Balcony - Mid or Aft / Covered or Not

ilovetotravel1977

We are going to be upgrading our cabin tomorrow and I have a few questions about location, balcony coverage, etc.

I was looking at the midship deck 10 balconies, the ones that don't have the lifeboats underneath (cat BB, cabin 10155), although you can see the deck 8 folks under you. For those who have sailed in this category, was that annoying to be able to look down onto others? I definitely wouldn't want to be in those deck 8 balconies.

The other ones I was looking at was deck 8, Aft, covered balconies (cat BF, cabin 8199) with no lifeboats. Anyone sail in one of those?

Also, does starboard or port side offer better views while docked/sailing or does it not really matter?

Which location(s) would you prefer?

I realize there are no elevators/stairs mid ship.

Thanks!

Edited by ilovetotravel1977

I'm guessing you're talking about Epic, which I've not sailed.

However, there are lifeboats and a deck sticking out on the Breakaway and other ships I've cruised. My preference is to look down at the water, but we had a forward BA cabin on Breakaway deck 11 and it was fine. Overlooked the shuffleboard court.

I think the BB forward would be fine. It's not like you sit there and look straight down all the time, right?

Port or starboard usually doesn't matter to us.

Edited by mizlorinj

We are going to be upgrading our cabin tomorrow and I have a few questions about location, balcony coverage, etc.

The other ones I was looking at was deck 8, Aft, covered balconies (cat BF, cabin 8199) with no lifeboats. Anyone sail in one of those?

I realize there are no elevators/stairs mid ship.

Thanks!

Yes, I remember doing lots of research for our Epic cruise in 2013. I finally settled on cabin 8197 (BF). Chose that particular location precisely because of the us obstructed straight down view. Every time we were on our balcony, we'd comment that we were glad we weren't in the higher priced balconies overlooking those lifeboats! We also had our steward replace the two chairs with two loungers (yes they fit). As for the location, we loved the aft and easy access to the elevators/stairs.

Also pay attention to the bed configuration. Glad again I had researched and chose a cabin with the bed by the balcony. As you probably have read, the sink is in the room, so in cabins where the bed is closer to the bathroom (as it is in cabin 8199 -- you can tell by the curve of the wall on the deck plans), you will have very little room to stand in front of the sink because of the bed being directly behind you.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I realize the room configuration, however, that category is sold out now so I'll just take what we get. I originally wanted the bed by the balcony, oh well. We don't spend much time in the room, especially now that we went from an inside to a balcony :)

Good to know about the loungers!

Yes, I remember doing lots of research for our Epic cruise in 2013. I finally settled on cabin 8197 (BF). Chose that particular location precisely because of the us obstructed straight down view. Every time we were on our balcony, we'd comment that we were glad we weren't in the higher priced balconies overlooking those lifeboats! We also had our steward replace the two chairs with two loungers (yes they fit). As for the location, we loved the aft and easy access to the elevators/stairs.

Also pay attention to the bed configuration. Glad again I had researched and chose a cabin with the bed by the balcony. As you probably have read, the sink is in the room, so in cabins where the bed is closer to the bathroom (as it is in cabin 8199 -- you can tell by the curve of the wall on the deck plans), you will have very little room to stand in front of the sink because of the bed being directly behind you.

Hope this helps.

That should have read "UNobstructed straight down view".

As regards to port or starboard? take a look at your itinerary to see which way you will be sailing and ask yourself, do you prefer to look out to sea or towards land? Do you prefer watching the sunrise? or sunset?