Private tours in Caribbean ports

fastnloose

Hi, We last went to the Caribbean many years ago. On that trip, there were plenty of tours touting as we disembarked offering trips around the area. Can anyone tell me if this is still the case, and if so, what should we be wary of when taking one of these tours. Many thanks

Your question might be better addressed in the ports of call forum for the individual ports that you are traveling to for your cruise. However, in order for anyone to provide any additional assistance to you here, knowledge of which ports you're visiting on your cruise would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

There are plenty of tour operators offering various options at the ports. We usually book our tours ahead, but sometimes we do pick up a tour on the dock. So far, those tours have been good to excellent; we haven't had one that we thought was awful. We almost never do ship tours.

Some ports we just do our own thing; walk around, use public transportation, etc. I use the ports of call area on these boards and Trip Advisor for advise.

Also check your roll call for ideas and groups. Sometimes if you can preform a group you can get a better rate. The only ships tour we take in the Caribbean is if we stop and St. Thomas and want to go to St. John. The ship's tour worked out to be almost as cheap as the cost of taxis to and from the ferry and the ferry to St. John and of course, the ship won't sail without you if you are one of their tours.

For our first cruise in March we have already booked our excursions privately for both St. Martin and St. Thomas. Am a big user of Trip Advisor so did all my research beforehand. Both excursion providers have excellent ratings and both "guarantee" to get you back to the ship on time - not one reviewer has said that they didn't so we feel pretty safe (although nothing in this world is 100% guaranteed!). And, with Paypal giving a deposit is easy and secure.