NEED ONE question answered on Ports for next cruise!!

We are booking our shore excursions now, and need to know which port area has a better shopping district to get souvenirs - either Madeira Spain or Funchal Portugal. We are looking to book an all day tour at either port and wanted a 1/2 day tour with time for shopping in the other port. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stefanie

I think you'll do better with 1/2 day tour in Madeira plus shopping. It's a beautiful island but the "sightseeing" is limited & the shopping (wicker, linen, embroidery, wine) is great. In Malaga, a full day excursion to the Alhambra is very popular.

Enjoy!

Maryann

You might want to do Funchal on your own. Cruise ships usually dock just 15 or so mins walk from the main promenade area. when we were there, there was even a little private shuttle boat (very cheap, 5 mins) if you didnt fancy the short stroll.

We strolled along to the funicular, went up, (and you just walk 5 mins to the toboggans) joined the (long, there were 3 ships in) line for the toboggan ride, got off at the finish point 1/2 way down the hill, then strolled down to the town centre. Its pretty to walk around, very compact and you can go into the Madeiran wine tasting centre where you can sample wines from around the island. (Free) We visited the indoor market which was fascinating. Wonderfully colourful with fab flowers and plants, and all manner of exotic fruits we were not familiar with. We then walked around the shops and back to the ship via the promenade, marina etc.

Unless you are wanting to see parts of the island outside of Funchal, your day can easily be spent in the town on your own. And on the day we were there, the cruise ship tours were lining up with everyone else for the toboggans. There didnt appear to be any prebooking arrangements.

Well, since you mentioned Malaga, who thinks that an excursion to the Alhambra is worth the trek? I've been to Granada, and the Alhambra, and it is truly outstanding, I know. I'm just not sure I want to do 3 hours on a bus, but then again, I'm not sure what I would do in Malaga for the day either (I've been there too.) My husband hasn't been either place.

A popular excursion in the Malaga area is to go around the "white villages". If not organised or self hire, probably the easiest to do is Mijas. Theres frequent trains from Malaga along to the many coastal towns and the line runs from early to late. Trains are very cheap. take the train from Malaga to its terminus at Fuengirola. Then get a local bus or taxi up to Mijas. This is a very easy, non stressful and cheap trip.

Malaga itself is not wildly interesting but has an old town which is worth wandering around. Theres several places to visit, including the new Picasso museum. A half day is enough.

You can also take the train for the very short scenic trip up to Alora, centre of the orange growing industry. Its worth a trip. Again a half day.

Archived