually when we looked straight down - you would see the promenade. I will say the only downside is the light from the lifeboats which reflected into our balcony. I would also assume this was the same for the rooms above.

Edited by cruiserjt
picture failure