Flam Railway

dorsetlad

I've just been on the Flamsbana site and under the faqs 'can I buy tickets for two online' I'm a bit concerned about the reference to Bergen and it's connection to buying a Flam railway ticket. I've a feeling that you may only be able to buy tickets in advance (for less than ten people) if it's part of a longer onward journey. I hope that I am wrong but that would be consistent with my understanding of the situation up to a couple of years ago. I wish you luck and hope that the t&c have changed.

I get the feeling that the reference to Bergen covers the situation when what the passenger wants is a through-journey all the way to Bergen. I think the Visit Flam website is saying that in that situation you have to buy that through ticket from the national railway site. But it seems clear that if what you want is the tourist journey on the Flambana (Flam to Meerdal and back), then you can buy tickets for that on-line in advance.

I get the feeling that the reference to Bergen covers the situation when what the passenger wants is a through-journey all the way to Bergen. I think the Visit Flam website is saying that in that situation you have to buy that through ticket from the national railway site. But it seems clear that if what you want is the tourist journey on the Flambana (Flam to Meerdal and back), then you can buy tickets for that on-line in advance.

Yes - I think that's correct tom as the T&Cs have changed in recent years. When I made the enquiry some years ago at the Bergen tourist office it was clear that you couid only buy tickets as part of an onward journey. (We were in Flam the following day and I thought we may be able to get round the on-line minimum of 10 tickets for advance sales that way.)

But excellent news that you can now buy on-line for single tickets - I never understood why they wouldn't allow it before as it's computerised after all - no one needed to answer the phone! Thanks for the clarification/confirmation.

Now just need to decide whether to buy the tickets beforehand and just do the journey - or am I persuaded by the positive reports of the day trip? More exensive but perhaps worth it.

P.S. Just had a look at your Blog. Sure I used to read it some time ago but it's slipped from my attention. Thanks for bringing it to my notice again - very interesting and informative. Will bookmark it now!

Edited by kruzseeka